Villanova v. Temple for Philly work

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Temple or Villanova for Philadelphia practice?

Temple (16k tuition)
83%
Villanova (35k tuition)
17%

Total votes: 6

beach_terror

Villanova v. Temple for Philly work

Postby beach_terror » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:17 am

So, I've been admitted to Villanova and I'm currently riding the WL at Temple. For my stats (3.2/159), it's pretty surprising to have been admitted/wl'd to begin with. My aspirations are to practice in Philadelphia, and I have no desire to go anywhere else. I wrote a pretty convincing letter to accompany my Temple WL about why I should be admitted, and I'm pretty confident I'll get in after this is all over. I'm a good writer, and my PS highlights why I'm a good diversity candidate even though I'm a standard white male.

So, assuming I get into both, would it be foolish to pick Villanova over Temple, because of the significant (almost 20k) tuition difference since I'm in state? I feel like Villanova has a "better" name if I want to move around some (maybe NY/NJ), but since I don't the point is pretty much moot, right?

I'd love to hear some opinions. I'm honestly okay with taking on some debt, because I can commute from home to both if need be. I'm mainly interested in job opportunities. I want to either do environmental work in the city or PI work as of now. I'm sure this might change at some point, but who knows. BigLaw is not something I'm anticipating, although if busting my ass and getting that to be an option happens, I'd certainly take it.

I'd love to hear opinions! Pretty much as of now, I think the best choice is Temple by a long shot because of the city location and low tuition.

EDIT: Totally forgot to add that since I got WL'd for the day division, wouldn't I have a good shot at PT? I'd take PT for the first year without too much of a quip.
Last edited by beach_terror on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSATfromNC

Re: Villanova v. Temple for Philly work

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:21 am

Retaking the LSAT in June got me an offer off the Temple WL last year. If you truely want to attend you may want to consider doing the same. If you do get into Temple you would be wise to take it due to cost. These two schools are peers. You would be smart to take the cheapest option. I would be hesitant to pay sticker at Villanova, which is why I withdrew my acceptance from there last year before I even retook the LSAT.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:28 am

Temple and it's not close.

(due to cost, obviously)

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 am

LSATfromNC wrote:Retaking the LSAT in June got me an offer off the Temple WL last year. If you truely want to attend you may want to consider doing the same.

What score got you waitlisted, and what score got you off? Also, are you in-state? Your name indicates you aren't, wonder how that factors in.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 am

Waitlisted 159, from WL with 165, OOS.

Return to “Law School FAQ”