Sticker or no debt?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Education1st

Sticker or no debt?

Postby Education1st » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm unsure of what to do. Do I attend a Willamette or Loyola Chicago and pay nearly sticker or do I attend Hamline and finish with little to no debt? I want to live in the pacific northwest
Last edited by Education1st on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southernboy

Re: Sticker or no debt?

Postby southernboy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:43 pm

this would be a no brainer for me. I'd definitely choose Hamline with no debt

SOCRATiC

Postby SOCRATiC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:45 pm

southernboy wrote:this would be a no brainer for me. I'd definitely choose Hamline with no debt

TITCR

Education1st

Postby Education1st » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:46 pm

So, in the end reputation doesn't matter that much?

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Is the scholarship conditional? If so, what are the conditions?

Education1st

Postby Education1st » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Must maintain a 2.5. Did I mention they'd give me a $400 plane voucher?

Education1st

Postby Education1st » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:52 pm

I suppose I want someone to tell me to go to the better school, it'll pay off in the long run.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:53 pm

??? to the answers advising Hamline.

If you go to Hamline in MN I suspect you may have a very difficult time finding a job in MN, nevermind in the pacific northwest. Going for free is nice, but I imagine even with no tuition you will accrue $40,000 or so in cost of living expenses while attending, so you would still be taking on debt.

If you go to Loyola in Chicago I imagine you will have a hard time getting a job outside of the Chicago area.

I think in terms of career options Willamette in OR is likely the only choice that could give you some good options in OR when you graduate (assuming OR is a part of the pacific northwest you would want to live in- I doubt that the school would give you too many options outside of OR).

Just my 2 cents.

Education1st

Postby Education1st » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Hmm. I wonder if it would help if I added that I live in, and will return to Alaska. We don't have a law school here.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:02 pm

Interesting... I think maybe that could change things. I suspect that going to any ABA school may serve you well if you are returning to Alaska, but I'm really not sure. A degree from Hamline may do just as well as the others.... Loyola probably would give you the best education of the three, but it sounds like judging by your circumstances maybe taking the money could be wise.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Education1st wrote:Hmm. I wonder if it would help if I added that I live in, and will return to Alaska. We don't have a law school here.

Do you know if Alaskan firms visit any of those schools during OCI? Try and find lists of firms by location for each school and find out. Try to look over some Alaskan firms and see where their graduates are coming from.

I know Duke has a law journal for Alaska, but no other law school pops into my when I hear Alaska.

Education1st

Postby Education1st » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Education1st wrote:Hmm. I wonder if it would help if I added that I live in, and will return to Alaska. We don't have a law school here.

Do you know if Alaskan firms visit any of those schools during OCI? Try and find lists of firms by location for each school and find out. Try to look over some Alaskan firms and see where their graduates are coming from.

I know Duke has a law journal for Alaska, but no other law school pops into my when I hear Alaska.

Thanks this is thoughtful, helpful advice. My pre-law advisor says that Willamette tries to be Alaska's law school. Our senior Senator is an alum. Maybe I'll attempt a little scholarship negotiation. Perhaps, Willamette will give me half of what Hamline is offering.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Do you know if Alaskan firms visit any of those schools during OCI?

Lol. Don't count on getting a job in Alaska through OCI. There are hardly any firms large enough to do on-campus recruiting there. NALP lists a grand total of 3 firms with a total of fewer than 30 attorneys between them- hiring on average 1 person a year.

To the OP: since you are planning to go to Alaska, I would just go where you can go for free. Make sure you go home and network in Alaska as much as humanely possible. Alaska is going to have a very small, very closely knit legal community. Who you know will be absolutely key.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:54 pm

nealric wrote:
Do you know if Alaskan firms visit any of those schools during OCI?

Lol. Don't count on getting a job in Alaska through OCI. There are hardly any firms large enough to do on-campus recruiting there. NALP lists a grand total of 3 firms with a total of fewer than 30 attorneys between them- hiring on average 1 person a year.

To the OP: since you are planning to go to Alaska, I would just go where you can go for free. Make sure you go home and network in Alaska as much as humanely possible. Alaska is going to have a very small, very closely knit legal community. Who you know will be absolutely key.

I pretty much figured as much. I didn't know if there were firms that came to Washington or Portland though. Did not realize the lack of firms there. If you look through Martin Hubble though, you can see more but it still is only 9 firms with 25+ attorneys.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:59 pm

nealric wrote:Make sure you go home and network in Alaska as much as humanely possible.
Yes, do make sure you don't network cruelly. :lol:

Is it just me, or is "I want to live in the pacific northwest" an extremely misleading way of saying you want to live in Alaska?

OP, I wouldn't make a decision that assumes your pre-law advisor knows what she's talking about. Look on martindale or some Alaska-specific lookup and see which schools are heavily represented in Alaska.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:07 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
nealric wrote:Make sure you go home and network in Alaska as much as humanely possible.
Yes, do make sure you don't network cruelly. :lol:

Beat me to it

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:10 pm

I'd go Loyola-Chicago only because I love Chicago and I think you'd get the best education there.

Also, random question, how the hell do you negotiate scholly money?? I've never heard of or done this before. Does it often work?

Education1st

Postby Education1st » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:12 pm

as stars burn wrote:I'd go Loyola-Chicago only because I love Chicago and I think you'd get the best education there.

Also, random question, how the hell do you negotiate scholly money?? I've never heard of or done this before. Does it often work?

Don't quote me on this, I've heard of people telling one school that another school is offering them X dollars. Can you match it. Sounds like it's worth a try, particularly if your already admitted.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Education1st wrote:
as stars burn wrote:I'd go Loyola-Chicago only because I love Chicago and I think you'd get the best education there.

Don't quote me on this, I've heard of people telling one school that another school is offering them X dollars. Can you match it. Sounds like it's worth a try, particularly if your already admitted.

Thanks. I may try this with the school I'm probably going to go to. I'm 85% certain I'm headed to Chicago-Kent in August....you'll love Chicago :)

Education1st

Postby Education1st » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm not sure I'd love Chicago. it's a big city. I love Alaska, and I don't see many similarities. Does Chicago have Mountains? Salmon fishing? Dog Mushers?

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Education1st wrote:I'm not sure I'd love Chicago. it's a big city. I love Alaska, and I don't see many similarities. Does Chicago have Mountains? Salmon fishing? Dog Mushers?

haha, no. You're right...it is a big city but there's so much culture (which is why I like it a lot). Loyola places well in the city, but if you're going back to Alaska after graduation I would go to the school with the most OCI from Alaska or will help you more when you go back home. In the end, the decision is up to you.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 pm

No debt?

Car payment? Car insurance? Housing? Utilities? Food? Gas? Entertainment? Unexpected fees/costs? Law school books? Other books? Clothing for interviews? Et cetera....

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Yes, do make sure you don't network cruelly.

Lol- spelling fail.

Humanly is of course what I meant.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:11 pm

With these options, go with no debt, especially if you plan on returning to Alaska. No school is help you in Alaska better than you can help yourself by being a native and networking.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:20 pm

^ Seriously.

If you want to go back to Alaska, reputation is not going to do you much good outside of the top law schools. I bet you many hiring partners in Alaska will ask you what a Loyola is. So no matter which of those schools you go to, you'll have to do a lot of leg work to land a job in Alaska. Do not go to Loyola and take on so much debt with the expectation that the reputation will carry your much farther than the Chi-town borders without stellar grades.

In this case, if you can't go to a top law school and there's no regional law school available, then cut the debt. Seriously. It can't be stressed enough.

Also, ask as many working attorneys in Alaska as you can where they went to law school. If there's a dominant one and you can get in there, go to that school.

Return to “Law School FAQ”