Biggest LSDAS GPA and Undergrad GPA Difference? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Diamond

Re: Biggest LSDAS GPA and Undergrad GPA Difference?

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 am

im_blue wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Any class you can get 97% correct isn't a real college course.
Maybe not, but uniformity seems necessary.
I actually agree that A+'s should be 4.0 for LDAS GPA. A+ isn't even a real grade.
But UIUC gives A+'s.
They give 4.0 A+'s. But even then not one class I had gave them out (that I know about, there are some classes than don't have a rubric or anything, you just get assigned a grade) since it was meaningless.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:35 pm

Oy this thread has me worried. What explains the disparity? I have a 3.92. My school does not use a plus/minus system, I have transfers form CC (for summer courses) but they are all A's, and exactly one hour of P/F (which i passed)... I do not see how they could change mine. Do my CC hours factor in?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:36 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Oy this thread has me worried. What explains the disparity? I have a 3.92. My school does not use a plus/minus system, I have transfers form CC (for summer courses) but they are all A's, and exactly one hour of P/F (which i passed)... I do not see how they could change mine. Do my CC hours factor in?
Yes CC's count. So your GPA looks like it will go up. As long as they are straight A's. A- will hurt you.

tadams86

Bronze

Post by tadams86 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:37 pm

GPA-3.2
LSDAS-2.71

thank you addendum!

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Oy this thread has me worried. What explains the disparity? I have a 3.92. My school does not use a plus/minus system, I have transfers form CC (for summer courses) but they are all A's, and exactly one hour of P/F (which i passed)... I do not see how they could change mine. Do my CC hours factor in?
Yes CC's count. So your GPA looks like it will go up. As long as they are straight A's. A- will hurt you.
That is my problem. I always make A's but they are like 91's and 92's. My professors report only the letter grade (a,b,c, etc...) at the end of the semester. How could GPA change? Also, the 3.92 includes my CC....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:41 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
That is my problem. I always make A's but they are like 91's and 92's. My professors report only the letter grade (a,b,c, etc...) at the end of the semester. How could GPA change? Also, the 3.92 includes my CC....
If it is on your transcript as an A it is an A. Hell I got a 46% in Calc3 and got an A-.

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:12 am

LSDAS: ~3
Degree: ~4

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:03 am

Undergrad: 3.51
LSDAS GPA: 2.49

Coupled with a 170 LSAT, my life kinda sucks right now. I hope I get into at least 1 t-25.

Edited to add that I was a touch screwed. I had non-punitive (according to the school) W's that lsac counted as F's. But I can't blame lsac too much because the school wrote off the semesters in question. I wish I would have known beforehand though. It sucks because some students get lucky because their school notates withdrawals in a way that lsac doesn't find punitive, and some don't. I read all the rules and the system is pretty arbitrary.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:24 am

My school offers an NC as an alternative to a W to encourage students to remain in the class to learn what they can and then retake it another semester. Too bad LSAC sees that as failure. So, an F in a 4 credit class takes my GPA down from a 3.71 to 3.52. The sad thing is that they only give out NC's for a few classes and your grade has to be a D or higher. I had a C, switched majors and didn't need the class anymore, so I opted for the "non-punitive" NC because I didn't want a 4 credit C hurting my GPA :roll: .

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:23 pm

charlesxavier wrote:My school offers an NC as an alternative to a W to encourage students to remain in the class to learn what they can and then retake it another semester. Too bad LSAC sees that as failure. So, an F in a 4 credit class takes my GPA down from a 3.71 to 3.52. The sad thing is that they only give out NC's for a few classes and your grade has to be a D or higher. I had a C, switched majors and didn't need the class anymore, so I opted for the "non-punitive" NC because I didn't want a 4 credit C hurting my GPA :roll: .
Yeah, a lot of UGs allow Pass/Fail or CR/NC grading, which doesn't count for their GPA either way. But LSAC chooses to count Fail or NC as an F.

wildcats2008

New

Post by wildcats2008 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Hey, so I have my undergrad gpa, but I have also taken several college courses as transfer credits during summers. I am not a transfer student though. There is a definite gap between my undergrad course rigor and my transfer credit course rigor. Do law schools only look at the combined gpa or do they separate them and weight accordingly? My case:

Northwestern Engineering- 14 classes taken, 3.22 gpa
Purdue- 7 classes taken, 3.76 gpa
Overall gpa- 3.4

Thanks for the help.

gustrock

Bronze

Post by gustrock » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:01 pm

GPA: 3.34
LSDAS: 3.36

not a typo. i think lsac may have messed up.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:29 pm

wildcats2008 wrote:Hey, so I have my undergrad gpa, but I have also taken several college courses as transfer credits during summers. I am not a transfer student though. There is a definite gap between my undergrad course rigor and my transfer credit course rigor. Do law schools only look at the combined gpa or do they separate them and weight accordingly? My case:

Northwestern Engineering- 14 classes taken, 3.22 gpa
Purdue- 7 classes taken, 3.76 gpa
Overall gpa- 3.4

Thanks for the help.
Law schools only look at the combined GPA, weighted by semester credits (not classes). I know NU has a strange way of counting course units instead of semester/quarter units, so you should ask your registrar's office how the conversion works. NU instructs pre-meds to count each class unit as 2.7 semester units, so that's probably the same for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:45 pm

OK, dumb question perhaps, but I do not understand what you are referring to here...where are you seeing these different GPAs? How is LSDAS different from UGPA? Maybe I am missing something?

gustrock

Bronze

Post by gustrock » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:14 am

nowinGA wrote:OK, dumb question perhaps, but I do not understand what you are referring to here...where are you seeing these different GPAs? How is LSDAS different from UGPA? Maybe I am missing something?
When your transcripts are send to LSAC, they take into account every single class you ever took (if you failed a class and retook it, they will count that failed grade, whereas your university didn't take it into consideration).

(That basic ISB class you failed freshman year because you were out acting like Dirk Diggler the night before the final will come back to bite you in the ass....Not that I know anyone like that :roll: )

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:10 pm

gustrock wrote:
nowinGA wrote:OK, dumb question perhaps, but I do not understand what you are referring to here...where are you seeing these different GPAs? How is LSDAS different from UGPA? Maybe I am missing something?
When your transcripts are send to LSAC, they take into account every single class you ever took (if you failed a class and retook it, they will count that failed grade, whereas your university didn't take it into consideration).

(That basic ISB class you failed freshman year because you were out acting like Dirk Diggler the night before the final will come back to bite you in the ass....Not that I know anyone like that :roll: )
So where to you find this on your reports? Where is it shown? I just see my one gpa from undergrad listed..

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:11 pm

nowinGA wrote:
gustrock wrote:

So where to you find this on your reports? Where is it shown? I just see my one gpa from undergrad listed..
Transcripts -> Academic Summary Report -> Cumulative GPA (not degree GPA)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

equestrian22

New

Post by equestrian22 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:43 pm

UGPA: 3.81
LSAC: 3.84 possibly higher

I took community college classes to graduate high school early and they are all A's which gave me a slight boost, but some may be A+'s so hopefully I'll see a bit larger boost.

duckz

New

Post by duckz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:19 pm

UGPA: 3.22
LSDAS: 2.6

(-0.62)

I stopped going to a bunch of classes early on and retook them later... ouch, never even heard about this until now 2 years after I graduated and looking to start studying for the LSAT. Thanks for the heads up pre-law advisor/phi alpha delta etc!!!

Anyone know if these are UGPA or LSDAS GPAS? http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html Is it safe to assume anything with percentiles regarding law schools is in LSDAS GPA?

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Degree GPA: 3.24
LSDAS: 3.24

was really hoping for a move in my gpa but i guess i take what i can get.

duckz

New

Post by duckz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:28 pm

are you uber splitters writing an addendum to explain your UGPA vs LSDAS GPA?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mleibman

New

Post by mleibman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:02 pm

No A+s in my UGRAD school. However, because I had a lousy first semester after transferring, my LSDAS GPA will help, not hurt me. I graduated from a Community College with a 3.92. My first semester at my new school is a 3.6. But after the summer, my LSDAS GPA will still be above a 3.8. I think it is good that they factor in Junior college grades, because it shows the entire academic performance of a student (you still earned the grades in Junior college). Unless your school offers A- and/or A+ grades, I doubt there is really much of a difference (maybe +/- .2 pts.); unless of course you are a transfer student like myself. The best way to know for sure is using the LSDAS GPA calculator.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:12 pm

UGPA: 3.2
LSDAS: 2.75

Sure glad I retook those failed classes!

(Thank god for addendums.)

CCNP

New

Post by CCNP » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:19 pm

but don't law schools get your lsdas gpa and your transcript? so the law school would be looking at both gpas

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:09 pm

CCNP wrote:but don't law schools get your lsdas gpa and your transcript? so the law school would be looking at both gpas
Yes, but only the LSDAS GPA counts for ABA data, which is reported by US News. Guess which one counts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”