How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
toaster2
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 11:55 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby toaster2 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:32 pm

.
Last edited by toaster2 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby dailygrind » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:24 pm

I don't own a single polo. Woe is me.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby Rand M. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:37 pm

toaster2 wrote:do people really believe that one shouldn't wear t shirts to school?


I don't believe you should wear t-shirts in public unless it is: 1. a gym 2. a beach. I am probably missing somewhere where it is also appropriate, but that's pretty close to the truth. I think the world is a judgmental place and people's opinions are quickly formed based on appearances. Why not give yourself a leg up in any game perceptions? The bottom line is wear what you want, but if it is a t-shirt then why do you want to wear that? The answer is probably something like comfort, which is cool, its just that everyone doesn't hold comfort as the ultimate goal. Not to mention, you can be comfortable in a real shirt; I know this to be true. T-shirts=overrated.

NewtonLied
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby NewtonLied » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Rand M. wrote:
toaster2 wrote:do people really believe that one shouldn't wear t shirts to school?


I don't believe you should wear t-shirts in public unless it is: 1. a gym 2. a beach. I am probably missing somewhere where it is also appropriate, but that's pretty close to the truth. I think the world is a judgmental place and people's opinions are quickly formed based on appearances. Why not give yourself a leg up in any game perceptions? The bottom line is wear what you want, but if it is a t-shirt then why do you want to wear that? The answer is probably something like comfort, which is cool, its just that everyone doesn't hold comfort as the ultimate goal. Not to mention, you can be comfortable in a real shirt; I know this to be true. T-shirts=overrated.


You can buy T-shirts for $9.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby JazzOne » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:41 pm

OP, you should wear this:

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby JazzOne » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:43 pm

jetlagz28 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

This was my study group in the student lounge on a daily basis.

lol

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby Rand M. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:46 pm

NewtonLied wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
toaster2 wrote:do people really believe that one shouldn't wear t shirts to school?


I don't believe you should wear t-shirts in public unless it is: 1. a gym 2. a beach. I am probably missing somewhere where it is also appropriate, but that's pretty close to the truth. I think the world is a judgmental place and people's opinions are quickly formed based on appearances. Why not give yourself a leg up in any game perceptions? The bottom line is wear what you want, but if it is a t-shirt then why do you want to wear that? The answer is probably something like comfort, which is cool, its just that everyone doesn't hold comfort as the ultimate goal. Not to mention, you can be comfortable in a real shirt; I know this to be true. T-shirts=overrated.


You can buy T-shirts for $9.


All the more reason they look ridiculous in any setting where you expect to be taken seriously. There are shirts with buttons that are far from breaking the bank. Everyone is concerned with different things though. Toaster was asking if there are really people who think people shouldn't wear tees. My point was that their are. I wouldn't say its necessarily the wrong move for someone else. It just sends a certain message.

NewtonLied
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby NewtonLied » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Rand M. wrote:
NewtonLied wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
toaster2 wrote:do people really believe that one shouldn't wear t shirts to school?


I don't believe you should wear t-shirts in public unless it is: 1. a gym 2. a beach. I am probably missing somewhere where it is also appropriate, but that's pretty close to the truth. I think the world is a judgmental place and people's opinions are quickly formed based on appearances. Why not give yourself a leg up in any game perceptions? The bottom line is wear what you want, but if it is a t-shirt then why do you want to wear that? The answer is probably something like comfort, which is cool, its just that everyone doesn't hold comfort as the ultimate goal. Not to mention, you can be comfortable in a real shirt; I know this to be true. T-shirts=overrated.


You can buy T-shirts for $9.


All the more reason they look ridiculous in any setting where you expect to be taken seriously. There are shirts with buttons that are far from breaking the bank. Everyone is concerned with different things though. Toaster was asking if there are really people who think people shouldn't wear tees. My point was that [strike]their[/strike] there are. I wouldn't say its necessarily the wrong move for someone else. It just sends a certain message.


I may be wearing a t shirt, but I still FTFY.

User avatar
brigun
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby brigun » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Image

If you don't look like this when going to class, your wrong.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby Rand M. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:49 pm

NewtonLied wrote:I may be wearing a t shirt, but I still FTFY.


Sincerest thanks.

^^^ Are you going to fix his mistake Newton?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby dakatz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:52 pm

Lol at people who say its not appropriate to wear a t-shirt to class :)

NewtonLied
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby NewtonLied » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Rand M. wrote:
NewtonLied wrote:I may be wearing a t shirt, but I still FTFY.


Sincerest thanks.

^^^ Are you going to fix his mistake Newton?


*Sigh* I suppose I could, but he wasn't putting people down based on how they dress. His lack of pretension makes me less inclined to point out that he isn't perfect.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:56 pm

Rand M. wrote:
toaster2 wrote:do people really believe that one shouldn't wear t shirts to school?


I don't believe you should wear t-shirts in public unless it is: 1. a gym 2. a beach. I am probably missing somewhere where it is also appropriate, but that's pretty close to the truth. I think the world is a judgmental place and people's opinions are quickly formed based on appearances. Why not give yourself a leg up in any game perceptions? The bottom line is wear what you want, but if it is a t-shirt then why do you want to wear that? The answer is probably something like comfort, which is cool, its just that everyone doesn't hold comfort as the ultimate goal. Not to mention, you can be comfortable in a real shirt; I know this to be true. T-shirts=overrated.


let's see someone once said, "Every man builds his world in his own image. He has the power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of choice." This person was also all about not subjecting yourself to the whims and desires of the masses. But I can't quite put my finger on who she was... famous author I think? her book cover's had a distinct look that I think i've seen somewhere around here...

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby Rand M. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:58 pm

NewtonLied wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
NewtonLied wrote:I may be wearing a t shirt, but I still FTFY.


Sincerest thanks.

^^^ Are you going to fix his mistake Newton?


*Sigh* I suppose I could, but he wasn't putting people down based on how they dress. His lack of pretension makes me less inclined to point out that he isn't perfect.


I'm not putting people down. It's a matter of taste. I really could not possibly care less what others wear (as long as it's not pajamas). I just like to send a different vibe. Even when you think they aren't, people are watching. Professors, bosses, etc really do notice this stuff. Not caring about your appearance says something whether you want it to or not.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby Rand M. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
toaster2 wrote:do people really believe that one shouldn't wear t shirts to school?


I don't believe you should wear t-shirts in public unless it is: 1. a gym 2. a beach. I am probably missing somewhere where it is also appropriate, but that's pretty close to the truth. I think the world is a judgmental place and people's opinions are quickly formed based on appearances. Why not give yourself a leg up in any game perceptions? The bottom line is wear what you want, but if it is a t-shirt then why do you want to wear that? The answer is probably something like comfort, which is cool, its just that everyone doesn't hold comfort as the ultimate goal. Not to mention, you can be comfortable in a real shirt; I know this to be true. T-shirts=overrated.


let's see someone once said, "Every man builds his world in his own image. He has the power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of choice." This person was also all about not subjecting yourself to the whims and desires of the masses. But I can't quite put my finger on who she was... famous author I think? her book cover's had a distinct look that I think i've seen somewhere around here...


Good job. Guys, I really do not care what any of you wears, ever. Just live life.

roadkilllaw
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby roadkilllaw » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Honestly, I think what you wear depends on the school/state. I've visited schools in Cali and the difference b/w UG and Law is that law students don't show up in their pajamas. California is notoriously casual so you could wear T-shirt/jeans and be ok, but in NY I'd prbly go business casual.

Edit: Do business casual the 1st few days and just see how others are dressed so you won't stand out

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby rayiner » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:03 pm

dakatz wrote:Lol at people who say its not appropriate to wear a t-shirt to class :)


Dress standards are decorum for the sake of decorum. It is a signal that says: "I know what the rules are and choose to follow them." Conscientious adherence to dress codes creates a more professional, less casual environment, which many people believe appropriate for *professional* school. In any case, it's something you'll have to ge used to in the professional world, so you might as well get used to it now.

00TREX00
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby 00TREX00 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:06 pm

-
Last edited by 00TREX00 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby dakatz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:08 pm

rayiner wrote:
dakatz wrote:Lol at people who say its not appropriate to wear a t-shirt to class :)


Dress standards are decorum for the sake of decorum. It is a signal that says: "I know what the rules are and choose to follow them." Conscientious adherence to dress codes creates a more professional, less casual environment, which many people believe appropriate for *professional* school. In any case, it's something you'll have to ge used to in the professional world, so you might as well get used to it now.


I give people in "professional" schools enough credit as to be able to figure out the difference between a typical day of class, and interviews/networking/jobs. They don't necessarily overlap and the "decorum" of one need not encompass both. The key word in "professional school", believe it or not, is school. So it can be treated as such.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby Rand M. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:08 pm

00TREX00 wrote:@ CLS (I would guess among the stuffiest, most corporate of law schools) a large group of people rock t-shirts/sweatshirts/strange casual clothing on a daily basis. These people will also be working @ big firms, and they also have good relationships with professors. Thankfully, we aren't living in 1915. Law school isn't a job, it's school. Even some very successful firms these days allow casual dress during non-client time.

Of course, dressing to the nines in this day and age to go to your con-law class does say something. It says, "I think I'm much more important than I really am, and I am going to be a very annoying person to interact with."


Agree to disagree.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_9hYMVVv_Q

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:14 pm

00TREX00 wrote:@ CLS (I would guess among the stuffiest, most corporate of law schools) a large group of people rock t-shirts/sweatshirts/strange casual clothing on a daily basis. These people will also be working @ big firms, and they also have good relationships with professors. Thankfully, we aren't living in 1915. Law school isn't a job, it's school. Even some very successful firms these days allow casual dress during non-client time.

Of course, dressing to the nines in this day and age to go to your con-law class does say something. It says, "I think I'm much more important than I really am, and I am going to be a very annoying person to interact with."


yeah i think theres still a big difference between class and the workplace... you have the next 30 or 40 years for professional dress, what's the rush?

00TREX00
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby 00TREX00 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:16 pm

-
Last edited by 00TREX00 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valley splitter
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby valley splitter » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:27 pm

this is the most insipid thread ever. who really cares? wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I'm going to school in CA where it's sunny most of the year so I'll be wearing cargo shorts and flip flops every now and then with tshirts. I'll probably wear jeans and comfortabe shoes with a polo, too. and I'll wear business casual when needed and go formal whenever the occasion merits it. If you can pull a look off why not? People who are clothes whores probably tend to be that way because they need the clothes to make them look better as a whole. Fortunately for some of us, it doesn't matter what we wear.

andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby andreea7 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Hmm, as a New Yorker who went to Columbia, I would like to ask the people who keep mentioning NY among the more dressed-up places: are you kidding? Sure, you have a lot of people showing off their fancy expensive outfits, but I don't actually qualify a blouse showing a woman's naked back or belly as dressed-up unless she is going out with friends at night.

I work in an office where the big boss comes dressed in shorts and flip-flops in the summer. Granted, women tend to dress more professionally, but women usually care more about their appearance. When I visited a law school in New York it became quite obvious people did not dress up -- but they did not dress down either. In other words, just dress like a grown up would.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: How formal ought I dress while attending class in law school

Postby rayiner » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:31 pm

dakatz wrote:
rayiner wrote:
dakatz wrote:Lol at people who say its not appropriate to wear a t-shirt to class :)


Dress standards are decorum for the sake of decorum. It is a signal that says: "I know what the rules are and choose to follow them." Conscientious adherence to dress codes creates a more professional, less casual environment, which many people believe appropriate for *professional* school. In any case, it's something you'll have to ge used to in the professional world, so you might as well get used to it now.


I give people in "professional" schools enough credit as to be able to figure out the difference between a typical day of class, and interviews/networking/jobs. They don't necessarily overlap and the "decorum" of one need not encompass both. The key word in "professional school", believe it or not, is school. So it can be treated as such.


Yes, it's school and not work. That's why I'm not advocating showing up in a suit. T-shirts are still inappropriate for a bunch of people in their mid 20s. Looking around, I can't see a single person in the atrium on a Sunday wearing a t-shirt...

EDIT: Oh, there is one. It's salmon colored. Very classy.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests