Most BS, useless, waste of time undergrad classes you took

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
awl05d

Re: Most BS, useless, waste of time undergrad classes you took

Postby awl05d » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 am

let's see... courses I took.... Bowling, Golf, Modern Polit. Thought and Contemp. Polit Thought (3000 level courses, same teacher... open book open note tests), Liberal Arts Math (we made venn diagrams and did areas and truth tables), Meteorology (even the FSU football team managed that one with me), some music history course (oddly, FSU athletes couldnt handle this one and well shit got crazy)

other classes... Rest and Relaxation, Stretching, Modern Popular Music,

eandy

Postby eandy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:48 am

Cupidity wrote:I am a former professional shakespearian actor, and in high school I wond 2 or 3 speech competitions at the state level.... I had to take COM:101, a basic speech giving class.

I feel your pain. I did speech and debate in high school. I went to college and had to take Public Speaking. To make it even more worthless, the professor had judged me at speech tournaments multiple times and just told me to reuse those speeches. So waste of time.

sapp

Postby sapp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Olympic Rowing
+
Native American Studies.

NAS would’ve been interesting, but the instructor was kind of crazy. He spent most of the time talking about piercings and body mutilation and “herb treatments.” Formula for A+ in this class = writing something about “the white man” keeping “the red man” down.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:31 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Introduction to Old Testament. We were suppose to meet MWF for 1 1/2 hours, we only met on Wed for 30 minutes. Just enough time for him to go over the 10 question multiple choice take home quiz, and for him to pass out the take home quiz for next week :)

Snap. My New Testament, theology, and early church history classes were some of the hardest I took in college (and they were 'honors' so we had more crap to do than the 'regular' class I guess).

My most useless classes were German cinema, and the Simpsons. My tennis class was awesome. santa barbara weather ftw!

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Because i tripled major most of my classes were pretty serious but freshmen year I took Econonic History of the US, sociology and global studies those were pretty useless. The global studies class was by far the worst it was a freshmen req where each class was a different country and we had to represent them in a fair, I was brazil haha pointless.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:38 pm

umichgrad wrote:"Dinosaurs and Other Failures".

also, Anthro 101, where we decided people are different b/c some got left on ice bridges when pangea exploded.

The dinosaurs had a good run, though.

knola002

Postby knola002 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:39 pm

CS6: Introduction to the World Wide Web.

JIP3

Postby JIP3 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:42 pm

SPEECH.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:43 pm

The most useless class I ever took was "intro to American government."

I wanted to take a class about the structure and function of the U.S. government. That's not what I got. The class should have instead been titled "crazy and bitter old libertarian rants about the NY Times, argues with his students, and makes inane jokes about Bill Clinton."

Although my intro to French was pretty bad too. The teacher spent all class period trying to get in the pants of one of the more buxom of his students. It was obscene. We watched a lot of steamy french movies, during which he would sit next to said student and make vaguely suggestive comments. What a creep.

The most useful class I took was a comparative cultural geography class. Seriously. Geography is probably the most underrated university subject.
Last edited by notanumber on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:46 pm

I took a few silly classes in college but probably the most useless I took was Baseball Statistics. I typically enjoy applied mathematics courses and the class was fun but it didn't really improve my understanding of statistics or baseball.

twert

Postby twert » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:38 pm

scooter629 wrote:I wanna know where to forestry one went to school

Humboldt

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:47 pm

I had to take English 1 because my high school didn't offer AP English. It was easily the most useless class ever. Thankfully, I got the A needed to avoid having to take English 2 as well.

I suppose taking Arabic for three semesters also ended up useless, but I enjoyed myself.

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:09 pm

BenJ wrote:I had to take English 1 because my high school didn't offer AP English. It was easily the most useless class ever. Thankfully, I got the A needed to avoid having to take English 2 as well.

I suppose taking Arabic for three semesters also ended up useless, but I enjoyed myself.

I took both ap englishs in highschool when I got to college I had eight English credits which excused me from English one but they wouldn't let me be excused from English two because it was a linked class with global studies. I was in a class with kids who thought it was ok to cite wikipedia, and who could barely put a paragraph together. Apparently catholic schools produce better writters, I couldn't believe how unequipped these kids were. People were actually struggling to pass English! For Christ sakes it's their native language.

sarcasmpolice

Postby sarcasmpolice » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Irrationality and Transcendence

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:17 pm

[quote=
Although my intro to French was pretty bad too. The teacher spent all class period trying to get in the pants of one of the more buxom of his students. It was obscene. We watched a lot of steamy french movies, during which he would sit next to said student and make vaguely suggestive comments. What a creep. quote]

My "Intro to Speech" teacher was a creep too. One girl gave a speech about tattoos/body art, and during the speech she showed the tattoo on her ankle, and mentioned that she had one on her back. After the speech, he said, "Well, aren't you going to show us that one, too?" When she said no, he said to me (who had nothing to do with the speech at all), "How about you, Tuski? Do you have any tattoos?"

When he evaluated my final speech, he wrote as a "critique" something along the lines of: "You need to look at your audience more! With gorgeous green eyes like that, you should really use them to your advantage." :shock:

Edited to add: That was the creepiest class I ever took. Most useless was probably "Intro to Marxism." It was an evening class which met once a week, supposedly for three hours but the longest we ever stayed was 1 hour. We spent 4 weeks of that semester studying A Christmas Carol (two film versions and the book) and discussing how it symbolized capitalism and whether or not it was a coincidence that both that and The Communist Manifesto were published in 1848. Then, after four weeks of discussion, we wrote a 2-page paper on it, in which you basically got an "A" by saying that it was definitely not a coincidence. There were also a lot of projects that involved construction paper & glue, like the time we made Christmas ornaments with the faces of dead historical figures on them that were tenuously related to Marxism.
Last edited by Tuski on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:24 pm

The entire X major where X is substantially all classes outside of biology, engineering, mathematics, and computer science.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:34 pm

I was going to say "Intro to Jogging," but then I remembered that class was the only exercise I got freshman year. In retrospect I should've put more effort into it.

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Aeroplane wrote:I was going to say "Intro to Jogging," but then I remembered that class was the only exercise I got freshman year. In retrospect I should've put more effort into it.

Bar hopping is an exercise thus the hopping. Also there is plenty of exercise in doing a keg stand.

r973

Postby r973 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Unfortunately, my college only offers a general theatre major that doesn't allow you to specialize. As such, and actor like myself was forced to take Basic Stagecraft and Scenery and Lighting, neither of which I have a single iota of interest in. Not only that, but we used outdated drafting tecniques that nobody uses in the real world to do our design assignments. So not only was I learning about an aspect of theatre I didn't give a shit about, I had to learn obselete and rediculously tedious tecniques which were replaced by computers decades ago. And I'm taking them my senior year. I call bullshit.

What were your guys's most horseshit classes?

Wait, can we back it up? You majored in theatre and now you want to go to law school? I don't mean to be offensive or rude but that just sounds a little odd to me. Go for it if thats your ambition, but I think you will have an uphill application battle ahead of you.

sra_sundance

Postby sra_sundance » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:41 pm

quantum mechanics. blech.

Jaded

Postby Jaded » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Fencing in community college. I got a C because I missed a couple classes. I signed up because I wanted to use the sabre. Apparently, mine was the only class the teacher didn't get around to it.

booboo

Postby booboo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Intro to Chemistry, first semester. Slept everyday in class. Finished recitation work in half the period and then listened to my iPod. Showed the same HW from the first assignment of the semester throughout. Friend begged me to take the class with him (I wanted to drop it at the deadline), ended up getting an A, when he got the A-.

College, ah...

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:32 pm

1. Latin American Politics. Basically talking about how hispanic people CAN succeed in America. The entire class was a circle jerk of the hispanic students/the professor talking about how hard life is and how great they are at everything and how amazing their culture is. In Chicago where I am from I could maybe see their point- but I went to UofA in Tucson, Arizona...where the huge majority of the population is hispanic..so...

2. A gen-ed class about the weather, broken down to the smallest of details-like molecules that make up raindrops. I just could not get into it. More power to those that can.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:01 pm

I think MiamiU-OH used to have a "Broomball" class my friend was telling me about. I can't imagine how intellectually stimulating that must have been.

Rednorthstar

Postby Rednorthstar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Aside from a few excos (1-credit student taught courses) I'd probably have to go with history of architecture. I had to drop out halfway through the semster because I couldn't understand a word of what the professor was saying. As far as pure content goes, I'd have to go with my last anthropology course. Killed my love for my major and pretty much rehashed half of my social science courses. If I ever hear the name Michael Foucault again I'm going to get violent. On the plus side neither course was at my alma mater...

Return to “Law School FAQ”