Just go to a law school or take LSAT a 4th time (3.23, 157)

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
risktaker

Just go to a law school or take LSAT a 4th time (3.23, 157)

Postby risktaker » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 pm

z
Last edited by risktaker on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

holybartender

Re: Just go to a law school or take LSAT a 4th time (3.23, 157)

Postby holybartender » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Don't go to a law school expecting to transfer. If you wouldn't be happy graduating from that institution, don't go. Are you really sure you want to go to law school?

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Yes, I am sure I want to go to law school.

slowdiver

Postby slowdiver » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm

second HolyBartender re: transferring.

If I were you, I would keep to lower-ranked state schools and schools near where you want to work (San Diego) and only go if you can get money or the tuition is low enough that would make going to whichever school you get into a worthwhile investment. The way it looks, you're unlikely to get into a place where paying sticker is worth the money. If you're dead set on going to school, go to a regional school that's at least somewhat affordable and make alumni connections.

Taking the LSAT again shows either determination or an inability to just move on. I took it 3 times also, and scored within 2 points each time. You're very unlikely to get anything close to that big 7 point jump you're really hoping for.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:00 pm

slowdiver wrote:second HolyBartender re: transferring.

If I were you, I would keep to lower-ranked state schools and schools near where you want to work (San Diego) and only go if you can get money or the tuition is low enough that would make going to whichever school you get into a worthwhile investment. The way it looks, you're unlikely to get into a place where paying sticker is worth the money. If you're dead set on going to school, go to a regional school that's at least somewhat affordable and make alumni connections.

Taking the LSAT again shows either determination or an inability to just move on. I took it 3 times also, and scored within 2 points each time. You're very unlikely to get anything close to that big 7 point jump you're really hoping for.

Unlikely, perhaps, but not impossible. If the OP can consistently hit 165+ in PTs, then it's definitely worth it to retake in June, especially if OP had only recently been hitting 165+ in PTs (meaning the 156 was not also a huge drop from PTs).

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Also, I was studying this whole time while attending school. I will be graduating this quarter, so the worry of school will no longer be looming over my head. I am hoping that this drop in stress level along with more time to study for the LSAT could possibly mean a higher score, but if I get accepted into a school like USD, the decision is going to be very hard to make.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:00 pm

I say don't put yourself through the torture. Honestly your GPA and LSAT score aren't horrible for many of the schools that you're considering (maybe not UCLA), especially given that you're a biochem major.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:40 am

carlkenneth wrote:I say don't put yourself through the torture. Honestly your GPA and LSAT score aren't horrible for many of the schools that you're considering (maybe not UCLA), especially given that you're a biochem major.

His GPA is basically going to be viewed as a 3.23. He may get a little credit for his major, but not much, if any.

Also, while those numbers may be OK for admissions to those schools, they're not exactly a guarantee. You're really selling yourself short if you were scoring 165+. Even a few points to get you to 160+ could make a big difference for admissions (given your GPA) and for scholarship money.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:33 am

risktaker wrote:I need honest responses people. I am a double major in biochem and history. My GPA is a 3.23, but I am graduating this quarter. After this quarter, my GPA will most likely be 3.27. My history GPA is a 3.7, but my biochem GPA is what has hurt my overall GPA. I have applied to the following schools:
UCLA, Davis, Santa Clara, San Francisco, University of San Diego, Baylor, Penn State, St. Johns, and California Western. I know my chances at most of these schools are slim, but I have not heard back from any of them yet. I hope to work in San Diego, but not sure what field of law. Leaning towards patent/intellectual property law.
I have already taken the LSAT 3 times with the following results: cancel, 156 and 157. My PT's have been a lot higher. I constantly scored over 165+ leading upto my February 2010 LSAT. One school has sent a letter to LSAC allowing me to take it a fourth time. This is a very hard decision that I have to make soon, so any responses would be greatly appreciated. So, my question is:
Should I take the LSAT a 4th time and try to hit my PT avg and apply again next cycle or go to one of these schools in hopes of transferring?
I would be happy to graduate from most of these schools, but just worried about job prospects after graduation.
Thanks guys and gals.

You will find it hard to get a job in IP with your background. :cry:

purplechick147

Postby purplechick147 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 pm

What school granted you a fourth test?

Postby 270910 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:49 am

The only winning move is not to play.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am

Don't go.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:44 pm

The only way we can answer this is if we know WHY you screwed the pooch on your other tests? Are you a bad tester? Pressure? Burnout? Are you properly timing your pretests honestly? Are you ONLY pretesting with old tests?

I just find it hard to believe that for no other reason than dumb luck of some sort you are missing 10+ additional questions on the real test vs. practice tests. It can happen once maybe, almost never twice, and three times?

IF your score drop can be helped then by all means retake. If it can't, then don't. Should be that simple.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:54 pm

I doubt that a 4th LSAT is going to be different when you have two nearly identical scores and a cancel. If you really want to be a lawyer then go to the best school you can or best scholarship offer you get, but go in with the knowledge that your prospects are grim.

Is it the smartest economic move? Not by a long shot. If there is something else that is economically more viable that satisfies some of your interests then I would suggest that. If not, then head to law school understanding you will probably have to network your ass off for a job.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Why did you major in biochem if you knew you wanted to go to law school? It seems like (and in your case, was) a good way to hurt your GPA. Biochem in itself though seems like it would be a major that would provide some decent career opportunities out of undergrad, but I really don't know for sure.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:26 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:Why did you major in biochem if you knew you wanted to go to law school? It seems like (and in your case, was) a good way to hurt your GPA. Biochem in itself though seems like it would be a major that would provide some decent career opportunities out of undergrad, but I really don't know for sure.

Maybe OP wanted to do patents.

micwrecka45

Postby micwrecka45 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:01 pm

Remember, your ability to perform under pressure, test-taking abilities, etc. are also tested by the LSAT. Not how well you do on PT's. Later on, no one's going to accommodate test-day jitters when you are taking timed and highly competitive final exams in law school. No one's going to accommodate jitters/inability to perform under pressure when you are before a judge. Unless, you had some compelling reason that you scored badly (you were ill the last 3 times, you were completely bogged down with work the last 3 times but now you aren't), then your scores are your scores. They indicate how well you perform. Let's say you do retake. I highly doubt your score will be significantly higher (5+ points). And unless they are significantly higher, an admissions officer would be less impressed with your new score (regardless of whether or not they average or take the higher score, a cancel-156-157-160-ish doesnt look anywhere near as good as a 160-ish straight up or after one retake).

I retook the LSAT twice also 163-165-167. First time i was sick, second two times, exactly what I expected. Not quite what I wanted, but scores don't move that much.

Honestly, objectively, I think it's a huge waste of time and money to retake at this point. But at the same time, I totally understand that you want to do your best, and that nagging "what if..." will be there. I guess you really have to objectively analyze whether or not there were any compelling reasons for performing below your expectations. If there are, retake maybe. If there aren't, don't bother. Move on. Hope to murder 1L year and transfer.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:24 pm

Retake. Big jumps happen if you're consistently practicing high and have just been underperforming/getting unlucky on test day. I took it twice with the exact same score, 3rd time got an 8-point jump.

Either that, or don't go.

Return to “Law School FAQ”