LLM? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
samham22

New

LLM?

Post by samham22 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 am

Just out of curiosity does getting an LLM make any difference in terms of employment prospects?? Say you got a JD at a lower ranked school but then got your LLM at a higher ranked place, would that do anything for you (ie Benjaman Braffman got his JD at Ohio Northern, LLM at NYU...) ?? Is it mostly for for foreigners or people wanting to get into academia?

I only ask because I am unfamiliar with the LLM degree. Thanks in advance.

TTH

Diamond

Re: LLM?

Post by TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 am

samham22 wrote:Just out of curiosity does getting an LLM make any difference in terms of employment prospects?? Say you got a JD at a lower ranked school but then got your LLM at a higher ranked place, would that do anything for you (ie Benjaman Braffman got his JD at Ohio Northern, LLM at NYU...) ?? Is it mostly for for foreigners or people wanting to get into academia?

For a lot of firms, your JD and JD class rank are still what matters. An LLM in tax can help somewhat, but it's not a gamechanger.

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 am

samham22 wrote:Just out of curiosity does getting an LLM make any difference in terms of employment prospects?? Say you got a JD at a lower ranked school but then got your LLM at a higher ranked place, would that do anything for you (ie Benjaman Braffman got his JD at Ohio Northern, LLM at NYU...) ?? Is it mostly for for foreigners or people wanting to get into academia?

I've heard conflicting reports. In once case, I worked with a woman who received her Law degree (of some kind) abroad and an LLM from harvard and it hasn't helped. The other case was a couple I met who both received JDs from Suffolk and went on to acquire LLMs (the husband went on to some type of PhD program - I don't remember/am not familiar) from GULC and they claimed it helped them advanced significantly and really added to their resumes. I can't speak to their class rank in either case.

In any case, I'd say, if you're currently employed and a company is pushing you towards a higher ranked law school's LLM, you should definitely take advantage. The latter couple in my example said that this had happened which certainly adds to the rationale.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 pm

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:05 pm

nealric wrote:Image
^^^ this is the only answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:07 pm

I'll admit that I know fuckall about LLM programs, so let me ask: what's so special about Florida?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:50 am

TipTravHoot wrote:I'll admit that I know fuckall about LLM programs, so let me ask: what's so special about Florida?
I'm curious too.

Also, I'm possibly interested in getting an LLM. Can anyone please point me to some informative reading material?

Thank you.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:00 am

FWIW, an LLM from Yale is a potential route to legal academia. I know one prof. in particular who made it from a lower Tier 2 JD to an ivy law full professorship with an LLM from Yale. There are others with similar stories, though I should make it clear that not all of them are teaching at T14 schools.

That said, it's difficult to get into the program and I'm pretty sure you need publications. The chart is cute but it's not 100% of the story.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:16 am

OneKnight wrote:FWIW, an LLM from Yale is a potential route to legal academia. I know one prof. in particular who made it from a lower Tier 2 JD to an ivy law full professorship with an LLM from Yale. There are others with similar stories, though I should make it clear that not all of them are teaching at T14 schools.

That said, it's difficult to get into the program and I'm pretty sure you need publications. The chart is cute but it's not 100% of the story.
Just to be clear, the Yale LLM program is geared almost exclusively to international students who are interested in a career in academia either in their home country or, I suppose, in the US. It used to be the case - and might be an accurate description of the prof you're describing, if she graduated a while ago - that graduates of lower-ranked law schools interested in teaching could get a boost to their applications by having an LLM from Yale: it was sort of a pre-academia finishing school. However, that's no longer the program's focus.

Info here: http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/LLM.htm and here: http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/G ... ochure.pdf

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:49 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:I'll admit that I know fuckall about LLM programs, so let me ask: what's so special about Florida?
Has one of the top 3 tax LLMs in the nation (I think it is #3 right now, although it had been holding the #2 spot for a long time).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”