Hornbook

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gustrock
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:11 am

Hornbook

Postby gustrock » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:24 pm

People talk a lot about these on this site, and was wondering what they are? Should I get one and skim through it over the summer?

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby gdane » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:17 pm

It's a type of supplement you can use for certain classes. It's very helpful. Search for it and you'll find lots of information.

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby Aeon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:17 am

gustrock wrote:People talk a lot about these on this site, and was wondering what they are? Should I get one and skim through it over the summer?

Hornbooks are comprehensive overviews of legal subjects. They tend to be rather expensive, though, and very involved. If you want to do some substantive reading during the summer, a shorter supplement, like an Examples & Explanations book might be a better choice.

Most law schools should have at least a few hornbooks in their libraries that you could consult during the academic year proper after you start your classes.

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby LawandOrder » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:19 am

Aeon wrote:
gustrock wrote:People talk a lot about these on this site, and was wondering what they are? Should I get one and skim through it over the summer?

Hornbooks are comprehensive overviews of legal subjects. They tend to be rather expensive, though, and very involved. If you want to do some substantive reading during the summer, a shorter supplement, like an Examples & Explanations book might be a better choice.

Most law schools should have at least a few hornbooks in their libraries that you could consult during the academic year proper after you start your classes.

You could do that, if you want to be at the bottom of the class. All the top kids will have read and memorized the hornbooks for all 1L subjects during the summer prior to school starting.

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby mikeyp » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:04 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
Aeon wrote:
gustrock wrote:People talk a lot about these on this site, and was wondering what they are? Should I get one and skim through it over the summer?

Hornbooks are comprehensive overviews of legal subjects. They tend to be rather expensive, though, and very involved. If you want to do some substantive reading during the summer, a shorter supplement, like an Examples & Explanations book might be a better choice.

Most law schools should have at least a few hornbooks in their libraries that you could consult during the academic year proper after you start your classes.

You could do that, if you want to be at the bottom of the class. All the top kids will have read and memorized the hornbooks for all 1L subjects during the summer prior to school starting.

oy

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Hornbook

Postby Renzo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:10 pm

gustrock wrote:People talk a lot about these on this site, and was wondering what they are? Should I get one and skim through it over the summer?

If there is an opposite of this, that's what you should do. You cannot get a leg up by prep-reading for law school. But you can teach yourself wrong ideas that will confuse you late,r and get a jump-start on the inevitable 1L burnout. Surely you have some other way to spend your time.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby wired » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:01 pm

Renzo wrote:
gustrock wrote:People talk a lot about these on this site, and was wondering what they are? Should I get one and skim through it over the summer?

If there is an opposite of this, that's what you should do. You cannot get a leg up by prep-reading for law school. But you can teach yourself wrong ideas that will confuse you late,r and get a jump-start on the inevitable 1L burnout. Surely you have some other way to spend your time.


+-0 on this.

Different people who have finished 1L have posted on TLS recommending different things. Some posters love the hornbooks and would recommend reading them ahead of time others said they thought it was a waste. I would find what makes you comfortable in terms of prep.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Hornbook

Postby Renzo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:06 pm

wired wrote:Different people who have finished 1L have posted on TLS recommending different things. Some posters love the hornbooks and would recommend reading them ahead of time others said they thought it was a waste. I would find what makes you comfortable in terms of prep.
I think this overstates your case. I have never (on this board) seen a strong, resounding endorsement for 0L prep, nor a real recommendation to 0L's to do it. There is disagreement, but the opinions I have seen range from "strongly detrimental" to "not completely useless."

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby rando » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:10 pm

wired wrote:
Renzo wrote:
gustrock wrote:People talk a lot about these on this site, and was wondering what they are? Should I get one and skim through it over the summer?

If there is an opposite of this, that's what you should do. You cannot get a leg up by prep-reading for law school. But you can teach yourself wrong ideas that will confuse you late,r and get a jump-start on the inevitable 1L burnout. Surely you have some other way to spend your time.


+-0 on this.

Different people who have finished 1L have posted on TLS recommending different things. Some posters love the hornbooks and would recommend reading them ahead of time others said they thought it was a waste. I would find what makes you comfortable in terms of prep.


Am I just gullible or are people being serious? Prepping by reading a hornbook 0L? This is absurd. Possibly lead to burnout, definitely utterly useless.

User avatar
Ipsa Dixit
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:56 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Just skim through wikipedia if you are curious about the subjects.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Ipsa Dixit wrote:Just skim through wikipedia if you are curious about the subjects.


+1, debating o not going to law school based on the in-depth learning I can get from wikipedia.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby traehekat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Renzo wrote:
wired wrote:Different people who have finished 1L have posted on TLS recommending different things. Some posters love the hornbooks and would recommend reading them ahead of time others said they thought it was a waste. I would find what makes you comfortable in terms of prep.
I think this overstates your case. I have never (on this board) seen a strong, resounding endorsement for 0L prep, nor a real recommendation to 0L's to do it. There is disagreement, but the opinions I have seen range from "strongly detrimental" to "not completely useless."


In my travels I have found almost everyone says, "Don't bother prepping, it is a waste of time!" and they get a big laugh out of anyone who wants to prep during the summer. But then whenever someone posts about doing well their first year and what they did, I think a lot mention they did SOME kind of summer prep.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:20 pm

traehekat wrote:
Renzo wrote:
wired wrote:Different people who have finished 1L have posted on TLS recommending different things. Some posters love the hornbooks and would recommend reading them ahead of time others said they thought it was a waste. I would find what makes you comfortable in terms of prep.
I think this overstates your case. I have never (on this board) seen a strong, resounding endorsement for 0L prep, nor a real recommendation to 0L's to do it. There is disagreement, but the opinions I have seen range from "strongly detrimental" to "not completely useless."


In my travels I have found almost everyone says, "Don't bother prepping, it is a waste of time!" and they get a big laugh out of anyone who wants to prep during the summer. But then whenever someone posts about doing well their first year and what they did, I think a lot mention they did SOME kind of summer prep.


I think reading E&E's thinking you'll know shit in law school is a mistake. I think reading E&E's with the intent to familiarize yourself with terms and basic concepts is a big help.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby traehekat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Inygma wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Renzo wrote:
wired wrote:Different people who have finished 1L have posted on TLS recommending different things. Some posters love the hornbooks and would recommend reading them ahead of time others said they thought it was a waste. I would find what makes you comfortable in terms of prep.
I think this overstates your case. I have never (on this board) seen a strong, resounding endorsement for 0L prep, nor a real recommendation to 0L's to do it. There is disagreement, but the opinions I have seen range from "strongly detrimental" to "not completely useless."


In my travels I have found almost everyone says, "Don't bother prepping, it is a waste of time!" and they get a big laugh out of anyone who wants to prep during the summer. But then whenever someone posts about doing well their first year and what they did, I think a lot mention they did SOME kind of summer prep.


I think reading E&E's thinking you'll know shit in law school is a mistake. I think reading E&E's with the intent to familiarize yourself with terms and basic concepts is a big help.


Well said.

gustrock
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:11 am

Re: Hornbook

Postby gustrock » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks for the input, guys. I have also heard that pre-prep is superfluous. I have been listening to lectures online about Intellectual Property, which will be my concentration. It interests me, and I believe it will assist me with a broad overview of the material. You guys should check out this site: http://www.openculture.com/2007/07/free ... urses.html. It's pretty cool.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby rando » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:49 pm

if you're just genuinely interested in a subject or want to get a feel for legal jargon then by all means, have at it. In fact, go for it no matter what your intentions. Just don't expect it to benefit your grades.

As far as some of those who did really well first year and saying they prepped the summer before. General statistical bias. Those are not independent. Those who do really well are more likely to be gunner types who are likely to prep the summer before. Check your causation.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Hornbook

Postby rando » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:51 pm

gustrock wrote:Thanks for the input, guys. I have also heard that pre-prep is superfluous. I have been listening to lectures online about Intellectual Property, which will be my concentration. It interests me, and I believe it will assist me with a broad overview of the material. You guys should check out this site: http://www.openculture.com/2007/07/free ... urses.html. It's pretty cool.


That site is cool. BTW I am jealous that you are so interested in a legal niche already. I have no idea... that being said, I think it is all pretty damn interesting. But i'm a nerd.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests