Why go to a TTT?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cardnal124

Re: Why go to a TTT?

Postby cardnal124 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:15 am

I love the smell of HYS in the morning... smells like, victory

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:15 am

PDaddy wrote:
Keile wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Keile wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

ITE, you will never find a decent job.
Why waste your money?
Honestly, by "decent", I mean a good return on your law school investment.

You're an idiot. Don't post anymore.

It's short but sweet. Come on. Tell me how it makes sense to go to a TTT, at least financially. You'll be paying out of your ass for 60k a year with not much a chance to lateral into a Big Law firm. Why not just become a teacher instead and save your money?

What if that TTT is Howard? Have you seen Howard's job prospects? Many URM's turn down anything but T14 to go there. I am thinking of turning down a top-20 to go there. Howard's job prospects are better than almost any below T14 and maybe UT, USC, UCLA, and Vandy.

Didn't Diddy go to Howard? That's reason enough to go. lol

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:16 am

TTTennis wrote:T14 or bust? Lame. HYS or bust. The rest of the schools are for the idiots that can't get into any of those three.

Surely you don't...

sawwaverunner

Postby sawwaverunner » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:17 am

I know a lot of people who don't follow the Top Law School mentality and generally choose a Tier 3 with a full scholarship over low tier 1 schools. You can laugh at them for choosing a less respected school, but honestly they will probably be in much better shape than those who go over $200,000 in debt from like Cardozo. They at least can start their lives sooner than others. Seriously, there are a ton of great reasons to go to a tier 3 law school, most of them being money related.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:21 am

PDaddy wrote:
TTTennis wrote:T14 or bust? Lame. HYS or bust. The rest of the schools are for the idiots that can't get into any of those three.

Surely you don't...

Surely you don't either.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:22 am

TTTennis wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
What if that TTT is Howard? Have you seen Howard's job prospects? Many URM's turn down anything but T14 to go there. I am thinking of turning down a top-20 to go there. Howard's job prospects are better than almost any below T14 and maybe UT, USC, UCLA, and Vandy.

Didn't Diddy go to Howard? That's reason enough to go. lol

http://howardmagazine.idigitaledition.com/

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:26 am

Keile wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Op.. Where will you be going to law school?

I won't. I don't think law is for me.

better question...Why post on TLS if you are not even going to law school?
Last edited by GATORTIM on Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:26 am

TTTennis wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

Surely you don't...

Surely you don't either.

But if I say surely you don't, that obviously means that I do, but that I'm believing that you don't. If I do, I believe you don't, so it would be impossible for you to believe that I don't, because if I didn't then I would think that you did, but I said surely you don't. That means I automatically do. Be serious...surely you don't. LOL! :lol:

sawwaverunner

Postby sawwaverunner » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:31 am

GATORTIM wrote:
Keile wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Op.. Where will you be going to law school?

I won't. I don't think law is for me.

better question...Why post on TLS if you are not even going to law school?

Haha, seriously.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:32 am

PDaddy wrote:
TTTennis wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

Surely you don't...

Surely you don't either.

But if I say surely you don't, that obviously means that I do, but that I'm believing that you don't. If I do, I believe you don't, so it would be impossible for you to believe that I don't, because if I didn't then I would think that you did, but I said surely you don't. That means I automatically do. Be serious...surely you don't. LOL! :lol:

Since this thread sucks I am going to de-rail it.

Why, in saying "surely you don't," does that mean you do? Surely, you want people to believe from your implication that you attend, that you do, indeed, attend HYS. Surely, you don't actually attend, because, if you did, you would not reply with "surely you don't,: but rather, "+1" or "This" or even something like "Yale or Bust." You responded with neither of the three, therefore, you don't attend.

Me, HYS? pff, I was waitlisted at Minnesota.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:45 am

PDaddy wrote:
Keile wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Keile wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

ITE, you will never find a decent job.
Why waste your money?
Honestly, by "decent", I mean a good return on your law school investment.

You're an idiot. Don't post anymore.

It's short but sweet. Come on. Tell me how it makes sense to go to a TTT, at least financially. You'll be paying out of your ass for 60k a year with not much a chance to lateral into a Big Law firm. Why not just become a teacher instead and save your money?

I dunno, I read somewhere on TLS that it is usually wiser for a URM to go to somewhere besides Howard because they have far more "room for error" with regards to the curve at another school. The argument was that because of URM's trend towards lower grades and the fact that firms seek them out, they are willing to dip lower into the class to snag a URM. My guess is that a URM at median or below median at Vandy or UCLA would have a much better shot at a big law firm than someone at 30% at Howard.

Also, from what I've read, many firms do OCI at Howard so they can say they did it, but many of them have VERY few Howard grads. Just something to consider.

I wish I could find the thread this discussion was in so I could actually cite the argument.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:48 am

[/quote] It's short but sweet. Come on. Tell me how it makes sense to go to a TTT, at least financially. You'll be paying out of your ass for 60k a year with not much a chance to lateral into a Big Law firm. Why not just become a teacher instead and save your money?[/quote]

What if that TTT is Howard? Have you seen Howard's job prospects? Many URM's turn down anything but T14 to go there. I am thinking of turning down a top-20 to go there. Howard's job prospects are better than almost any below T14 and maybe UT, USC, UCLA, and Vandy.[/quote]

I dunno, I read somewhere on TLS that it is usually wiser for a URM to go to somewhere besides Howard because they have far more "room for error" with regards to the curve at another school. The argument was that because of URM's trend towards lower grades and the fact that firms seek them out, they are willing to dip lower into the class to snag a URM. My guess is that a URM at median or below median at Vandy or UCLA would have a much better shot at a big law firm than someone at 30% at Howard.

Also, from what I've read, many firms do OCI at Howard so they can say they did it, but many of them have VERY few Howard grads. Just something to consider.

I wish I could find the thread this discussion was in so I could actually cite the argument.[/quote]

In search of: Image

BoilerUp

Postby BoilerUp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:49 am

Just curious as to how (in my situation at least) attending a school ranked 50 to 100 and paying 180,000 to 200,000 in tuition is a better choice than attending a tier 3 school where I have to pay 100,000 total in a city that has a good legal market with several prestigious law firms. I am not interested in working in New York or California and feel that coming out of law school with minimal debt in a good legal market is a good situation.

For someone who wants to end up in the Midwest I am happy to minimize my debt and attend a school with several law firms near the school where I can create connections through summer jobs.

I understand that law school is a long term investment and do not expect to pay off my loans 3 years out of school. I would be happy making 50,000 to 70,000 out of school with the cost of living in the Midwest being very reasonable.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:51 am

BoilerUp wrote:Just curious as to how (in my situation at least) attending a school ranked 50 to 100 and paying 180,000 to 200,000 in tuition is a better choice than attending a tier 3 school where I have to pay 100,000 total in a city that has a good legal market with several prestigious law firms. I am not interested in working in New York or California and feel that coming out of law school with minimal debt in a good legal market is a good situation.

For someone who wants to end up in the Midwest I am happy to minimize my debt and attend a school with several law firms near the school where I can create connections through summer jobs.

I understand that law school is a long term investment and do not expect to pay off my loans 3 years out of school. I would be happy making 50,000 to 70,000 out of school with the cost of living in the Midwest being very reasonable.

In all honesty, I don't think paying sticker for anything outside the t-14 is really worth it. No one should take out anywhere close to 200k for a school ranked 50-100.

Edit: I don't think paying 100k for a t3 is worth it either, but if it is your best option, it is 100x better than paying 200k for a t2 school.

BoilerUp

Postby BoilerUp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:54 am

I agree with the first comment, which is why I will be attending a so called TTT for the reasons I outlined above.

Shot007

Postby Shot007 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:01 am

I wish I could find the thread this discussion was in so I could actually cite the argument.

The hiring for Howard has always been great, they are always in the top 40 nationally in terms of big law employment, so clearly these firms DO hire from Howard. I really do think that Howard cannot be considered a TTT, because it has unique options. I would not say Howard over T20, but I think anything outside of the T20, a URM should strongly consider Howard. Especially when you consider that the tuition for Howard @ 25K is cheaper than most schools, and regardless of where you go, its safe to say that being below median will get you no where. I just wish there was data, show employment by race @ biglaw etc. But that might just cause more problems that it would solve

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:07 am

I wish OP would come back. I want to know why they are posting on TLS when they have no intention of law school.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:13 am

I think law school should be viewed like any other grad school. For some reason, its shrouded in elitism. When choosing what I wanted to do with my life, I looked at entering the workforce, going to non-law grad school, and going to law school. For me, the choice was relatively easy.

Work: blows. At least the starting positions available in my field of study. I'd probably end up having to go back to a music store and hope that I could transition into something better.

Other grad school: I'm only really interested in going to another kind of grad school to get on a doctoral track. The debt load would be similar, with much less upside after graduation.

Law school: A touch more risk than option 1 or 2, but also more upside.

The choice for me was somewhat easy, because I have some connections, I have some decent scholarships, and I have a source of income while in LS (wife is a psychotherapist).

Everyone has different situations. If you really want to go into government, law school can be a good decision. If you want to go into public interest, law school can be a good decision. Have a spot in daddy's firm? Great decision, regardless of tier. If the only reason you want to go to LS is to make money, LS is probably not a good decision, regardless of school you attend.

Not everyone has BigLaw aspirations, and the difference in cost between getting a law degree and getting a doctorate in spanish literature or something like that is not that different.

Conclusion:
Going to TTT because you want to be a millionaire: extremely poor choice. Its not like people are lying about your prospects to keep more for themselves. Most Tier 4 schools have shit town employment prospects. Like only a 30% chance of legal employment 9 months after graduation.

Going to TTT because it fits into your life plan, and your life plan isn't to be a millionaire? A harder question to answer.

Full disclosure: I probably wouldn't choose to attend a TTT myself. Take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:24 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:

In search of: Image[/quote]

Dude. HULS's job prospects are legit, and the median is $145K. What other TTT do you know has that? What top-50 has that? I do believe firms will dig deeper into the pool at other schools to find qualified URM's. But they usually don't have to. HULS V. UCLA/USC/Vandy/Texas/WUSTL/BC/GWU/MN/IL/Emory is tough because those schools do hold their own regionally and dominate their own markets (with the exception of Emory).

I do believe median URM's are in just as good of a position as a top-30%er is at HULS. That said, HULS gets the edge b/c of the support system, networks and environment. There's nothing like it. How many black people get to attend a prestigious school run mostly by a black administration, that has so many successful and/or famous (not to mention rich) black alumni? I think we all agree that Howard is unique among TTT in that it really isn't one.

mugrad06

Postby mugrad06 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:58 am

I was considering going to a TTT (score isn't good enough for anything else and probably not going to be able to boost it up enough say like 10 pts or so to get into where I'd love to go) but without any scholly money I would be 100+ in debt after three years. I know there are tons of people in a similar situation as I am, but I think it really is a personal preference and what you want in life. I also spoke with the attorney I work for and he was blown away by how much schools cost nowadays. He wasn't entire sure how I could afford it and even after I got out. He said to look at it from an investment point of view (his BA was in finance and econ) and the return on the investment. When he phrased it like that, it kind of put it in a different prespective for me.

I defintely factored the cost in to my decision not to go as well as the school I got into rep. I am still going to visit the open house next weekend, but I am defintely leaning in a different direction. Actually what Keile mentioned, why not become a teacher which is actually what I am thinking of doing. Going back to get a MAT (Masters in Teaching). Law has always been something I have been interested in but looking at where I am in my life, and where I want to go; I feel going back to for a MAT makes much more sense than going to a TTT (well actually a TTTT) at least right now in my life. There is nothing that says I have to go to law school right now. I have actually met a lot of people on here and LSN that are in their mid to late 30s or even 40s deciding to go to law school.

Return to “Law School FAQ”