Third time is NOT the charm?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Gemini

Third time is NOT the charm?

Postby Gemini » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:40 pm

Hey, a Question for you guys:

If you take the LSAT three times (the maximum allowed per period of time), would it look REALLY bad when applying to law schools? The scores are 158, 163, and I'll be taking the third in September. Let's say I get a 168 for this one.... (I pray that this can occur).

I've applied to schools this cycle and will want to reapply for some next cycle.

With those three scores in consideration, do you think I still hold a chance? I'll be applying to some new schools as well as re-applying to a few that I was waitlisted/rejected at this cycle.

burtonrideclub

Re: Third time is NOT the charm?

Postby burtonrideclub » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Honestly, if they are deciding between you and another candidate, and he/she made 168 the first time, they might[b] be more inclined to go with that candidate. However, the bottom line is now that they only have to report the highest score to US news, so a 168 is a 168.

I'm taking the LSAT for a fourth time this June to try and get off a couple of waitlists. I figured I'm eligible and I'd rather try to be active in getting off the waitlist then just wait around for some incredible new letter of rec or achievement I don't have coming.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:53 pm

I think there is a general feeling that you should really only take the LSAT a 3rd time if you honestly think you can make a significant improvement. If you assess your abilities and realistically think you can do 168 or better, I say go for it, especially if you're not happy with your cycle this year.

I'll tell you my situation, to give you a little hope. 09/09 I got a 164. 12/09 I got a 159, thought my life was over, and figured there was really no other option but to take it a 3rd time, if only to prove that the 159 was a fluke. 02/10 I got a 175! Both schools I've heard back from have been acceptances. Still waiting on several others.

This is of course qualified by the general consensus that if you get the same or worse score the 3rd time, it probably doesn't look too good.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:56 pm

jml8756 wrote:I think there is a general feeling that you should really only take the LSAT a 3rd time if you honestly think you can make a significant improvement. If you assess your abilities and realistically think you can do 168 or better, I say go for it, especially if you're not happy with your cycle this year.

I'll tell you my situation, to give you a little hope. 09/09 I got a 164. 12/09 I got a 159, thought my life was over, and figured there was really no other option but to take it a 3rd time, if only to prove that the 159 was a fluke. 02/10 I got a 175! Both schools I've heard back from have been acceptances. Still waiting on several others.

This is of course qualified by the general consensus that if you get the same or worse score the 3rd time, it probably doesn't look too good.

Wow that sounds amazing!

I'm very curious about how you went from 164/159 to 175! That's an amazing jump from either number. You can PM me if that's more comfortable.

I'm also curious how you went DOWN so much, as well. :?

I'm hoping at the very least for an upward score trend. So far, I've went up 5 points. If I go up another 5, which I hopefully can, I feel like I can (I think I can, I think I can lol) have a fighting chance at some better schools.

Return to “Law School FAQ”