Anyone using a mac laptop for LS? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kswiss

Bronze

Anyone using a mac laptop for LS?

Post by kswiss » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:32 pm

I have a macbook pro with windows 7 dual booted. It works pretty well and is fast, but the keyboard layout and the way the mouse scrolls isn't quite the same when on the windows side. I know that most of the software for testing is PC only.

Anyone with any experience with this?

I'm thinking of getting a netbook anyway, but I'm not sure I want to take tests on such a small screen either.

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Re: Anyone using a mac laptop for LS?

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:57 pm

kswiss wrote:I have a macbook pro with windows 7 dual booted. It works pretty well and is fast, but the keyboard layout and the way the mouse scrolls isn't quite the same when on the windows side. I know that most of the software for testing is PC only.

Anyone with any experience with this?

I'm thinking of getting a netbook anyway, but I'm not sure I want to take tests on such a small screen either.
Most schools have software for macs now too. It is probably kind of a necessity considering at most the law schools I visited about half the people seemed to have Macs.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

I have a 10" netbook and although it's great for personal stuff and carrying around, there is no way I'm going to do reading or write papers on there, just too small.

You can always dual boot a Mac if that's what you want, then you have the choice of Windows or OSX. I'm going to look around for a used/cheap Mac as school starts to get closer, or when loan money is disbursed :)

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Not all schools use exam software. Georgetown doesn't.

I find about 30-40% of students are on macs.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:03 pm

IU requires Windows for exams. Not sure about other schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Columbia's exam software only runs on windows, however they provide instructions for installing windows on macs (using bootcamp), and a lot of people take advantage of this option.

That said, if you are running windows on a mac using bootcamp, they make you sign a waiver saying if the software crashes (which it does very occassionally), you're completely responsible. So basically you have to be willing to run that risk (which is admittedly a small one).

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:07 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Columbia's exam software only runs on windows, however they provide instructions for installing windows on macs (using bootcamp), and a lot of people take advantage of this option.

That said, if you are running windows on a mac using bootcamp, they make you sign a waiver saying if the software crashes (which it does very occassionally), you're completely responsible. So basically you have to be willing to run that risk (which is admittedly a small one).
What happens if your PC running Windows crashes during an exam?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:12 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:Columbia's exam software only runs on windows, however they provide instructions for installing windows on macs (using bootcamp), and a lot of people take advantage of this option.

To be honest, for the purpose of exams I think it's the same - either way if you can't reboot and get it to work, you have to handwrite your exam.

That said, I think the purpose of the waiver is there are very isolated incidents of the software totally screwing up the computer to the point where data and settings are lost. If this happens on a PC, it's the exam software company's problem because they certified compatibility. If it happens on a mac, you are SOL.

They also told us that the incidence of crashes (both those that can be solved by a reboot and those that can't) are higher on macs than PCs, though still very low rates for both.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:15 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:

To be honest, for the purpose of exams I think it's the same - either way if you can't reboot and get it to work, you have to handwrite your exam.

That said, I think the purpose of the waiver is there are very isolated incidents of the software totally screwing up the computer to the point where data and settings are lost. If this happens on a PC, it's the exam software company's problem because they certified compatibility. If it happens on a mac, you are SOL.

They also told us that the incidence of crashes (both those that can be solved by a reboot and those that can't) are higher on macs than PCs, though still very low rates for both.
I'm not going to Columbia, but this post makes me seriously consider getting a netbook, because I can't imagine having endured an entire semester of a class just to bomb it because my computer crashed and having no recourse against it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Halibut6 wrote: I'm not going to Columbia, but this post makes me seriously consider getting a netbook, because I can't imagine having endured an entire semester of a class just to bomb it because my computer crashed and having no recourse against it.
To be fair, I don't want to overstate the "dangers" of getting a mac. Many of my friends used macs, and none of them had problems that I know of. In fact, anecdotally the one person I know who had their computer crash during an exam had a PC.

But Columbia makes a big show of trying to get people to use PCs.

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:25 pm

In BLS-i'd say about 60% of 1L's have Macs, if not more. A lot of exam software now has support for Mac

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 pm

I have a mac - I am using it right now - but I think I will also get a netbook for exams.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Can we get more people to come out of the woodworks and talk about exam software compatibility? Maybe some Chicago people? NYU? UVa?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:52 pm

can we compile a list of schools that are mac-friendly (especially a mac without windows on it)

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:55 pm

sarlis wrote:can we compile a list of schools that are mac-friendly (especially a mac without windows on it)
Already done.

http://maclawstudents.com/blog/law-scho ... -software/
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:55 pm

I know that GW has just this year expanded their computer requirements to allow Macs.

Since the new Macs can run windows, for all intensive law school related purposes, it is the same as having a PC.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:57 pm

sarlis wrote:can we compile a list of schools that are mac-friendly (especially a mac without windows on it)
+11111, great idea

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:58 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
+11111, great idea
blhoward2 wrote:
Already done.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:01 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
+11111, great idea
blhoward2 wrote:
Already done.

Thanks for the link. There are a ton of schools on there, but many schools are not on there, like 4 out of the 5 i am considering haha

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:02 pm

sarlis wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
+11111, great idea
blhoward2 wrote:
Already done.

Thanks for the link. There are a ton of schools on there, but many schools are not on there, like 4 out of the 5 i am considering haha
If you look for IT requirements on each school's site...you'll likely find it. If you e-mail the guy who runs that site, he'll add it to the list.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 am

Great Satchmo wrote:I have a 10" netbook and although it's great for personal stuff and carrying around, there is no way I'm going to do reading or write papers on there, just too small.

You can always dual boot a Mac if that's what you want, then you have the choice of Windows or OSX. I'm going to look around for a used/cheap Mac as school starts to get closer, or when loan money is disbursed :)

Why Mac and not PC (besides OSX?)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”