Best and worst legal markets? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
edgarfigaro

Bronze

Re: Best and worst legal markets?

Post by edgarfigaro » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:07 pm

citrus2010 wrote:Nothing about North Carolina markets? ANYONE?
I know two things. 1)Charlotte was hit hard by the banking crisis, legal market still hasn't recovered. 2)People above the median at UNC are striking out at OCI.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Anyone know anything about denver?

sheD

New

Post by sheD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:09 am

The state of Texas is about to cut about $25 billion from a budget that's already last in per-capita spending on several fronts. Plus we're going to run out of money to fund new transportation projects in 2012, and unless we raise the gas tax (good luck with the 2/3 Republican House and Senate) the transportation front is only going to get worse. If you move to Dallas, you have many, many toll roads in your future. But COL is good, so if you're making 150k and aren't too concerned with the state actually functioning, it's a good deal.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:41 am

edgarfigaro wrote:
citrus2010 wrote:Nothing about North Carolina markets? ANYONE?
I know two things. 1)Charlotte was hit hard by the banking crisis, legal market still hasn't recovered. 2)People above the median at UNC are striking out at OCI.
People above median at T14s were striking out in Charlotte, too. It is an extremely tough place to get a job.

cireland67

New

Post by cireland67 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:08 am

This is probably an odd one with most people relating Pennsylvania to Philly but...

What's the job situation for Pittsburgh? Anyone know?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:18 am

citrus2010 wrote:Stronger than Arizona, yes.

High school degree doesn't count as educated IMO, nor do associates degrees in nursing, dental assisting, etc.

Working with Utah's World Trade Center, I know there are new niche markets, but overall Utah offers little to the legal profession.

There are many people with associate degrees in nursing that out-earn lawyers.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:58 pm

cireland67 wrote:This is probably an odd one with most people relating Pennsylvania to Philly but...

What's the job situation for Pittsburgh? Anyone know?
All I know is, I spoke to a couple of alums there and they told me straight up it wasn't even worth looking unless I had some kind of connection. If they're right, it might be a hard market to break in to as an outsider.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:51 am

Raising threads from the dead today I see.

emhellmer

Bronze

Post by emhellmer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: raising threads from the dead. I think this is a great conversation to be having, especially for those of us choosing between various regional schools. You can take what you will from the information provided by the Department of Labor:

http://www.careerinfonet.org/carout3.as ... er=Percent

Right now I'm weighing the relative merits of several T30-60 schools in Texas, Louisiana, California, and Virginia. I'm certainly taking these numbers into consideration.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:53 pm

emhellmer wrote:Re: raising threads from the dead. I think this is a great conversation to be having, especially for those of us choosing between various regional schools. You can take what you will from the information provided by the Department of Labor:

http://www.careerinfonet.org/carout3.as ... er=Percent

Right now I'm weighing the relative merits of several T30-60 schools in Texas, Louisiana, California, and Virginia. I'm certainly taking these numbers into consideration.
Yeah, TX and VA are looking pretty good. If I needed another reason to stay around DC and go to GW instead of moving up to NH/Mass, this would be it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”