Nurse Attorneys? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JKRN

New

Nurse Attorneys?

Post by JKRN » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm currently a registered nurse, and was wondering what the job market is looking like for nurse attorneys working in health/malpractice law? Because of my background does it really matter in which tier I attend? I have been told (mostly by hospital administration, and one RN JD) that having this combination would ensure good job prospects. Any thoughts?

Unitas

Silver

Re: Nurse Attorneys?

Post by Unitas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:39 pm

JKRN wrote:I'm currently a registered nurse, and was wondering what the job market is looking like for nurse attorneys working in health/malpractice law? Because of my background does it really matter in which tier I attend? I have been told (mostly by hospital administration, and one RN JD) that having this combination would ensure good job prospects. Any thoughts?
I know of a nurse for 16 years who graduated with a jd degree two years ago and has a great job, she didn't go to a T14 law school either. So I think it does help, but not sure how much ITE.

JKRN

New

Post by JKRN » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:13 am

Kakarot wrote:
JKRN wrote:I'm currently a registered nurse, and was wondering what the job market is looking like for nurse attorneys working in health/malpractice law? Because of my background does it really matter in which tier I attend? I have been told (mostly by hospital administration, and one RN JD) that having this combination would ensure good job prospects. Any thoughts?
I know of a nurse for 16 years who graduated with a jd degree two years ago and has a great job, she didn't go to a T14 law school either. So I think it does help, but not sure how much ITE.
Thanks. Does this nurse work for a firm, or a healthcare company?

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Having a specific educational/professional background does not by itself ensure good job prospects. That being said, having a degree in the medical field is likely to be to your advantage if you want to practice health care law.

There is no single answer regarding what rank of law school you should shoot for. Common wisdom would hold that if you can attend a top law school, you will have top job prospects. However, if you have connections to the health care field in a specific geographic area, then rank of school becomes less important. If a school is a regional powerhouse, and you know that you want to practice law in that region, all the better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”