Good Econ Introduction Book for 0L? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sfdreaming09

Bronze

Re: Good Econ Introduction Book for noel?

Post by sfdreaming09 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
We are talking about graduate programs, right? Because in my rather extensive experience, Chicago undergrads majoring in econ are generally talentless, uninteresting gunner hacks who can't get over their Not YLS rejections. :your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable:
I was a graduate student, yes. I was a TA for some of those "uninteresting gunner hacks" and perhaps you are not completely incorrect. However, most of the undergrad students I interacted with were international students who were dealing with insecurities arising out of their rejections from Oxbridge, not HYPS. Keep in mind that international students believe that UChicago is the 7th best university in the world and the 3rd best college in America. (Laughable to Americans perhaps, but UChicago is a VERY internationally respected institution.)

For American law students, we obsess over the USNWR rankings the same way international students obsess over the THES world rankings for colleges.[/quote]

Doubt it. Do you really think that Stanford is considered only the 14th best university in the world (behind Cornell and Duke, only one spot ahead of Australian National University)?

Most of my family lives abroad (France, England, and Germany) and for them Harvard and Stanford are uniformly considered the best in the U.S. After those two schools, Berkeley, MIT, and, perhaps, Princeton and Yale, are the only other schools with much international cachet.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:47 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:Doubt it. Do you really think that Stanford is considered only the 14th best university in the world (behind Cornell and Duke, only one spot ahead of Australian National University)?

Most of my family lives abroad (France, England, and Germany) and for them Harvard and Stanford are uniformly considered the best in the U.S. After those two schools, Berkeley, MIT, and, perhaps, Princeton and Yale, are the only other schools with much international cachet.
Are they expats from San Francisco, or are they actually French, British, and German? No doubt Stanford is a highly respected school, but LOL!

wjnahill

Bronze

Re: Good Econ Introduction Book for 0L?

Post by wjnahill » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:49 pm

Muckduck wrote:
KimmyGibbler wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:Take it from a University of Chicago econ graduate:

Henry Hazlitt's "Economics in One Lesson"
Charles Wheelan "Naked Economics"
Subscribe to The Economist, or at least peruse the website

(Keep in mind that nothing can replace a graduate degree in economics from the University of Chicago or M.I.T. however. :wink: )
I would be more impressed with an economics degree from Columbia or Harvard
Then you are unaware that an Econ degree from Chicago is FAR SUPERIOR to either of those two. Top two Econ = MIT and Chicago in that order (sorry Hopeful :D ).
Amherst College Econ. Produced 2 Nobel Laureates in the last 5 years. We used Mankiw's book for Intro to Econ, but everyone hated it.

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Unemployed wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:Doubt it. Do you really think that Stanford is considered only the 14th best university in the world (behind Cornell and Duke, only one spot ahead of Australian National University)?

Are they expats from San Francisco, or are they actually French, British, and German? No doubt Stanford is a highly respected school, but LOL!
Nope. They're all actually from those countries. Have you ever been to Europe? Everybody knows Harvard and Stanford. Besides those two, like i said, Berkeley, MIT, and, possibly, Yale and Princeton, are the only schools that a large number of people would actually recognize.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:36 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:

Nope. They're all actually from those countries. Have you ever been to Europe? Everybody knows Harvard and Stanford. Besides those two, like i said, Berkeley, MIT, and, possibly, Yale and Princeton, are the only schools that a large number of people would actually recognize.
I spend a lot of time in Europe - even so, figuring out which American university they consider the best is pretty low on my list of priorities.

And tbf, not everybody knows Stanford.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:51 am

I am currently reading the Undercover Economist. I am enjoying it and I feel like I am learning some useful concepts, but I don't know if they will help much with Law School.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:36 pm

xanderdellus wrote:I am currently reading the Undercover Economist. I am enjoying it and I feel like I am learning some useful concepts, but I don't know if they will help much with Law School.
+1 Great book to start with if you don't have a background in econ.

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Has anyone read The Myth of the Rational Market by Justin Fox. He was featured on NPR Morning Edition this morning. I personally have never really bought into the rational consumer theory (Most people are idiots even when seeking their own interests), so I am very interested.

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Take it from a University of Chicago econ graduate:

Henry Hazlitt's "Economics in One Lesson"
Charles Wheelan "Naked Economics"
Subscribe to The Economist, or at least peruse the website

(Keep in mind that nothing can replace a graduate degree in economics from the University of Chicago or M.I.T. however. :wink: )
+1
This is the one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:33 pm

No need to pre study before law school. Certainly no need to pre-study a subject related to it. That being said, if your interested in economics go for it! And the economist is something everyone should read ocasionally. Just don't feel forced into it because you think it will improve your exam scores (it wont).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”