Why go to a TTT? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Keile

New

Why go to a TTT?

Post by Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

ITE, you will never find a decent job.
Why waste your money?
Honestly, by "decent", I mean a good return on your law school investment.

Cupidity

Gold

Re: Why go to a TTT?

Post by Cupidity » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:47 pm

Last edited by Cupidity on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:47 pm

Keile wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Why waste your money?

You're an idiot. Don't post anymore.

Keile

New

Post by Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:48 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

Why waste your money?

It's short but sweet. Come on. Tell me how it makes sense to go to a TTT, at least financially. You'll be paying out of your ass for 60k a year with not much a chance to lateral into a Big Law firm. Why not just become a teacher instead and save your money?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:49 pm

it might make sense for a handful of people

if you could do it very cheaply (eg w/ scholarship or something) and increase your salary by 10-15k per year, it might actually be a smart investment. I can't envision a scenario where any TTT would be worth more than 40 or 50k total debt.

90% of the people who attend TTT's probably don't fit this description though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:49 pm

ITE, you will never find a decent job. Why waste your money?
I can give you a few reasons:

1. Full ride
2. Strong connection to the legal market (and by strong, I mean guaranteed job via family or close friend)
3. You are from a small town/rural area and you want to do a small firm there, you are content knowing you will make very little, and you know you have no big law/high-profile PI aspirations, so you go to a decent regional T3.

These are about the only legit reasons I can think of.

fiftyonefifty

New

Post by fiftyonefifty » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:52 pm

i know a close somebody who graduated from whitter. that's as ttt as you can get, but is serving as the chief counsel at a big agency.

please explain that.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:52 pm

Again I say: Image

But if you really are instrested, and I can understand if you are with your sub-par numbers and intellect: a TTT makes a lot of sense if you can get a large scholarship and have a very narrow interest that the school is good for. Take Stetson University in Tampa as an example. Tampa has a small but wonderful legal market, and Stetson is amazing for trial advocacy. If I wanted to be a trial lawyer in Tampa, Stetson would be a better Pick than most T1, and even most T20 schools.

However, if I ever wanted to leave tampa and go as far as say...Miami, stetson would be far less useful.

Keile

New

Post by Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:

1. Full ride
2. Strong connection to the legal market (and by strong, I mean guaranteed job via family or close friend)
3. You are from a small town/rural area and you want to do a small firm there, you are content knowing you will make very little, and you know you have no big law/high-profile PI aspirations, so you go to a decent regional T3.

In your case, +100. These are three excellent reasons. I'd stop with the "full ride", but you went the full monty with strong connections and the "no real ambition for high profile" ambition mantra. Your case, however, is not the typical one and is one of the few real justifications for going to a TTT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Op.. Where will you be going to law school?

Keile

New

Post by Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:55 pm

fiftyonefifty wrote:i know a close somebody who graduated from whitter. that's as ttt as you can get, but is serving as the chief counsel at a big agency.

please explain that.
The average TTT graduate doesn't serve as chief counsel at a big agency. More non-TTT grads probably end up as chief counsel than TTT grads. I can find you a special TTT grad from every school, but that doesn't mean going to a TTT is worth it just an the extremely unlikely chance you'll end up as chief counsel at a big agency.
reasonable_man wrote:Op.. Where will you be going to law school?
I won't. I don't think law is for me.
Last edited by Keile on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:55 pm

fiftyonefifty wrote:i know a close somebody who graduated from whitter. that's as ttt as you can get, but is serving as the chief counsel at a big agency.

please explain that.
You cannot be serious. We have a name for those people: they're called outliers.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 pm

please explain that.
sigh...here we go again. there are always outliers in every trend. Thomas Jefferson law school (i think? maybe it was cal western) had a guy a couple of years back that reported a 250k starting salary. Sure his dad was probably a partner or something, but the point is that you will always find an exception or two at every school. 90% of the people who go to whittier probably wish they hadn't.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cardnal124

Bronze

Post by cardnal124 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 pm

I don't even know why T2 except for those with under 50k debt. Quote from a 3L at a mid T2: "At this point I would rather be a used car salesman than a lawyer." That is a confidence booster.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:58 pm

Keile wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

1. Full ride

In your case, +100. These are three excellent reasons. I'd stop with the "full ride", but you went the full monty with strong connections and the "no real ambition for high profile" ambition mantra. Your case, however, is not the typical one and is one of the few real justifications for going to a TTT.
Haha whoa whoa whoa chief... I'm not going to a Tier 3. I'm trying to decide between some T20s. :D I'm just providing some rational justification for why someone might go. I think as long as you can go for cheap and you are realistic about your long term goals, you can be happy coming out of a TTT. Unfortunately, VERY few students go for cheap and even fewer are realistic about their goals. A lot of TTT students think they are gonna make 160k right outta school.
Last edited by romothesavior on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keile

New

Post by Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:58 pm

cardnal124 wrote:I don't even know why T2 except for those with under 50k debt. Quote from a 3L at a mid T2: "At this point I would rather be a used car salesman than a lawyer." That is a confidence booster.
+100.

T14 or Bust.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:58 pm

romothesavior wrote: I can give you a few reasons:

1. Full ride

This.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:00 am

Keile wrote:
cardnal124 wrote:I don't even know why T2 except for those with under 50k debt. Quote from a 3L at a mid T2: "At this point I would rather be a used car salesman than a lawyer." That is a confidence booster.
+100.

T14 or Bust.
T14 or bust? Lame. HYS or bust. The rest of the schools are for the idiots that can't get into any of those three.

ThirdTierWarrior

New

Post by ThirdTierWarrior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:01 am

DO NOT GO TO THE SETON HALL LAW TOILET!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:02 am

ThirdTierWarrior wrote:DO NOT GO TO THE SETON HALL LAW TOILET!
lawschoolscam.org?

Keile

New

Post by Keile » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:06 am

romothesavior wrote:
Keile wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

1. Full ride

Haha whoa whoa whoa chief... I'm not going to a Tier 3. I'm trying to decide between some T20s. :D I'm just providing some rational justification for why someone might go. I think as long as you can go for cheap and you are realistic about your long term goals, you can be happy coming out of a TTT. Unfortunately, VERY few students go for cheap and even fewer are realistic about their goals. A lot of TTT students think they are gonna make 160k right outta school.
Exactly. In summary, do not go to a shithole expecting to come out not covered with smelly shit. TTT grad themselves aren't bad. There are some TTT graduates with awesome upsides, but employers won't get to see them. Lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:11 am

Keile wrote: Exactly. In summary, do not go to a shithole expecting to come out not covered with smelly shit. TTT grad themselves aren't bad. There are some TTT graduates with awesome upsides, but employers won't get to see them. Lol.
You smell like TTT yourself. You're going to Cooley aren't you.

Keile

New

Post by Keile » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:13 am

TTTennis wrote:
Keile wrote: Exactly. In summary, do not go to a shithole expecting to come out not covered with smelly shit. TTT grad themselves aren't bad. There are some TTT graduates with awesome upsides, but employers won't get to see them. Lol.
Good guess!

But no. I won't be going to law school. I think not, anyway. :mrgreen:. Cooley isn't bad school..

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:14 am

Keile wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Why waste your money?

It's short but sweet. Come on. Tell me how it makes sense to go to a TTT, at least financially. You'll be paying out of your ass for 60k a year with not much a chance to lateral into a Big Law firm. Why not just become a teacher instead and save your money?

What if that TTT is Howard? Have you seen Howard's job prospects? Many URM's turn down anything but T14 to go there. I am thinking of turning down a top-20 to go there. Howard's job prospects are better than almost any below T14 and maybe UT, USC, UCLA, and Vandy.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:14 am

Keile wrote:
TTTennis wrote:
Good guess!

But no. I won't be going to law school. I think not, anyway. :mrgreen:
So, you got a TTT LSAT score, and now you want everyone to agree with you that it is not worth going to the only schools you would be able to get into. Good tactic.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”