District Attorney Salaries Across the US

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:Dallas ADA starts about $56K, I believe.

Which is equivalent to close to $100K in Chicago or NYC.


Its more like 68,000 in Chicago. Real estate in Chicago is reasonable. No way does it cost double to live in Chicago.



I looked at what it costs to live in Chicago when I was applying to schools. As compared to Texas, it's stupidly high.


You can find two bed condos for 200,000 in Lincoln Park, a nice area of Chicago. If you want to slum it up much cheaper.



200,000 will buy a hell of a house here. Like, about 3 two-bed condos could fit in to the house.

And that's not in the slums, either. That's quite nice sections of the city.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby Danteshek » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:59 am

Los Angeles is about 60k first year and 70k second year. After 7-10 years 130-140k is not unusual.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:02 am

kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Its more like 68,000 in Chicago. Real estate in Chicago is reasonable. No way does it cost double to live in Chicago.



I looked at what it costs to live in Chicago when I was applying to schools. As compared to Texas, it's stupidly high.


You can find two bed condos for 200,000 in Lincoln Park, a nice area of Chicago. If you want to slum it up much cheaper.



200,000 will buy a hell of a house here. Like, about 3 two-bed condos could fit in to the house.

And that's not in the slums, either. That's quite nice sections of the city.


Yea but the difference in mortgage payments per year is only 10-12K and that's a 15 year mortgage. And a lot of that value will be stored in the value of the condo.

Online calculators are saying 56 in Dallas equals anywhere form 68-80K in Chicago. Not bad for Dallas.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:09 am

Not really interested in arguing. I currently live in Dallas, and when I did COL analysis on schools, Chicago was roughly double that of Dallas with housing prices, taxes, etc.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:14 am

kalvano wrote:Not really interested in arguing. I currently live in Dallas, and when I did COL analysis on schools, Chicago was roughly double that of Dallas with housing prices, taxes, etc.


If you aren't interested in arguing don't respond back. COL in Chicago is not double for average people. Housing is, but health insurance, food, car, entrainment is only slightly more expensive. One a student budget where rent is a huge component of your cost of living it might be almost double.

And its certainly double if you are talking about living near Northwestern (its in the most expensive neighborhood).

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:44 am

Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not really interested in arguing. I currently live in Dallas, and when I did COL analysis on schools, Chicago was roughly double that of Dallas with housing prices, taxes, etc.


If you aren't interested in arguing don't respond back. COL in Chicago is not double for average people. Housing is, but health insurance, food, car, entrainment is only slightly more expensive. One a student budget where rent is a huge component of your cost of living it might be almost double.

And its certainly double if you are talking about living near Northwestern (its in the most expensive neighborhood).




Fine. You just said the single biggest expense for most people, the cost to put a roof overhead, makes it almost double comparing Dallas to Chicago. It doesn't matter if you're on a student budget or not. When you can buy the same condo in Dallas for less than half what it would cost in Chicago, pay less in taxes, and pay less overall for everything else, that makes it roughly double the cost to live in Chicago versus Dallas.

Do you really want to continue with this, seeing as how you yourself just admitted the point?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:07 am

kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not really interested in arguing. I currently live in Dallas, and when I did COL analysis on schools, Chicago was roughly double that of Dallas with housing prices, taxes, etc.


If you aren't interested in arguing don't respond back. COL in Chicago is not double for average people. Housing is, but health insurance, food, car, entrainment is only slightly more expensive. One a student budget where rent is a huge component of your cost of living it might be almost double.

And its certainly double if you are talking about living near Northwestern (its in the most expensive neighborhood).




Fine. You just said the single biggest expense for most people, the cost to put a roof overhead, makes it almost double comparing Dallas to Chicago. It doesn't matter if you're on a student budget or not. When you can buy the same condo in Dallas for less than half what it would cost in Chicago, pay less in taxes, and pay less overall for everything else, that makes it roughly double the cost to live in Chicago versus Dallas.

Do you really want to continue with this, seeing as how you yourself just admitted the point?


Do I have to explain this to you again? You said 56D=100C. I said no its more like 68. You say no its double. I said only housing is double. And you somehow think that proves your point?

If you are making 56K in Dallas you aren't spending nearly 56K on housing. You probably spending 15K. In Chicago a similar house would probably run 10K more per year. Even if you add 5K in other expenses over Dallas (which is huge) you get 71K.

Run the numbers on any COL estimator online. You'll get 56K in dallar= 68-75K in Chicago. Considerably more expensive but not nearly double.

This is some simple shit, that even a 164 can follow.

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:10 am

LvingLegend wrote:http://agency.governmentjobs.com/santaclara/default.cfm?action=viewclassspec&classSpecID=10250&agency=554&viewOnly=yes

Starting salary is $92,138.76 - $96,758.28 Annually


After five years the salary jumps to $156,944.16 - $195,340.92 Annually. This is the same pay rate for all attorneys (PD, Child Services, etc.) for the county.


This is also the highest in the country, fyi.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:16 am

Desert Fox wrote:Do I have to explain this to you again? You said 56D=100C. I said no its more like 68. You say no its double. I said only housing is double. And you somehow think that proves your point?

If you are making 56K in Dallas you aren't spending nearly 56K on housing. You probably spending 15K. In Chicago a similar house would probably run 10K more per year. Even if you add 5K in other expenses over Dallas (which is huge) you get 71K.

Run the numbers on any COL estimator online. You'll get 56K in dallar= 68-75K in Chicago. Considerably more expensive but not nearly double.

This is some simple shit, that even a 164 can follow.




I love it when shitheads throw around an LSAT score like an insult. That going to be an argument in court for you? "Your Honor, I am clearly wrong, but opposing counsel scored lower on the LSAT than I did, so rule for me anyway."

Apparently, it's too difficult for you to comprehend. I don't really give a shit what your online calculator says. I can find an online calculator that can prove Cooley at full sticker is a great investment.

I live in Dallas, and when I analyzed the numbers, between the extra cost of living, the extra cost of housing, and the extra taxes, it's roughly double.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:25 am

kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Do I have to explain this to you again? You said 56D=100C. I said no its more like 68. You say no its double. I said only housing is double. And you somehow think that proves your point?

If you are making 56K in Dallas you aren't spending nearly 56K on housing. You probably spending 15K. In Chicago a similar house would probably run 10K more per year. Even if you add 5K in other expenses over Dallas (which is huge) you get 71K.

Run the numbers on any COL estimator online. You'll get 56K in dallar= 68-75K in Chicago. Considerably more expensive but not nearly double.

This is some simple shit, that even a 164 can follow.




I love it when shitheads throw around an LSAT score like an insult. That going to be an argument in court for you? "Your Honor, I am clearly wrong, but opposing counsel scored lower on the LSAT than I did, so rule for me anyway."

Apparently, it's too difficult for you to comprehend. I don't really give a shit what your online calculator says. I can find an online calculator that can prove Cooley at full sticker is a great investment.

I live in Dallas, and when I analyzed the numbers, between the extra cost of living, the extra cost of housing, and the extra taxes, it's roughly double.


You apparently don't know an insult from an argument. I wasn't saying you are wrong because you only can get a 164, I'm just calling you stupid for not being able to do better.

Unless you spend every penny you have on housing it can't be double. Learn simple algerbra brah.

Hope this is educational.
Last edited by 09042014 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not really interested in arguing. I currently live in Dallas, and when I did COL analysis on schools, Chicago was roughly double that of Dallas with housing prices, taxes, etc.


If you aren't interested in arguing don't respond back. COL in Chicago is not double for average people. Housing is, but health insurance, food, car, entrainment is only slightly more expensive. One a student budget where rent is a huge component of your cost of living it might be almost double.

And its certainly double if you are talking about living near Northwestern (its in the most expensive neighborhood).




Fine. You just said the single biggest expense for most people, the cost to put a roof overhead, makes it almost double comparing Dallas to Chicago. It doesn't matter if you're on a student budget or not. When you can buy the same condo in Dallas for less than half what it would cost in Chicago, pay less in taxes, and pay less overall for everything else, that makes it roughly double the cost to live in Chicago versus Dallas.

Do you really want to continue with this, seeing as how you yourself just admitted the point?


Do I have to explain this to you again? You said 56D=100C. I said no its more like 68. You say no its double. I said only housing is double. And you somehow think that proves your point?

If you are making 56K in Dallas you aren't spending nearly 56K on housing. You probably spending 15K. In Chicago a similar house would probably run 10K more per year. Even if you add 5K in other expenses over Dallas (which is huge) you get 71K.

Run the numbers on any COL estimator online. You'll get 56K in dallar= 68-75K in Chicago. Considerably more expensive but not nearly double.

This is some simple shit, that even a 164 can follow.


lol!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:31 am

Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Do I have to explain this to you again? You said 56D=100C. I said no its more like 68. You say no its double. I said only housing is double. And you somehow think that proves your point?

If you are making 56K in Dallas you aren't spending nearly 56K on housing. You probably spending 15K. In Chicago a similar house would probably run 10K more per year. Even if you add 5K in other expenses over Dallas (which is huge) you get 71K.

Run the numbers on any COL estimator online. You'll get 56K in dallar= 68-75K in Chicago. Considerably more expensive but not nearly double.

This is some simple shit, that even a 164 can follow.




I love it when shitheads throw around an LSAT score like an insult. That going to be an argument in court for you? "Your Honor, I am clearly wrong, but opposing counsel scored lower on the LSAT than I did, so rule for me anyway."

Apparently, it's too difficult for you to comprehend. I don't really give a shit what your online calculator says. I can find an online calculator that can prove Cooley at full sticker is a great investment.

I live in Dallas, and when I analyzed the numbers, between the extra cost of living, the extra cost of housing, and the extra taxes, it's roughly double.


You apparently don't know an insult from an argument. I wasn't saying you are wrong because you only can get a 164, I'm just calling you stupid for not being able to.

Unless you spend every penny you have on housing it can't be. Learn simple arithmetic.



I'm pretty clear on the difference between an insult and an argument.

An argument is when we differ on a particular subject. An insult is when you use my LSAT score in a derogatory manner and I call you a shithead for it.




Anyway, I'm done hijacking his DA salary thread. We'll just have to agree that....well, agree on nothing.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:39 am

kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Do I have to explain this to you again? You said 56D=100C. I said no its more like 68. You say no its double. I said only housing is double. And you somehow think that proves your point?

If you are making 56K in Dallas you aren't spending nearly 56K on housing. You probably spending 15K. In Chicago a similar house would probably run 10K more per year. Even if you add 5K in other expenses over Dallas (which is huge) you get 71K.

Run the numbers on any COL estimator online. You'll get 56K in dallar= 68-75K in Chicago. Considerably more expensive but not nearly double.

This is some simple shit, that even a 164 can follow.




I love it when shitheads throw around an LSAT score like an insult. That going to be an argument in court for you? "Your Honor, I am clearly wrong, but opposing counsel scored lower on the LSAT than I did, so rule for me anyway."

Apparently, it's too difficult for you to comprehend. I don't really give a shit what your online calculator says. I can find an online calculator that can prove Cooley at full sticker is a great investment.

I live in Dallas, and when I analyzed the numbers, between the extra cost of living, the extra cost of housing, and the extra taxes, it's roughly double.


You apparently don't know an insult from an argument. I wasn't saying you are wrong because you only can get a 164, I'm just calling you stupid for not being able to.

Unless you spend every penny you have on housing it can't be. Learn simple arithmetic.



I'm pretty clear on the difference between an insult and an argument.

An argument is when we differ on a particular subject. An insult is when you use my LSAT score in a derogatory manner and I call you a shithead for it.


Simple arithmetic tells me that you're incorrect, and the fact that you keep using a figure thrown out by online COL calculators further reinforces that.


No simple arithmetic does not tell you I'm incorrect. If housing is only a X of your budget. And other expenses are Y of your budget, like fuel, groceries, utilities, car, everything else that costs the same in Chicago and Dallas . 2(X+Y) >= 2X + Y

Also you are using the wrong argument. We weren't talking about an argument as in disagreement, we were talking about argument as in "a reason given in rebuttal" to your claims.

You aren't wrong because you are stupid. But you are still stupid.

Thank god there isn't a math section on the LSAT anymore, or you'd be really fucked.

Nite Brah.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:47 am

Desert Fox wrote:No simple arithmetic does not tell you I'm incorrect. If housing is only a X of your budget. And other expenses are Y of your budget, like fuel, groceries, utilities, car, everything else that costs the same in Chicago and Dallas . 2(X+Y) >= 2X + Y

Also you are using the wrong argument. We weren't talking about an argument as in disagreement, we were talking about argument as in "a reason given in rebuttal" to your claims.

You aren't wrong because you are stupid. But you are still stupid.

Thank god there isn't a math section on the LSAT anymore, or you'd be really fucked.

Nite Brah.


"A reason given in rebuttal"? And that has what to do with you being a giant fucking douchebag and making cracks about my LSAT score? Not a goddamn thing, it's just you being a classless piece of shit.

You can sit there and argue all you want, but take some time to look at housing price in each city, like I did. And taxes in each city, like I did. And extra expenses, like I did. And when you do, you will find that you are wrong, and an idiot. But please, by all means, keep parroting what the online calculators tell you, along with some more petty insults because you know what a fucking idiot you are.


I'm not your fucking bro, brah, or anything else. And I cordially invite you to fuck yourself in the ass with a splintery broomstick.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby moandersen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:33 am

Desert Fox wrote:You can find two bed condos for 200,000 in Lincoln Park, a nice area of Chicago. If you want to slum it up much cheaper.


You must know of a different lincoln park than I do.... condos in my area (just north of lakeview) run more than that - more like in the 250 -350 range for a 2bdrm. however, im sure you can find an exception to the rule, but it would be a 2brm, 1ba 900sq ft pos that hasnt been updated in 20 years thats also on the 3rd floor (instead of say the 20th) of a high rise looking straight into someone else's condo in an adjacent building. If you want a decent 2bdrm condo in lp, it will be more along the lines of 400k. If you want lux, then even more.

sorry for derailing this thread even more, but the bad info was bothering me.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4856
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Kalvano, Douche-Fuck is correct that merely doubling the cost of housing doesn't necessarily double the cost of living. But obviously if you did the calculations based on YOUR individual living desires that would be a better gauge of your expenses than a generic formula used by an online COL estimator.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:44 pm

Borhas wrote:Kalvano, Douche-Fuck is correct that merely doubling the cost of housing doesn't necessarily double the cost of living. But obviously if you did the calculations based on YOUR individual living desires that would be a better gauge of your expenses than a generic formula used by an online COL estimator.


TBF I was only being a douce because on her second post to me (after a friendly post to me) she said "I don't want to argue, but here is something strangely resembling an argument, you are wrong DF."

The I'm not going to argue but I really am trying to cheat my way into the last word thing really fucking pisses me off.

I don't care about COL in Dallas in Chicago. I just hate idiots.

User avatar
reasonable person
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby reasonable person » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:32 pm

09042014 wrote:
Borhas wrote:Kalvano, Douche-Fuck is correct that merely doubling the cost of housing doesn't necessarily double the cost of living. But obviously if you did the calculations based on YOUR individual living desires that would be a better gauge of your expenses than a generic formula used by an online COL estimator.


TBF I was only being a douce because on her second post to me (after a friendly post to me) she said "I don't want to argue, but here is something strangely resembling an argument, you are wrong DF."

The I'm not going to argue but I really am trying to cheat my way into the last word thing really fucking pisses me off.

I don't care about COL in Dallas in Chicago. I just hate idiots.


I read through this thread and agree with you, even though you were kind of a dick. :lol:

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: District Attorney Salaries Across the US

Postby UnicornHunter » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:01 pm

reasonable person wrote:
09042014 wrote:
Borhas wrote:Kalvano, Douche-Fuck is correct that merely doubling the cost of housing doesn't necessarily double the cost of living. But obviously if you did the calculations based on YOUR individual living desires that would be a better gauge of your expenses than a generic formula used by an online COL estimator.


TBF I was only being a douce because on her second post to me (after a friendly post to me) she said "I don't want to argue, but here is something strangely resembling an argument, you are wrong DF."

The I'm not going to argue but I really am trying to cheat my way into the last word thing really fucking pisses me off.

I don't care about COL in Dallas in Chicago. I just hate idiots.


I read through this thread and agree with you, even though you were kind of a dick. :lol:


I think DF got over this 5 years ago?




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests