Daniel Webster Scholar Honors Program at Franklin Pierce

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
acash09

Daniel Webster Scholar Honors Program at Franklin Pierce

Postby acash09 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:46 am

I am hoping to get some information on the Daniel Webster Scholar Honors Program at Franklin Pierce Law Center, especially from participants in the program. It seems quite impressive on FPLC's website.
http://www.piercelaw.edu/websterscholar/

abc99

Re: Daniel Webster Scholar Honors Program at Franklin Pierce

Postby abc99 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:39 pm

What would you like to know?

acash09

Postby acash09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:31 am

I'm curious what it's like, what day to day activities entail, and how competitive it is to get into the program.

lgfindlay

Postby lgfindlay » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:23 pm

I am a 3L at Pierce Law who is participating in the DWS program. 13 colleagues and I will be sworn into the NH Bar on May 14, a day before we and our classmates graduate from law school.

The DWS selection process is rigorous, although certainly not impossible. Interviews are held during spring of 1L year. Prospects also need to submit an application, writing sample, and recommendations. GPA requirements are very reasonable: all you have to do is graduate with a 3.0. There is an effort to bring on a diverse body of participants. (After all, how much would you learn if everyone thought exactly alike?)

The program stresses teamwork and cooperation. Although we are all competitive by nature, I have never seen anyone "torpedo" another. We have seen each other through deaths, births, engagements, and the job interview process. We are genuinely happy for each other's achievements and successes.

The faculty and adjunct professors are "cherry-picked" for their skill, experience, reputation, and teaching ability. Each DWS participant is assigned to a particular bar examiner, who monitors that student's progress over the next 2 years. The schedule and program content are admittedly demanding: we have to take several courses that are optional for other students, as well as others that are specifically designed for the program. But the program is decidedly manageable for the diligent, motivated, and organized student: most of the program participants have the time to also be involved in multiple extra-curricular activities (such as moot court and mock trial competitions, law review, volunteering at area organizations, serving as TAs, etc.)

One DWS program requirement is submitting weekly journal entries, where we reflect (and reflect and reflect) upon how our class assignments are making us "client-ready." Although we sometimes moan and groan about having to do so, these reflections benchmark our growth.

Although some may suggest that it's "unfair" that we don't have to sit for a bar exam, my fellow DWS participants and I have actually been taking a bar exam for the past ***two years.*** Our portfolio of work has been reviewed by our instructors and bar examiners over the past 4 semesters. Also, most of us plan to sit for bar exams in other states this summer.

acash09

Postby acash09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 pm

Wow, thank you so much lgfindlay! This was very helpful.

lgfindlay

Postby lgfindlay » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:05 pm

My pleasure. It's a great school. I hope you consider coming here.

acash09

Postby acash09 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:09 pm

What do you think about the affiliation with the University of New Hampshire?

lgfindlay

Postby lgfindlay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:57 am

I'll still be graduating with Pierce Law on my diploma, so it doesn't affect me much. Like anything else, the plan has its proponents and its opponents. Even as early as this summer, new "hands-on" clinics will be launching. There may be new joint degree programs. Easpecially attractive to undergrads might be a proposed 3/3 program, where you go from high school to JD in six years, rather than 7. So far, the opponents seem to be primarily concerned about name recognition. (FPLC has a great reputation abroad and in fed. courts for its IP expertise.) There is also concern that that the school may move to Durham someday: right now, we're in the state capital and there are more externshp opportunities in Concord at firms, state agencies, and courthouses (inc. the NH Supreme Courthouse.)

The school is actively encouraging open and honest ***dialogue*** to facilitate the process. I think that says a lot about how the school values and tries to accommodate student opinion.

acash09

Postby acash09 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:33 pm

I'm pretty impressed by this school, I'm going to plan a visit soon. Thanks for all your insight lgfindlay.

Return to “Law School FAQ”