Ignore Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
risktaker

Silver

Ignore

Post by risktaker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:37 am

d
Last edited by risktaker on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Re: Patent law or sports law?

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:42 am

/
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:45 am

This is not a flame. Please give me serious responses.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:50 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ravens20

Bronze

Post by ravens20 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:53 am

Several people have made posts asking what it would take to become a sports agent and the consensus is pretty much that it takes connections. Of course sports agent does not equal sports law as a broader field, and I can't say I really know what exactly that field entails. If its working on labor deals or contact obligations for professional sports leagues, I imagine that would be really hard to break in to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:13 am

with your low-ish gpa, you should focus on patent law in my opinion, and build out whatever profile is necessary. patent law has the best job prospects of all the legal fields.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:21 am

ravens20 wrote:Several people have made posts asking what it would take to become a sports agent and the consensus is pretty much that it takes connections. Of course sports agent does not equal sports law as a broader field, and I can't say I really know what exactly that field entails. If its working on labor deals or contact obligations for professional sports leagues, I imagine that would be really hard to break in to.
100% about connections to work as a sports agent.

The thing about that particular field is there is very little turnover. The people doing their jobs love their jobs so they don't leave (as opposed to high turnover in big law). If you can get your foot in the door, you're in great shape. But getting your foot in the door will be much tougher, especially depending on the name of the school on your UG and law degree. Lay prestige is often a huge factor to just get people on the phone.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks for the honest replies. Yeah, I was leaning towards patent law. I figured turnover rate would be bad for sports agents. I'll try to talk to more patent attorneys and see what they have to say about how I can improve my prospects of landing a job.

scooter629

New

Post by scooter629 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:46 am

You also need to think about if you have a 3.2 in Bio-chem that is good but from what you said that was from both majors. From what I have heard science grades are important. Sports law can be fun or a pain. It depends on the athletes you represent. Someone I know has a brother who was going to do that and he ended up with some whiny babies who complained about the most stupid things. I would suggest IP because I think there are more things you can do than you realize. I am also looking into it

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:45 am

While it may be true that a grad degree in the life sciences is best for patent law, I wouldn't dismiss your bachelor's degree. It sounds as though you're beating yourself up a bit because of your GPA. Biochem isn't a walk in the park. Employers know this. If you want to be more competitive, pass the patent bar before applying for jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”