UT (sticker) vs. SMU ($$$) Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hopefulhorn

New

UT (sticker) vs. SMU ($$$)

Post by hopefulhorn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:53 pm

UT- it was my dream school. I just got in. I thought I was already headed to Dallas...now it seems that has changed, but I want some feedback. I LOVE Austin but would be paying in full to attend UT.

SMU- I am from Dallas, family is here, and might want to end up here. My fiance is going to SMU ...w/ a huge scholarship, but is more than willing to try to transfer after 1L. I was also offered 22k/yr. So...it would be UT @ 27k+ vs. SMU @16K+ per year.

Career goals: BIG LAW..but don't necessarily want to have to be tied to Dallas market.

heyguys

Bronze

Re: UT (sticker) vs. SMU ($$$)

Post by heyguys » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Seems that UT is pretty clearly the right choice here, unless you would really like to go to SMU with your fiance, but that would probably be a shortsighted decision.

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:08 pm

judging by your sn i can tell you really wanted to be at UT. first, congrats on getting in!

this is a tough decision since your fiance will be at SMU and transfering is far from guaranteed because of its unpredictability.

for the price difference, 11k isnt bad at all to go to the best school in the state that offers more portability not only in Texas but across the nation. SMU is a great school but it'll only give you big law in the Dallas market.. and arguably just as well as UT would. based on your career goals i really feel UT would be the better choice not only for the price difference but for flexibility as well.

best of luck on your decision and congrats again to be in such a blessed situation!

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:34 pm

I say that you need to decide whether you want to stay in Dallas permanently or not. If you wanna stay in the metroplex, then take the check and go to SMU. If you still wanna try another town, UT would be better. Of course if you went to SMU, got a job in Dallas, and did well there, I think you would be much more likely to be able to get your next job in another market using your first job as a launching pad. I'm looking at the same decision next cycle. I'm intrigued to see what decision you make.

P.S. Whatever you do, make sure the fiance is cool with it. I'm in that same boat with you in that regard too. Mine likes to know she has some input!

P.P.S. Are we the same person, just 1 year apart?

ppa840

Bronze

Post by ppa840 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:41 pm

UT seems like a better choice for your long-term career prospects

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

littlebit

New

Post by littlebit » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Talk to UT financial aid. You will probably also get around 5K per year in public education grants if you get that FAFSA in pronto.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:36 pm

SMU places very well in Dallas, but of course if you go to UT you will be able to go anywhere you want in Texas, including Dallas. If you know that is where you want to be, though, I would take the money. SMU seems like a great school, and UT keeps coming up in the news for the wrong reasons (professors holding out on grades, lack of a legal writing program, etc.).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:38 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:I say that you need to decide whether you want to stay in Dallas permanently

This kind of stuff is starting to irk me. It's not permanent. Once you've been practicing a few years, your work experience and performance matters a lot more than your school.

Going to SMU does not equal staying in Dallas forever and ever. Nor does going to x school equal staying in x city for the rest of your life.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:40 am

kalvano wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:I say that you need to decide whether you want to stay in Dallas permanently

This kind of stuff is starting to irk me. It's not permanent. Once you've been practicing a few years, your work experience and performance matters a lot more than your school.

Going to SMU does not equal staying in Dallas forever and ever. Nor does going to x school equal staying in x city for the rest of your life.
That's exactly what I said right after what you quoted me saying, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:41 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Yes, but I'm picking on you and it works better if I cut off that part of the post.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:07 am

kalvano wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Yes, but I'm picking on you and it works better if I cut off that part of the post.

I see...very tricky. :wink:

burtonrideclub

Bronze

Post by burtonrideclub » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 am

Wow, congrats on getting in. You must have some pretty good softs.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:24 am

hopefulhorn wrote:UT- it was my dream school. I just got in. I thought I was already headed to Dallas...now it seems that has changed, but I want some feedback. I LOVE Austin but would be paying in full to attend UT.

SMU- I am from Dallas, family is here, and might want to end up here. My fiance is going to SMU ...w/ a huge scholarship, but is more than willing to try to transfer after 1L. I was also offered 22k/yr. So...it would be UT @ 27k+ vs. SMU @16K+ per year.

Career goals: BIG LAW..but don't necessarily want to have to be tied to Dallas market.
I haven't read the rest of the responses but here goes.

So UT would be $33,000 more than SMU over three years?

Most people would probably say that $33,000 is a small price to pay to go to UT over SMU.

But honestly, UT places about ~10% better than SMU.

In my honest opinion, a 10% difference is not worth $33,000.

The funny part about this is that SMU places as well as, if not better than, some of the top 20 law programs. I feel as though if SMU was ranked 20, people would not recommend UT so much over SMU (and because SMU already places like a T20 for the purposes of job placement - it's already there).

You do seem fine with working in Dallas, and your significant other also attends there.

In my opinion, UT is not worth $33,000 over SMU in general, but especially so in your case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hopefulhorn

New

Post by hopefulhorn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks for all the advice ! My softs are pretty good, not gonna lie. It's just good to see they actually worked though. I felt pretty skeptical about that. I am still so SPLIT. IT's ridiculous. I am even making a pros/cons list. I am actually kind of leaning SMU right now....I am going to ASD for a little while at UT tomorrow to maybe get one step closer to a decision.....we'll see. So weird when something you thought was impossible happens...then it just really makes you think about what you truly want. Sorry so deep. Hah.

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:52 pm

hopefulhorn wrote:Thanks for all the advice ! My softs are pretty good, not gonna lie. It's just good to see they actually worked though. I felt pretty skeptical about that. I am still so SPLIT. IT's ridiculous. I am even making a pros/cons list. I am actually kind of leaning SMU right now....I am going to ASD for a little while at UT tomorrow to maybe get one step closer to a decision.....we'll see. So weird when something you thought was impossible happens...then it just really makes you think about what you truly want. Sorry so deep. Hah.
yay! are you going to dinner with us on Thursday night?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”