UIUC vs Stanford EE?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nininininini
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 am

UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby nininininini » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:07 am

hey,guys, first post here:D

Im highly interested in IP law and I guess I want to be an IP attorney in the future.
Major in electrical engineering for my college.
I have already been admitted to UIUC law with 10k/y and I am also admitted to Stanford, Master of Science in electrical engineering.
My SO is probably going to UIUC for an engineering Phd program and i do want to stay with him.
Any idea which one shall i choose if i want to practice IP? is it a big plus if i apply the law school after i finish my master degree at Stanford?

Thank you so much!

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby englawyer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:24 am

the MS degree is probably not worth the opportunity costs if you KNOW you want patent law. but if there is any chance at all that you want to be an engineer, an MS at Stanford is an amazing opportunity.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby englawyer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 am

btw, i am assuming you are paying for the MS. if you have a scholarship that would change my vote

Derrex
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 am

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby Derrex » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:47 am

I'd just go to UIUC, stanford ee is not necessary to do patent law. Its about 1.5 years and about 70k total. Odds of financial aid are usually close to 0, especially if you're masters only. If you do want to go engineering though, MSEE will help you a bit.

nininininini
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 am

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby nininininini » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:16 am

englawyer wrote:btw, i am assuming you are paying for the MS. if you have a scholarship that would change my vote


yeah, i dont have any financial aid for the MS.
but my family are quite supportive. Thanks a lot!

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby im_blue » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:16 am

If you want IP law, the Stanford MSEE is not necessary. It will delay your law school by 2 years and cost $40k in tuition.

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby engineer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:33 am

nininininini wrote:hey,guys, first post here:D

Im highly interested in IP law and I guess I want to be an IP attorney in the future.
Major in electrical engineering for my college.
I have already been admitted to UIUC law with 10k/y and I am also admitted to Stanford, Master of Science in electrical engineering.
My SO is probably going to UIUC for an engineering Phd program and i do want to stay with him.
Any idea which one shall i choose if i want to practice IP? is it a big plus if i apply the law school after i finish my master degree at Stanford?

Thank you so much!


I'm also an electrical engineer. I did a double in electrical engineering and biomedical engineering, and I have talked about this with one of my profs, who has a masters in biomedical engineering. This professor told me that if you want to be really useful in the patent law field (this person is a patent attorney and a visiting professor), you absolutely must have an advanced degree. I mean, you know as well as I do that a bachelor's in EE didn't really teach you too much.

Personally, if I were you, I'd take the MS program at Stanford in a heart beat. If you're still interested in law after that, you will have a better chance at getting into a top-ranked school.

It's true, you don't need an MS to be a patent attorney. However, from what I've heard from someone in the field, it REALLY helps. According to this professor, however, a Ph.D. isn't necessary and won't provide you with too much more.

Just my opinion.

nininininini
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 am

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby nininininini » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:05 am

engineer wrote:
nininininini wrote:hey,guys, first post here:D

Im highly interested in IP law and I guess I want to be an IP attorney in the future.
Major in electrical engineering for my college.
I have already been admitted to UIUC law with 10k/y and I am also admitted to Stanford, Master of Science in electrical engineering.
My SO is probably going to UIUC for an engineering Phd program and i do want to stay with him.
Any idea which one shall i choose if i want to practice IP? is it a big plus if i apply the law school after i finish my master degree at Stanford?

Thank you so much!


I'm also an electrical engineer. I did a double in electrical engineering and biomedical engineering, and I have talked about this with one of my profs, who has a masters in biomedical engineering. This professor told me that if you want to be really useful in the patent law field (this person is a patent attorney and a visiting professor), you absolutely must have an advanced degree. I mean, you know as well as I do that a bachelor's in EE didn't really teach you too much.

Personally, if I were you, I'd take the MS program at Stanford in a heart beat. If you're still interested in law after that, you will have a better chance at getting into a top-ranked school.

It's true, you don't need an MS to be a patent attorney. However, from what I've heard from someone in the field, it REALLY helps. According to this professor, however, a Ph.D. isn't necessary and won't provide you with too much more.

Just my opinion.


Thanks a lot! actually what you suggested was exactly my parents' advice~~~
still thinking about it though~~~

User avatar
zreinhar
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby zreinhar » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:28 pm

I realize this thread is a little old but thought I could contribute. I was planning on going to Georgia State this fall and applied to Stanford on a whim, and then ended up getting in (for the MSEE). I'll be delaying law school to get the MSEE but my situation is a little different. I have a great engineering job that will pay for the MSEE and I feel as though I underperformed on the LSAT so sitting two years, getting good WE and a prestigious degree will make things alot better for me from an application standpoint. I mean if I can bring my LSAT up a few points the schools I could go to would drastically change. But UIUC is a great school and has a good IP program as well..

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Will UIUC ECE department let you do an MSEE combo with JD? UIUC is almost as good in EE as Stanford.

User avatar
zreinhar
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby zreinhar » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:46 pm

OP probably doesn't get on too much anymore... Im just excited to post something about going to a school someone has heard of :D so DF you start at NW this fall? Or are you there now?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Will UIUC ECE department let you do an MSEE combo with JD? UIUC is almost as good in EE as Stanford.


+1. A dual degree sounds like a good idea if you can swing it, since it sounds like pursuing a higher degree in engineering is important to you.

And if your SO is going to be at UIUC, don't discount the importance of that. Happiness in life is defined by more things than education, job prospects, etc.

User avatar
zreinhar
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby zreinhar » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:55 pm

I agree, look into the JD/MSEE combo, I talked to a rep at Mich about it and they usually are cool with working something out.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:08 am

zreinhar wrote:OP probably doesn't get on too much anymore... Im just excited to post something about going to a school someone has heard of :D so DF you start at NW this fall? Or are you there now?


Fall. I'm excited to start.

I did my BSEE at UIUC.
Last edited by 09042014 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:09 am

zreinhar wrote:I agree, look into the JD/MSEE combo, I talked to a rep at Mich about it and they usually are cool with working something out.


The hard part is UIUC ECE accepting OP, but if Stanford did, chances are decent.

User avatar
zreinhar
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby zreinhar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
zreinhar wrote:I agree, look into the JD/MSEE combo, I talked to a rep at Mich about it and they usually are cool with working something out.


The hard part is UIUC ECE accepting OP, but if Stanford did, chances are decent.


Yeah, I didn't realize it was quite that hard to get into UIUC, then I looked at their admission statistics and saw their admission percentage is on par (I think even lower than) Stanford's

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:49 pm

zreinhar wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
zreinhar wrote:I agree, look into the JD/MSEE combo, I talked to a rep at Mich about it and they usually are cool with working something out.


The hard part is UIUC ECE accepting OP, but if Stanford did, chances are decent.


Yeah, I didn't realize it was quite that hard to get into UIUC, then I looked at their admission statistics and saw their admission percentage is on par (I think even lower than) Stanford's


They are one of the best EE schools in the world. Also I get the feeling they don't take too many Masters students. Almost all the grad students I met when I was there were PhD students. MS was basically awarded to PhD drop outs. Though they do take some.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:45 pm

OMG Stanford!!!

byunbee
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Fall. I'm excited to start.

I did my BSEE at UIUC.


DF, I knew some BSEEs during my time in Champaign, let's just say you don't seem as nerdy (I could be wrong).

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:56 pm

byunbee wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Fall. I'm excited to start.

I did my BSEE at UIUC.


DF, I knew some BSEEs during my time in Champaign, let's just say you don't seem as nerdy (I could be wrong).


I'm pretty nerdy, but nearly as aggressively nerdy, and I'm not an aspergers case.

When were you in Champaign.

byunbee
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:00 pm

Graduated in '09, I lived just north of the engineering quad with a couple of engineers. Nice quiet living north of Springfield, probably the only reason I was able to finish my thesis on time.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:01 pm

byunbee wrote:Graduated in '09, I lived just north of the engineering quad with a couple of engineers. Nice quiet living north of Springfield, probably the only reason I was able to finish my thesis on time.


I lived on white and 6th from 07-08.

byunbee
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Jeez, it must've been like a ghost town up there.

I'm assuming you're going to live in Chicago, if you aren't there already.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:17 pm

byunbee wrote:Jeez, it must've been like a ghost town up there.

I'm assuming you're going to live in Chicago, if you aren't there already.


Surburbs now. Looking for an apartment for Aug 1 in the city now.

Yea it was a ghost town, but it was in walking distance of the bars, my classes (engineering quad) and Dos Reales.

byunbee
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Postby byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Surburbs now. Looking for an apartment for Aug 1 in the city now.

Yea it was a ghost town, but it was in walking distance of the bars, my classes (engineering quad) and Dos Reales.


Yeesh, good luck with that.

Living a block from DQ, Taco Bell, and Dos + junk addiction = 20 lbs gained senior year

LS stress + living in another college town for 3 years = switching to pants with elastic waistbands




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest