Is law school right for me?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
RogerWaters

Is law school right for me?

Postby RogerWaters » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:52 pm

I am a second semester junior, my whole life I've been a really good test taker (1450 on SAT, 175 on practice LSAT, high IQ score, etc.) but am generally pretty piss poor at school. I graduated high school with a 2.1 GPA and am doing about the same in college (including having been on academic probation twice since I've been here).

I've thought that I had wanted to be a lawyer for a while, but am now having reservations about it after reading the amount of school work that one is expected to do. I've had a few jobs and always handle those well - but for whatever reason I'm real bad with putting off school work and usually end up handing in poorer quality work, if at all.

Should I look for something to do outside of law school, or stay with it?

If you think law school wouldn't be right, any suggestions for what you think is right would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

starsong

Re: Is law school right for me?

Postby starsong » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:22 pm

RogerWaters wrote:I am a second semester junior, my whole life I've been a really good test taker (1450 on SAT, 175 on practice LSAT, high IQ score, etc.) but am generally pretty piss poor at school. I graduated high school with a 2.1 GPA and am doing about the same in college (including having been on academic probation twice since I've been here).

I've thought that I had wanted to be a lawyer for a while, but am now having reservations about it after reading the amount of school work that one is expected to do. I've had a few jobs and always handle those well - but for whatever reason I'm real bad with putting off school work and usually end up handing in poorer quality work, if at all.

Should I look for something to do outside of law school, or stay with it?

If you think law school wouldn't be right, any suggestions for what you think is right would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Law school is a highly academic discipline. You're probably best finding a job you like and excelling at it.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:17 pm

Ask your doctor if law school is right for you!*

*Law school was generally well tolerated, but some students have experienced certain side effects including but not limited to: caffiene addiction, crippling debt, vitamin D deficiency, depression, and anger at the world.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:21 pm

nealric wrote:Ask your doctor if law school is right for you!*

*Law school was generally well tolerated, but some students have experienced certain side effects including but not limited to: caffiene addiction, crippling debt, vitamin D deficiency, depression, and anger at the world.

Might be your best post..

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:23 pm

It sounds like you should do something else for a while after UG. There is a lot a maturing that happens after you graduate, I am 29 and I doubt that I could have handled LS at 22. The legal profession isn't going anywhere and you have plenty of time to get into it. Do your best to finish up school with as high a GPA as you can muster and get out there and work.

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:25 pm

if you have to ask, you'll never know

flawyer

Postby flawyer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:26 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
nealric wrote:Ask your doctor if law school is right for you!*

Might be your best post..

great post!

flawyer

Postby flawyer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:31 pm

So.....

1) You do well on standardized tests but you're too lazy to do well in school....

2) And you think that this is sufficient information for us to judge whether or not you should go to law school?

3) Moreover, you would seriously consider other job recommendations that we would give you when all that we know about you is that: "You do well on standardized test but you're too lazy to do well in school...."

I would say no, no, don't go to law school.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:34 pm

No. Thread/

Return to “Law School FAQ”