Doom & Gloom

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
afghan007

Doom & Gloom

Postby afghan007 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Recently received my first two acceptances from BLS ($) and UConn (in-state already, not sure yet about extra $). I was pretty excited about both of these decisions, and began to do some more research on the two schools. I came across this site, subsequently its forums, and my enthusiasm was quickly tempered. I'm sure most know what I'm referring to: overall poor economic state affecting legal careers, regional 'specialization,' decisiveness of US news style rankings, etc. I've seen and heard it all before, but never to the extent and volume that is shown here.

Now, I'm still waiting on USC, Michigan, Cornell, and Fordham and many of my concerns might yet be allayed. BUT, considering I'm not overly confident about those four decisions, the whole doom and gloom prognosis that pervades the site really has me concerned about a legal education provided by the likes of BLS and UConn. I have no worries about my ability to succeed in law school, more so with the job opportunities available.

So, I guess I'm looking for some positive reinforcement to a BLS/Uconn legal education. Anybody?

nycparalegal

Re: Doom & Gloom

Postby nycparalegal » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:38 pm

what are your stats?

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:39 pm

afghan007 wrote:Recently received my first two acceptances from BLS ($) and UConn (in-state already, not sure yet about extra $). I was pretty excited about both of these decisions, and began to do some more research on the two schools. I came across this site, subsequently its forums, and my enthusiasm was quickly tempered. I'm sure most know what I'm referring to: overall poor economic state affecting legal careers, regional 'specialization,' decisiveness of US news style rankings, etc. I've seen and heard it all before, but never to the extent and volume that is shown here.

Now, I'm still waiting on USC, Michigan, Cornell, and Fordham and many of my concerns might yet be allayed. BUT, considering I'm not overly confident about those four decisions, the whole doom and gloom prognosis that pervades the site really has me concerned about a legal education provided by the likes of BLS and UConn. I have no worries about my ability to succeed in law school, more so with the job opportunities available.

So, I guess I'm looking for some positive reinforcement to a BLS/Uconn legal education. Anybody?

You have come to the wrong place for this. What are your numbers like? If you have a shot at USC, Mich, Cornell, etc you should be looking at near full scholarships at BLS and UConn. If you are paying anything to attend, you should probably think long and hard.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 pm

I was thinking about it, and if you didn't get close to a full ride at Brooklyn, or $ from UCONN then you're not getting into any of the following schools this year: USC, Michigan, Cornell, and Fordham.

So yea the legal economy is contracting. Every school got hit hard including the t-14 schools. Those schools below have an even tougher time.

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:45 pm

So what exactly are you asking for? The truth, or what you want to hear? But frankly, we don't even know the truth because we know nothing of your situation (goals, expectations, etc.).

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:57 pm

If you can do well at UConn (top 10% or above), then you can have good employment options upon graduation.

However, this is largely dependant on what you want to do. If you want to work a "Biglaw" job, then you'll have to do a bunch of stuff such as being on law review, doing summer work, maybe clerking for a court after graduation.

If you dont have your sights set on "Biglaw", like many other people, then you do have options.

Dont let people tell you that you wont get anywhere in life just because you dont go to Harvard, Yale or T14. The US News rankings are complete garbage and most employers dont take them seriously.

If you have the opportunity to go to a "better" school, then go for it. If it comes down to UConn, dont feel too bad about it at all. Its not all Doom and Gloom.

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:16 pm

UConn is a damn good school for employment in Connecticut, pretty good for the rest of New England (meaning Boston), and not so good for NYC. What are your career goals? If you want to live in CT, UConn is a bargain.

thedogship

Postby thedogship » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:26 pm

afghan007 wrote:So, I guess I'm looking for some positive reinforcement to a BLS/Uconn legal education.

Check out the employment stats on those schools' websites if you want positive reinforcement. You won't find it on this site for those places.

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:55 pm

thanks for the helpful advice

i was just admitted to USC with no immediate information provided about $ (still have not heard from other schools)

i also just received information about BLS $... $8,500 per year

I'm from CT and the in-state tuition from UConn is looking mighty attractive right now. I've enjoyed nearly the entirety of my childhood here, and almost all of my family is in the tri-state area. Though I've lived in England for 3 months and Washington, D.C. for a another 4 months, I'm not sure how well these study abroad experiences translate to graduate residence.

Admittedly, my career plans are hazy. I thoroughly enjoy learning about the law, and am not committed to, nor necessarily attracted to BIGLAW. I want to live comfortably and not be overly worried about finances (don't we all!), so a salary around six figures seems sufficient to cover my law school debts while maintaining financial security. I want to understand and have fun with the law. I'm sure there are plenty of 0L books around that could help narrow my focus, so I'm not concerned with the specificities just yet.

I have looked at the three aforementioned school's employment statistics. Unfortunately, as much of this board can attest, these numbers are often misleading. UConn and BLS seem like decent regional options (fair judgment?). My question is more about USC and their national viability. I've never been to California (planning a visit to USC momentarily) and I don't want to be locked into that market. That's not to say I don't want to work in CA (certainly could suit me), but I'd like options with a $150K investment.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 pm

afghan007 wrote:thanks for the helpful advice

i was just admitted to USC with no immediate information provided about $ (still have not heard from other schools)

i also just received information about BLS $... $8,500 per year

I'm from CT and the in-state tuition from UConn is looking mighty attractive right now. I've enjoyed nearly the entirety of my childhood here, and almost all of my family is in the tri-state area. Though I've lived in England for 3 months and Washington, D.C. for a another 4 months, I'm not sure how well these study abroad experiences translate to graduate residence.

Admittedly, my career plans are hazy. I thoroughly enjoy learning about the law, and am not committed to, nor necessarily attracted to BIGLAW. I want to live comfortably and not be overly worried about finances (don't we all!), so a salary around six figures seems sufficient to cover my law school debts while maintaining financial security. I want to understand and have fun with the law. I'm sure there are plenty of 0L books around that could help narrow my focus, so I'm not concerned with the specificities just yet.

I have looked at the three aforementioned school's employment statistics. Unfortunately, as much of this board can attest, these numbers are often misleading. UConn and BLS seem like decent regional options (fair judgment?). My question is more about USC and their national viability. I've never been to California (planning a visit to USC momentarily) and I don't want to be locked into that market. That's not to say I don't want to work in CA (certainly could suit me), but I'd like options with a $150K investment.

USC is largely regional to southern California. But it places very well in the area and has a solid alumni network. It doesn't do as well as UCLA, but stands head and shoulder against everyone else in So Cal. Id say if you were willing to work connections and were at the top of the class you could probably reasonably expect to find something in the west (Cal, Nevada, Arizona). I'd say anything furthur probably isn't going to happen. USC is the right choice here. Yes it is more money, but not that much more, and it is a much, much better school. You'll be lucky to even find many regional job options out of UConn and BLS ITE.

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:01 am

jks289 wrote:USC is largely regional to southern California. But it places very well in the area and has a solid alumni network. It doesn't do as well as UCLA, but stands head and shoulder against everyone else in So Cal. Id say if you were willing to work connections and were at the top of the class you could probably reasonably expect to find something in the west (Cal, Nevada, Arizona). I'd say anything furthur probably isn't going to happen. USC is the right choice here. Yes it is more money, but not that much more, and it is a much, much better school. You'll be lucky to even find many regional job options out of UConn and BLS ITE.

UConn comes to about $30K per year whereas USC is about $60K per year.. Is the extra $100K of debt worth getting pigeon-holed into a Southern California market that I'm not overly excited about?

I'd like to do as much as I can with my JD. Given the superior ranking of USC, I am (or at least was) inclined to believe that USC could provide government/public interest/private practice options that are more prestigious (and more financially stable) than UConn. Is this incorrect? Or, in other words, are the options out of USC not sufficiently greater than UConn as to alleviate $100K of debt AND the abandoning of my "comfort zone" of New England and UConn?

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:21 am

afghan007 wrote:UConn comes to about $30K per year whereas USC is about $60K per year.. Is the extra $100K of debt worth getting pigeon-holed into a Southern California market that I'm not overly excited about?

My 2c:

Think long and hard about where you want to work. Go to school near there, at the best school you can.

USC is a great school, but you're right that paying an extra $100k and getting locked into a market at the other end of the country is nutty. If BLS = Brooklyn Law School, I'll be going to a school ranked even lower than either of your other choices to build connections just a state away (from Cali). The professionals I've talked to in my area tell me that this is the right choice, and that whatever our speculation here on the boards, knowing someone > class rank when hiring time comes.

The options out of USC, in Southern California, are tremendous. They have huge home field advantage in the LA area, reportedly placing better than UCLA even. Their alumni network is enormous. That said, see if you can find out how they place on the east coast - I imagine the numbers are not nearly so attractive.

Assuming no other acceptances, if you don't mind the idea of moving wholesale to the west coast for the long haul or else facing an uphill battle to get back, go to USC. Otherwise, go somewhere closer to home, despite the ranking.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:10 pm

USC is a great school, but dont go there simply because "it has a higher ranking". Rankings dont matter around the country. If you go to USC you will have to stay in the SoCal area. You'll have better employment opportunities than other graduates, but you wont have better opportunities around the country.

If you have no problem staying in SoCal, then go to USC, but if you dont want to take on the extra debt and you feel comfortable staying close to home, go to UConn.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Hey, I hope you don't have your hopes built up on your previous schools. It doesn't look like you'll be getting into them.

You can do well coming out of any school depending on your goal. You just need to keep in mind that you eventually want a return on your investment. People who decide to pay to go to schools at the UConn and BLS level (I'm with you here) need to avoid private loans at all costs so that they can qualify the substantive portion of their debt under IBR. They also need to do as excellent (not just well) as possible first year to increase access to career opportunities.

Return to “Law School FAQ”