(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Postby pez0182 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:39 pm

I have a juvenile record that was expunged. Since I was under 18 and it was a first time arrest for a misdemeanor I didn't have to go to court and instead was put on a diversion program. I spoke to a law enforcement official and he advised me only to disclose on my applications that specifically asked about arrests, not convictions as I never went to court. Now that I am starting to get accepted to schools I'm worried on the applications I did not disclose on it will be inconsistent with my record when I apply to the bar. Any advice? Should I disclose at the law schools I didn't?

Re: Disclosures

Postby agentcom » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Answer the question that is on the application. If it doesn't ask about arrests, don't tell them about arrests. If it asks about convictions, tell them about convictions. You haven't been convicted of anything, so don't put that down under a section asking about your convictions.

Of course, the bar will ask about EVERYTHING.

Re: Disclosures

Postby bees » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Tell law schools everything you are slightly worried about (as far as criminal records, undergrad misbehavior). One exception to this would be not to disclose speeding tickets when schools don't specifically ask for it.

Return to “Law School FAQ”