HELP - Accepted but new job

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nuttygerman

HELP - Accepted but new job

Postby nuttygerman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:40 pm

I have recently been accepted into one of my top schools but also just changed jobs to a position with a much higher salary than I previously had. I will be receiving little to no financial aid currently from my school of choice. Would law schools look down on deferring for a year in order to save more money?

voice of reason

Re: HELP - Accepted but new job

Postby voice of reason » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:45 pm

It depends on the school. Yale doesn't like this kind of thing. Northwestern probably loves the idea.

When you ask for the deferral, don't just say you want to save money. Point out the value of the experience you'll be gaining in this new position with greater responsibility, and, if applicable, the fact that you don't want to leave your firm in the lurch right after they've given you new assignments.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:46 pm

voice of reason wrote:It depends on the school. Yale doesn't like this kind of thing. Northwestern probably loves the idea.

When you ask for the deferral, don't just say you want to save money. Point out the value of the experience you'll be gaining in this new position with greater responsibility, and, if applicable, the fact that you don't want to leave your firm in the lurch right after they've given you new assignments.

Agree. Still not ok with another person using the "reasonable" handle.. But oh well..

nuttygerman

Postby nuttygerman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks so much for the responses. It's actually an IT position so would the additional responsibility and experience still be applicable?

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:05 pm

voice of reason wrote:It depends on the school. Yale doesn't like this kind of thing. Northwestern probably loves the idea.

I personally know someone at Yale who is deferring for a 2nd year now hahaha

Return to “Law School FAQ”