You're going to LS, but what did you REALLY want to do?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mrmangs

Re: You're going to LS, but what did you REALLY want to do?

Postby mrmangs » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:43 pm

paratactical wrote:
bergg007 wrote:How young of ages are we counting? In kindergarten I wanted to be a firetruck. When they told me I couldn't be a firetruck I decided I wanted to be a shark. I guess my aspirations haven't changed much.

My parents were worried that I was retarded when I was a kid because I kept insisting that I was going to be a steamshovel when I grew up or maybe a pony. Shame they were right.

The firetruck comment also reminds me of what a dumbass I was as a kid. I remember (I think I was in kindergarten) going with my class to visit the local fire station. The firefighters explained that they came when there was a fire somewhere, such as at one of our houses, and put it out. I asked, "what if we have our own water?"

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:45 pm

ResolutePear wrote:For the record, I really wouldn't mind going to medicine(any CONUS school) or economics/business(at a top school, Chicago, Wharton, etc.)

I'm probably going to end up going and doing a post bac after I strike out at banking recruiting and then don't get a better LSAT score during the retake.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:48 pm

MrKappus wrote:I want to move up to Nashua, get a nice little spread, get some sheep, and tend to them.

NH??

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:56 pm

paratactical wrote:
angiej wrote:--ImageRemoved--

I also want to do Danica Patrick.

Sweet baby Jesus. Why do you do this, para?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:57 pm

JazzOne wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Do what? She's pretty dayum hot.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:58 pm

paratactical wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Do what? She's pretty dayum hot.

I'm in class, and now you've got me all hot and bothered. Your avatar is kind of ruining the feeling though.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:00 pm

paratactical wrote:Do what? She's pretty dayum hot.

I do not understand this.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:00 pm

JazzOne wrote:I'm in class, and now you've got me all hot and bothered. Your avatar is kind of ruining the feeling though.

Just imagine your grandma blowing your grandpa.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:01 pm

paratactical wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I'm in class, and now you've got me all hot and bothered. Your avatar is kind of ruining the feeling though.

Just imagine your grandma blowing your grandpa.

I'm still picturing you and Danicka.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:44 pm

MrKappus wrote:I want to move up to Nashua, get a nice little spread, get some sheep, and tend to them.

One of my favorite movies.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:31 pm

Conservation ecologist/biologist :cry:

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:32 pm

If you chose law school as a default option, you are doomed from the get-go.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:15 am

Be a witch.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:48 pm

When I was a kid I wanted to be a "cake decorator in space." I guess I thought there was an untapped market in high orbit for personalized buttercream.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:52 pm

mrmangs wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Kripke --ImageRemoved--

You wanted to be the author of Naming and Necessity when you were a kid? That's weirder than wanting to be a hedge fund manager.

well maybe a little later in my "childhood" but it fit the pre-LS dreams topic.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Judith Butler

Postby Judith Butler » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:47 pm

After law school, I'll begin a career in stand up comedy. From there:

Write poems, novels, and fake memoirs under several nomes de plume such as "Sonya de Lito," "Franklin James," "I. Inoue" or "Simone"

Escape to Central America because I'm caught for a vague but serious white-collar crime. Run for a few months before settling in Cuba, where I live off of cheap pharmaceuticals and rum.

During the media frenzy that follows, I'm revealed as the sole author responsible for the renaissance of American poetics, several paradigm-shifting academic papers, a few mediocre novels, and 5 memoirs.

Among the most successful memoirs: "Liminal Beings: The Story of an Inuit Princess Living as a White Person Among Us"; "The Coal Train: The Friendship between a Meth Dealer and the Pit Pony He Saves"; "Hysterically Yours: Ten Years in a Canadian Mental Hospital"; "How to Spange: A Hitchhiker, Her Cat, and Their Tattoos."

Establish myself in Cuban politics. Within the first 8 years of my career I lift the Embargo, establish a world-renowned education system, and organize a nonprofit in the States that eventually leads to affordable, accessible abortions for all American women.

American fringe groups become outraged because of my work in reproductive rights. I am protected by an elaborate security system that surrounds my modest (but elegant) home in Cojimar. My enemies find a way to kidnap and murder my family.

I contact Yakuza headquarters in New York, DC, and Los Angeles. In exchange for a Cuban stronghold and a reasonable amount of Colombian snow, my new associates carry out revenge. First they capture the idiots who murdered my family. As a bonus, they take out a certain Alfred Sanger, a supreme court justice who has been busting my nuts for years.

At 57, I have done everything I ever wanted to do. Because of my intolerable arrogance, no one will marry me and I have no real friends. Distraught, I drown myself somewhere in Caracas but make it look like murder. A Swedish pop star is imprisoned for my "murder."

When they go to cremate my remains, they can't find them. They never do, but five years later a chunk of my embalmed brain pops up. Geneticists determine that it is mine, and neurologists reveal that it is a part of my prefrontal cortex, specifically, my Broca's area.

Cuba's National Assembly determines its fate. Within the year, my Broca's area amazes its first audience in a Havana science museum. It begins a 3 year international tour, spanning five continents and visiting Rasputin's penis in St. Petersburg.

Finally, I retire in my glass display in Havana.

Judith Butler

Postby Judith Butler » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 pm

^ Use as personal statement, Y/N?

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Judith Butler wrote:After law school, I'll begin a career in stand up comedy. From there:

Write poems, novels, and fake memoirs under several nomes de plume such as "Sonya de Lito," "Franklin James," "I. Inoue" or "Simone"

Escape to Central America because I'm caught for a vague but serious white-collar crime. Run for a few months before settling in Cuba, where I live off of cheap pharmaceuticals and rum.

During the media frenzy that follows, I'm revealed as the sole author responsible for the renaissance of American poetics, several paradigm-shifting academic papers, a few mediocre novels, and 5 memoirs.

Among the most successful memoirs: "Liminal Beings: The Story of an Inuit Princess Living as a White Person Among Us"; "The Coal Train: The Friendship between a Meth Dealer and the Pit Pony He Saves"; "Hysterically Yours: Ten Years in a Canadian Mental Hospital"; "How to Spange: A Hitchhiker, Her Cat, and Their Tattoos."

Establish myself in Cuban politics. Within the first 8 years of my career I lift the Embargo, establish a world-renowned education system, and organize a nonprofit in the States that eventually leads to affordable, accessible abortions for all American women.

American fringe groups become outraged because of my work in reproductive rights. I am protected by an elaborate security system that surrounds my modest (but elegant) home in Cojimar. My enemies find a way to kidnap and murder my family.

I contact Yakuza headquarters in New York, DC, and Los Angeles. In exchange for a Cuban stronghold and a reasonable amount of Colombian snow, my new associates carry out revenge. First they capture the idiots who murdered my family. As a bonus, they take out a certain Alfred Sanger, a supreme court justice who has been busting my nuts for years.

At 57, I have done everything I ever wanted to do. Because of my intolerable arrogance, no one will marry me and I have no real friends. Distraught, I drown myself somewhere in Caracas but make it look like murder. A Swedish pop star is imprisoned for my "murder."

When they go to cremate my remains, they can't find them. They never do, but five years later a chunk of my embalmed brain pops up. Geneticists determine that it is mine, and neurologists reveal that it is a part of my prefrontal cortex, specifically, my Broca's area.

Cuba's National Assembly determines its fate. Within the year, my Broca's area amazes its first audience in a Havana science museum. It begins a 3 year international tour, spanning five continents and visiting Rasputin's penis in St. Petersburg.

Finally, I retire in my glass display in Havana.

haha, yes use this as a personal statement except the ad comm might wonder how a dead person is able to submit a law school application.

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Broadway Actor, later turn play writer

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 am

When I was little I honestly aspired to be a pig. Unfortunately I fell in love with the book, Charlottes Web, and walked around for a few months insiting my family call me Wilbur while naming every spider I came in contact with "Charlotte."

Sadly I'm not kidding...after my parents realized how weird I was, they made me join the soccer and gymnastics team where I could actually socialize with humans and not bugs.

Jameela

Postby Jameela » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:20 am

when i was in elementary school, i wanted to be an actress or a concert pianist. i was pretty good at the piano and starting to learn the art of theatre, but my mom thought i was talking about tv acting and shot down my idea. as for being a professional pianist... she said i'm really good but lack the genius necessary for world wide success. looking back 12-14 years later, i'm glad i didn't go to music school, as the path of an artist is always tough...

in recent years, during college and the few years after college, i wanted to be counsel to a powerful/influential senator or congressman. i might still do this if the opportunity opens up. my ultimate dream, however, is to work to reform refugee and asylum law in the EU and in the US.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:16 am

Professional excel spreadsheet creator.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:32 pm

race car driver

Return to “Law School FAQ”