Valparaiso, John Marshall or U of St. Thomas?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cuebe

Valparaiso, John Marshall or U of St. Thomas?

Postby cuebe » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:48 am

Valpo (TTTT) gave me 50% off tuition for L1. Will retain for L2 and L3 with a 2.9 GPA. Median is 2.7 and top 1/3 is 3.0.

John Marshall (TTTT) is sticker price same with U of St. Thomas (TTT). I'm from Chicago so I could live with my parents for John Marshall though it would be a rather long commute. I plan to see if they are open for decision on merit money.

Have been wait listed at DePaul and LSU. Still waiting to hear back on several school too.

Please no flamers. Thanks for the input. Need to make this decision rather quickly, those deposit deadlines are quickly approaching.
Last edited by cuebe on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Re: Valparaiso, John Marshall or U of St. Thomas?

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 am

None of the above if you can. Job prospects from these schools are going to be pretty bad. Wait a year, improve your LSAT, get work experience, and reapply if you can.

If you must go to law school this cycle I'd go to Valpo and drop out if I lost the scholarship money, and after graduation I'd be prepared for the worst, not being able to get a good legal job.

cuebe

Postby cuebe » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:37 am

1st time I took the LSAT I score 144. One year later I scored 154. I don't think doing better is a realistic option. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, one of the schools I'm wait listed on will give me good news.

raskolnikov32

Postby raskolnikov32 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:52 am

Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geesh106

Postby Geesh106 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 am

My vote would be U. St. Thomas. Minneapolis is a great city and you're minimizing your job competition from graduates of other law schools (assuming you wouldn't mind settling in Minnesota after law school). Chicago is too saturated with attorneys, to go to a lower tier school. I know this all too well!

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:05 am

Valpo if you want a shot at getting a job in Chicago (not a great job, but a job). St. Thomas isn't going to travel well to Chicago, but it's probably your best offer if you're location-indifferent.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:04 am

St Thomas is not TTTT?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:51 am

Congrats on your LSAT jump OP. Did you not apply to the lower-ranked state schools in IL? Couldn't you get in-state at those schools?

See if John Marshall will pony up some money. If you can live with your parents and escape with 75k or less in debt, I'd say go for it if this is your dream.

cuebe

Postby cuebe » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks again for all the input. I am going to see if U of St. Thomas and John Marshall will give me anything. I would much prefer Chicago, but wouldn't close the door of going somewhere else especially the Twin-Cities. Geesh106 point about the market would be sometime to consider. I would much prefer MN to IN. The turn off of Valpo is the location, I'm defiantly a city person. My scare about U of St. Thomas is I'll have the same debt as John Marshall but lower starting salaries even with the TTT vs. TTTT.

I know a few people withdrawing from DePaul, however, I also know some who are wait listed like me. Maybe I'll get some good news.

U of St. Thomas is TTT. You might be thinking of St. Thomas U in Florida which is a TTTT.

A'nold wrote:Congrats on your LSAT jump OP. Did you not apply to the lower-ranked state schools in IL? Couldn't you get in-state at those schools?

See if John Marshall will pony up some money. If you can live with your parents and escape with 75k or less in debt, I'd say go for it if this is your dream.

I applied to Southern Illinois University by far the cheapest at 13,xxx for tuition. I did my undergrad there and like the idea of diversifying. I considered applying to Northern Illinois University, but have decided against it for now. I am completely turned off by the school and it's roughly similar to Southern Illinois University but at 16,xxx though I probably would commute here as well.

Yes, John Marshall at 75k I would be sold unless another school came calling (TT). John Marshall rep around here from what I hear is strong, much more so then Southern Illinois University or Northern Illinois University.

LawSchoolDreamer

Postby LawSchoolDreamer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:Valpo if you want a shot at getting a job in Chicago (not a great job, but a job). St. Thomas isn't going to travel well to Chicago, but it's probably your best offer if you're location-indifferent.

Huh? I heard from several Chicago attorneys that JMLS places better in Chicago than Valpo. Valpo is very regional (as in Indiana - only).

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:54 am

I am from Valpo if you are interested in the surrounding area, just PM me. I lived there through high school.

Return to “Law School FAQ”