Most BS, useless, waste of time undergrad classes you took

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Carlo Von Sexron

Re: Most BS, useless, waste of time undergrad classes you took

Postby Carlo Von Sexron » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:59 pm

For a while, my major was communications.

Robbin Blue

Postby Robbin Blue » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:08 pm

My undergrad is well known as being a complete hippy-dippy kind of place, so it's tough to name one class that was the most useless. My favorite pointless classes were probably:

Science Fiction and Politics
History of U.S. Feminist Rhetoric
Analysis of the Harry Potter Universe (Not proud of having that on my transcript.)

And about ten credit hours of racquetball, yoga, and golf.

FluffMonster

Postby FluffMonster » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:56 am

Robbin Blue wrote:My undergrad is well known as being a complete hippy-dippy kind of place, so it's tough to name one class that was the most useless. My favorite pointless classes were probably:

Analysis of the Harry Potter Universe (Not proud of having that on my transcript.)

How could you not be proud to have that on your resume??

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:28 am

Robbin Blue wrote:My undergrad is well known as being a complete hippy-dippy kind of place, so it's tough to name one class that was the most useless. My favorite pointless classes were probably:

What was that science fiction and politics class like? Did you look at the fiction from the perspective of what political philosophies it was addressing or something?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:34 pm

midwest17 wrote:
scoobers wrote:
Otunga wrote:
HYSenberg wrote:Regarding Women's Studies, can it be assumed that any guy who majors in that is gay? I imagine that would be a terrible way to meet women if you were straight (unless you have a thing for feminist activists?).

I don't see why one has to assume that. As a philosophy major, I nearly took a philosophy of gender class, and while there were clearly feminist types and perhaps gay guys in there, there were some other 'heteronormative' guys in there that I noticed from my other philosophy classes. In other words, I'm not all that interested in the activism - just the theory. (I elected to get out of that class because I didn't like the grading system.) Maybe someone who majors in it is more likely to be gay than not. I don't know. We often are interested in things at least partly because they have a personal effect on us.

i like you.

i've done a lot of gender theory reading on my own, in addition to just like, plain philosophy. i find the gender theory stuff WAY more intellectually rigorous.

that being said: my thesis class. 5 credits to sit there and do nothing until someone asks "hey, do you have an advisor yet?" and i'm like................oops.

What gender theory would you recommend? I've found most of it that I've read relatively unsatisfactory.

I always forget where I post :oops: late but whatever.

the second sex by de bouviourliterally changed my life and how I view the world. make sure you read the most recent translation (linked there). I'm reading the female eunuch and sexual politics right now, but they aren't measuring up to bouviour :(. so far they are good though and i recommend them.

I also highly recommend Tina fey's book and Delusions of gender. I also read just about every gender-related article that comes out of the Atlantic. For less theory-driven books i recommend The End of Men and Red Families v. Blue Families.

back to the topic: thesis class still sucks, i turned in a proposal where I literally made up math. and not in the "I just discovered calculus" math but the "yeah I don't understand this so I'm just going to put down a lot of integrals and trust that the person grading this is a macroeconomist and won't read it."

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:20 pm

scoobers wrote:I always forget where I post :oops: late but whatever.

the second sex by de bouviourliterally changed my life and how I view the world. make sure you read the most recent translation (linked there). I'm reading the female eunuch and sexual politics right now, but they aren't measuring up to bouviour :(. so far they are good though and i recommend them.

I also highly recommend Tina fey's book and Delusions of gender. I also read just about every gender-related article that comes out of the Atlantic. For less theory-driven books i recommend The End of Men and Red Families v. Blue Families.

back to the topic: thesis class still sucks, i turned in a proposal where I literally made up math. and not in the "I just discovered calculus" math but the "yeah I don't understand this so I'm just going to put down a lot of integrals and trust that the person grading this is a macroeconomist and won't read it."

Thanks. :) I've read delusions of gender and enjoyed it. I'll check out the second sex.

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:01 am

Avatar and International Relations.
I didn't take it, but boy, did I want to.

inlovewithpiper

Postby inlovewithpiper » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:45 am

Wow. My undergrad school is severely lacking in fun classes when compared with all of yours.

The most waste of time class we have is Wine Tasting, which is sad because it has all the makings of a perfect class, but they force you to spit out the wine after the tasting part. What the f**k is the point, then?

Robbin Blue

Postby Robbin Blue » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Otunga wrote:What was that science fiction and politics class like? Did you look at the fiction from the perspective of what political philosophies it was addressing or something?

It was kind of like a book club, to be honest. It was only offered for senior-level political science majors, so the teacher just ate his lunch and we would discuss the books and what political messages were being conveyed, kind of. It was pretty fun, since everyone had a drastically different political ideology.

Robbin Blue

Postby Robbin Blue » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:25 pm

inlovewithpiper wrote:Wow. My undergrad school is severely lacking in fun classes when compared with all of yours.

The most waste of time class we have is Wine Tasting, which is sad because it has all the makings of a perfect class, but they force you to spit out the wine after the tasting part. What the f**k is the point, then?

Oh! We had a Beer Tasting class, but I didn't take it. Your university sounds classier than mine. :lol:

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:34 pm

My conservatory instituted a Sophomore Jury to test whether students were competent in theory and ear training. It was P/F and went on your transcript; failing could result in being kicked out of the program.

Somehow our profs couldn't get it together. We were all registered for the course though, so they just passed everyone.

McCosh

Postby McCosh » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:14 am

Geology
Physics of Superheroes
Art History

Two could be practical, but I basically learned there are no physics in comic books. Waste of time, and even with the A, it looked bad on the transcript.

Return to “Law School FAQ”