Undergrad grades Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jtoppe2

New

Undergrad grades

Post by jtoppe2 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:25 pm

So, I'm sure this question has been asked plenty of times, so stay with me. during my first two years of undergrad, I didn't really care about school and got mostly B's (plus 2 Cs, 2 Ds and 2 Fs when i was pledging my fraternity). But during junior and senior year i got all A's except for about 5 Bs. will the schools i'm applying to notice this trend, or will they just see the lsdas gpa? also, should i attach an addendum to my apps? thanks in advance.

reverendt

Bronze

Re: Undergrad grades

Post by reverendt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:28 pm

They'll probably notice the trend, but depending on how bad it hurt your GPA, you might consider an addendum to draw attention to the trend so they don't just circular file your application without looking at the trend.
Good luck!

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:38 pm

the 'i was pledging my fraternity'-addendum, in all honesty, is just going to make you look bad.

Don't send an addendum, and yes they'll notice the trend on their own.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:47 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:the 'i was pledging my fraternity'-addendum, in all honesty, is just going to make you look bad.

I second this motion.
Move to add that your cumulative LSAC GPA is all they will really care about, upward trend or no. It may help you a bit where your GPA is slightly below or at median, but I doubt they care that much.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:02 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:the 'i was pledging my fraternity'-addendum, in all honesty, is just going to make you look bad.

+1. What's the point of an addendum unless you really have a good reason (death in the family, illness, disability, etc)? Even a weaker reason like switching majors from premed/engineering to liberal arts looks better than pledging a frat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flounder

New

Post by flounder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 pm

New member here.

I went to school in 1990-1992 and ended up with a 2.2. I never went back until 2006. I finished the second half of my degree at a better school and I got a 4.0. That is a cummulative of 3.1. Do you think they will look at a 3.1 or a 4.0?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 pm

flounder wrote:New member here.

I went to school in 1990-1992 and ended up with a 2.2. I never went back until 2006. I finished the second half of my degree at a better school and I got a 4.0. That is a cummulative of 3.1. Do you think they will look at a 3.1 or a 4.0?

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:23 pm

Kind of in the same boat. You're a GPA splitter.

If you have good GPA addendum and work experience it will lessen the blow of the mediocre cumulative, but that's what they'll be looking at.

flounder

New

Post by flounder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:30 pm

autarkh wrote:

If you have good GPA addendum and work experience it will lessen the blow of the mediocre cumulative, but that's what they'll be looking at.
How does the GPA addendum work? I just send another letter stating "Hey, I dont suck as much as that number says I do!"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 am

flounder wrote:
autarkh wrote:

How does the GPA addendum work? I just send another letter stating "Hey, I dont suck as much as that number says I do!"
In a nutshell, yes.

You provide an insight (and maybe justification) that helps the adcomm interpret your low number. Look at the guides elsewhere on this site on how to write an effective addendum. In your case, you also have a record of achievement (the 4.0 and your work experience/job success) you can point to in order to bolster your argument.

Your strong upward trend after returning to school more than a decade later will show personal growth and hard work. It will be a positive "soft" factor. Numbers-wise, though, you're a 3.1. Ace the LSAT.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:46 am

I sure as hell hope the schools only look at the 4.0. It's bullshit that LSAC requires grades from a decade ago, as if that has any indication of the kind of student you currently are. In Canada, if you are 5 years out of school, you apply through a special mature student category where GPA isn't really considered. Apply to schools as if you have that 4.0 and see what happens.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:48 am

crazycanuck wrote:

I sure as hell hope the schools only look at the 4.0. It's bullshit that LSAC requires grades from a decade ago, as if that has any indication of the kind of student you currently are. In Canada, if you are 5 years out of school, you apply through a special mature student category where GPA isn't really considered. Apply to schools as if you have that 4.0 and see what happens.
They won't, because LSAC GPAs are reported as ABA data, which is reported by US News.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:54 am

im_blue wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:

They won't, because LSAC GPAs are reported as ABA data, which is reported by US News.
Which is why the law school admissions process is such fail down there. A cheap magazine decides who gets into law school and who doesn't.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:56 am

crazycanuck wrote:
im_blue wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:

Which is why the law school admissions process is such fail down there. A cheap magazine decides who gets into law school and who doesn't.
LSAC's methodology for computing the UGPA is not dictated by US News.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:34 am

autarkh wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
im_blue wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
No, but deciding whether that GPA is relevant or not apparently is (according to the popular opinions here on TLS)

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:39 am

crazycanuck wrote:
autarkh wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
im_blue wrote:
No, but deciding whether that GPA is relevant or not apparently is (according to the popular opinions here on TLS)
tbf, the fact that law schools weigh GPA heavily is probably one of the factors least influenced by the USNWR ranking system

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:46 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
autarkh wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
tbf, the fact that law schools weigh GPA heavily is probably one of the factors least influenced by the USNWR ranking system
The fact that schools only take into account LSAC is influenced by USNWR. Other wise the guy with the 4.0 and the 2.2 from 15 years ago, would be treated almost as good as a regular 4.0.

Who am I to bitch though. I'm only going to NU because of USNWR.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:48 am

Desert Fox wrote: The fact that schools only take into account LSAC is influenced by USNWR. Other wise the guy with the 4.0 and the 2.2 from 15 years ago, would be treated almost as good as a regular 4.0.

yeah those special cases are true... however for many Masters programs your GPA is even more important than for law school apps.

good thing there's USNWR for u DesertFox... http://www.top-masters-schools.com wouldn't even let u register probably :P

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:52 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: The fact that schools only take into account LSAC is influenced by USNWR. Other wise the guy with the 4.0 and the 2.2 from 15 years ago, would be treated almost as good as a regular 4.0.

yeah those special cases are true... however for many Masters programs your GPA is even more important than for law school apps.

good thing there's USNWR for u DesertFox... http://www.top-masters-schools.com wouldn't even let u register probably :P
No joke about top masters schools. I'm not sure if I could get into ANY reputable Phd in EE program. I could probably find some shitty MSEE program, but it would suck, and I'd have to put out.

The difference is if I went back and took courses, got A's, and did good research, I'd be able to get into a good program. They will factor in a trend.

Even med schools allow alternative transcripts.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:

No joke about top masters schools. I'm not sure if I could get into ANY reputable Phd in EE program. I could probably find some shitty MSEE program, but it would suck, and I'd have to put out.

The difference is if I went back and took courses, got A's, and did good research, I'd be able to get into a good program. They will factor in a trend.

Even med schools allow alternative transcripts.
Yeah almost all MS/PhD programs require a 3.0 just to apply.

flounder

New

Post by flounder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:15 pm

Well...
I did my LSAC GPA and it is even worse. I have a 2.95.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:22 pm

flounder wrote:Well...
I did my LSAC GPA and it is even worse. I have a 2.95.
Not good, a lot of schools have a 3.0 cutoff, and you'd need a super high LSAT to offset that. However, there are people who get into T14's with sub-3.0's and 170+.

flounder

New

Post by flounder » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:04 pm

I dont consider myself having a 2.95. I consider my 18-19 years, screw up time and my 35-36 years the real me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”