Transferring

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
merryo

Transferring

Postby merryo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 am

How easy is it to transfer?

I am still waiting on word from my top 3 choices, but so far I have been accepted to Maryland and it is looking like I will go there.

If I wanted to transfer from Maryland to say Columbia, NYU, Chicago, or Yale, what would I need to do in my first year at Maryland?

James Bond

Re: Transferring

Postby James Bond » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:48 am

Top 5% in your class. Maybe even higher. Either way with arbitrary curves not something to count on.

RayFinkle

Postby RayFinkle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:54 am

From what I have heard, you should never count on it because law school is so much different than undergrad in terms of evaluating performance. I have been told to go to where I would be happy for three years or don't go at all... too much possible debt for too much risk and even if it is paid for, you are wasting your time.

edit: And yea, from the stats I have seen, to get into those schools you would need at least top 5%.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:00 am

FeuerFrei wrote:LACES OUT!!

lol just watched that...

ANYWAY. There is plenty of information out there on transferring. The main point to take home is it is very, very difficult and you should attend a school you will be happy to graduate with a degree from.

Just to humor you, to go from Maryland (T1) to CCN you will need top 5-10%, and for Yale you will need top 1-5% (even then, I hear Yale only takes transfer who had a shot at getting in as a 1L). This is according to Arrow's thread on transferring, which most people hold as the leading authority around here on transferring. If you haven't seen it, here's the link...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82937

Good luck!

Return to “Law School FAQ”