You're going to LS, but what did you REALLY want to do? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Korey

New

Re: You're going to LS, but what did you REALLY want to do?

Post by Korey » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Well I'm not in LS yet. But:

I wanted to be a pro-snowboarder. Realized that was unrealistic, so my dream then became to own a ski resort. Took ECON 1 and realized that opening a ski-resort had a huge fixed cost. So, now I want to go to LS. :)

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Korey wrote:Well I'm not in LS yet. But:

I wanted to be a pro-snowboarder. Realized that was unrealistic, so my dream then became to own a ski resort. Took ECON 1 and realized that opening a ski-resort had a huge fixed cost. So, now I want to go to LS. :)
Fixed costs are good and bad. They allow you to create a large long-term financing liability, which can be quite good depending on how you want to structure that side of your balance sheet. They also create high barriers to entry, which can be very good for obvious reasons.

Maybe you're just talking about the fact that you have to be loaded to start one / buy one.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:26 pm

3|ink wrote:Professional excel spreadsheet creator.
or administrative assistant

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:26 pm

northwood wrote:race car driver
Not what it cracks up to be. It's more fun when you are off the track.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:27 pm

My best friend moved to Colorado to ride full time. You can definitely be a "professional" snowboarder. Being pro AND profitable is the problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:

My best friend moved to Colorado to ride full time. You can definitely be a "professional" snowboarder. Being pro AND profitable is the problem.
Same goes for singing. And acting.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Hey! Being an excel jockey is glamorous. :D

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:39 pm

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I'm sorry sir, you need a PhD in Economics for that position.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Creative nonfiction MFA --> creative writing prof --> living in Pittsburgh for the rest of my life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm

mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Not necessarily ... I don't think aspiring singers and actors sing and act all day for a living. But if you want to snowboard all day working at a resort you can definitely do that.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:52 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I'm sorry sir, you need a PhD in Economics for that position.
I am not entirely convinced that most PhD holders in economics know how to use excel beyond basic level.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:53 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Creative nonfiction MFA --> creative writing prof --> living in Pittsburgh for the rest of my life.
All through sounds fairly obtainable. Why are you here? It's not like LS is a more profitable/easier path.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Creative nonfiction MFA --> creative writing prof --> living in Pittsburgh for the rest of my life.
All through sounds fairly obtainable. Why are you here? It's not like LS is a more profitable/easier path.
I was being mostly sarcastic. It would be the easier path to take (and I considered it for a while), but after thinking about it at length, I realized I would get bored rather quickly. My only salvation would be to publish a best-seller. Landing a "prestigious" public interest law job may be unlikely, but it's much easier to do that than become a famous writer (not to suggest that getting such a job is anywhere near "easy" in the absolute sense).

Even if I fell somewhat short of my aspirations, I would not be disappointed so long as I got some sort of decent legal job (IE, not legal temping or doc review).
Last edited by HeavenWood on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Not necessarily ... I don't think aspiring singers and actors sing and act all day for a living. But if you want to snowboard all day working at a resort you can definitely do that.
I simply meant that you can act or sing and be paid for it (and in that sense be a professional), but the hard part is making that work self-sustaining (i.e., have consistent enough work to make a living doing it). This does seem to be a different situation than what you were talking about.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:47 pm

mrmangs wrote: I simply meant that you can act or sing and be paid for it (and in that sense be a professional), but the hard part is making that work self-sustaining (i.e., have consistent enough work to make a living doing it). This does seem to be a different situation than what you were talking about.
Ya I meant in some sports/activities (such as snowboarding) you can actually derive the majority of your income (however low) from the it as a professional. If you are doing it on the side, I guess you are more of a professional at something else than the activity at hand.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote: I simply meant that you can act or sing and be paid for it (and in that sense be a professional), but the hard part is making that work self-sustaining (i.e., have consistent enough work to make a living doing it). This does seem to be a different situation than what you were talking about.
Ya I meant in some sports/activities (such as snowboarding) you can actually derive the majority of your income (however low) from the it as a professional. If you are doing it on the side, I guess you are more of a professional at something else than the activity at hand.
I'm sure many waiters and file clerks in LA would take issue with your last sentence, haha. :wink:

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:53 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I was being mostly sarcastic. It would be the easier path to take (and I considered it for a while), but after thinking about it at length, I realized I would get bored rather quickly. My only salvation would be to publish a best-seller. Landing a "prestigious" public interest law job may be unlikely, but it's much easier to do that than become a famous writer (not to suggest that getting such a job is anywhere near "easy" in the absolute sense).

Even if I fell somewhat short of my aspirations, I would not be disappointed so long as I got some sort of decent legal job (IE, not legal temping or doc review).
How do you feel the difference between the recognition of being a writer of best seller and being a successful PI attorney. You could be just the same, or even more accomplished without people knowing who you are in PI. I think I would love to be a creative writing professor if I can live with the low wages. I love teaching at the college level, but I can't live with the wages because of my insatiable greed :twisted:

Seriously you should do it. I am going to try to teach UG while in law school and beyond. Would be teaching right now if they did not cut the budget at my UG.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:54 pm

mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I'm sure many waiters and file clerks in LA would take issue with your last sentence, haha. :wink:
My comments were specifically meant for them ;) I got started off the streets by working on sets and stuff in LA, I know the dream that those professional service staffers have. :lol:

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:13 pm

r6_philly wrote: How do you feel the difference between the recognition of being a writer of best seller and being a successful PI attorney. You could be just the same, or even more accomplished without people knowing who you are in PI. I think I would love to be a creative writing professor if I can live with the low wages. I love teaching at the college level, but I can't live with the wages because of my insatiable greed :twisted:

Seriously you should do it. I am going to try to teach UG while in law school and beyond. Would be teaching right now if they did not cut the budget at my UG.
I guess I didn't make it clear that I decided law would most likely prove a more fulfilling career for me. But if it doesn't work out, I can always go back and get my MFA later on.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Lol at there being tenure track creative writing prof jobs

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:03 am

find a radioactive spider, get bit, sling webs and rescue redheads.
--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:09 am

dailygrind wrote:find a radioactive spider, get bit, sling webs and rescue redheads.
DELETED
?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:13 am

i wanted to be a professional baseball player, but I struck out on that job. Then I wanted to be a computer programer, but couldnt hack it. So I tried my hand at cooking- but got burned out by it. Was a door to door sales man, but no one would buy it.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:20 am

northwood wrote:i wanted to be a professional baseball player, but I struck out on that job. Then I wanted to be a computer programer, but couldnt hack it. So I tried my hand at cooking- but got burned out by it. Was a door to door sales man, but no one would buy it.
I wanted to be a doctor, but I didn't have the patients.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:22 am

beach_terror wrote:
northwood wrote:i wanted to be a professional baseball player, but I struck out on that job. Then I wanted to be a computer programer, but couldnt hack it. So I tried my hand at cooking- but got burned out by it. Was a door to door sales man, but no one would buy it.
I wanted to be a doctor, but I didn't have the patients.
No MD. No Patients.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”