Most BS, useless, waste of time undergrad classes you took

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
FluffMonster

Re: Most BS, useless, waste of time undergrad classes you took

Postby FluffMonster » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Just a class about four different possibilities for global apocalypse. Nbd.

paintbynumbers

Postby paintbynumbers » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Canadian history..........they dont have one. Final was memorizing 50 members of assembly in the 1800s, province they were from, party from and country of origin.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:31 pm

Jules239 wrote:Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

That sounds fucking awesome.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Marxist Theory.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:42 pm

I got math credit for "Baseball Statistics."

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:27 pm

I hate to be blunt about it but the majority of my undergrad courses felt like a waste.
When I was handed my degree at the end of my four years I almost had to laugh at how expensive and meaningless that piece of paper was. I'm still the same exact person I was 4 years ago, just that I read a lot more books and expanded my general knowledge of things.

The best things I got from my undergrad experience were the things outside the classrooms.

Meeting new people, creating relationships, getting to know helpful professors who you realize are much more interesting and relatable outside of classes. The study abroad experience I had, the internship opportunity a professor helped me secure... all things that helped develop me as a person. The things I learned in my classes... sure, some of it was interesting. I definitely learned a lot, but I realize once you leave school there isn't a whole lot of times you ever use that information.

My most useful classes, though, were my foreign language courses. Those were a huge bonus to me and obviously are extremely practical beyond school.

pcthenls

Postby pcthenls » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Strangely my most "useless" really have become my most useful.

Rock and Roll History and Mindful Living. I actually apply things learned in those classes all the time and am able to talk my parent's generation (and my bosses') and understand sooo many music and cultural allusions.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Every single class that didn't include math.

uieLouAy

Postby uieLouAy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Self Growth.

We meditated at the beginning of every class and had to keep a journal.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:07 pm

A lot of these classes are probably a result of a professor with a chip on his shoulder, but the worst classes (along with a brief summary of what was taught) that I've taken were:

1. American Indian Studies - learn about how you're racist if you're not an American Indian.
2. Sociology - communism, the Soviet Union was on to something good (except that little genocide thing).
3. Women's Studies - my vagina is better than your penis, which by the way, you're terrible if you have a penis.

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:48 am

Almost every psychology class I ever took (Psychology was my second major)

ESPECIALLY:

- Any research and methods class
- Any 'perception' class
- Most Neuropsych classes

Other than that, Stress Management was HIGHLY STRESSFUL. Had 3 exams, one paper, one presentation, 3 extensive assignments a week and a professor that didn't understand that having to study 2 entire textbooks for a stress management exam during a busy finals week was extremely ironic.

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:59 am

Tyr wrote:3. Women's Studies - my vagina is better than your penis, which by the way, you're terrible if you have a penis.

Urgh. Don't even get me started on Women's Studies. Took the class which had the usual unkempt girls and one guy (a friend of mine who I had talked into taking the class with me)

I struggled to get an A-, the guy flew through the class with As on every assignment. He received a fucking standing ovation during our end of the year presentation, and I know for a fact that he hadn't even read the book he was talking about. The professor thanked him personally during the last class for being so 'progressive'

We pulled an all-nighter to write a paper for that class together once, we peer reviewed extensively and I thought my paper was as good as, if not better than his. When we got them back I got a B+ and he obviously got an A. I looked through my paper where the professor had underlined certain points and corrected them, like normal.
Then I took a look at his, she hadn't underlined a single fucking thing. She put giant check marks besides each of his paragraphs, with the occasional comment (Good point! Interesting!)

That was the day I stopped being a feminist.

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:35 pm

History of African Dance. Thanks, liberals, for requiring ridiculous "diversity" credits.

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Regarding Women's Studies, can it be assumed that any guy who majors in that is gay? I imagine that would be a terrible way to meet women if you were straight (unless you have a thing for feminist activists?).

jts723

Postby jts723 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:31 pm

Extreme Weather, African Cinema

redsox

Postby redsox » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Macroeconomic analysis.

SPE1901

Postby SPE1901 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:33 am

Jules239 wrote:Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Glad to see another FGCU Eagle on the forums :)

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:38 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:01 am

ITT: People compete over the rigor of their easiest class in undergrad.

garrettnicole92

Postby garrettnicole92 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:30 pm

"History of Sports" - lots of homoerotic things going on in this class for some reason, and we watched a lot of movies.
Although the fact that the professor was practically Indiana Jones and brought us Starbucks every day was kind of a plus.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:20 pm

HYSenberg wrote:Regarding Women's Studies, can it be assumed that any guy who majors in that is gay? I imagine that would be a terrible way to meet women if you were straight (unless you have a thing for feminist activists?).

I don't see why one has to assume that. As a philosophy major, I nearly took a philosophy of gender class, and while there were clearly feminist types and perhaps gay guys in there, there were some other 'heteronormative' guys in there that I noticed from my other philosophy classes. In other words, I'm not all that interested in the activism - just the theory. (I elected to get out of that class because I didn't like the grading system.) Maybe someone who majors in it is more likely to be gay than not. I don't know. We often are interested in things at least partly because they have a personal effect on us.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Otunga wrote:
HYSenberg wrote:Regarding Women's Studies, can it be assumed that any guy who majors in that is gay? I imagine that would be a terrible way to meet women if you were straight (unless you have a thing for feminist activists?).

I don't see why one has to assume that. As a philosophy major, I nearly took a philosophy of gender class, and while there were clearly feminist types and perhaps gay guys in there, there were some other 'heteronormative' guys in there that I noticed from my other philosophy classes. In other words, I'm not all that interested in the activism - just the theory. (I elected to get out of that class because I didn't like the grading system.) Maybe someone who majors in it is more likely to be gay than not. I don't know. We often are interested in things at least partly because they have a personal effect on us.

i like you.

i've done a lot of gender theory reading on my own, in addition to just like, plain philosophy. i find the gender theory stuff WAY more intellectually rigorous.

that being said: my thesis class. 5 credits to sit there and do nothing until someone asks "hey, do you have an advisor yet?" and i'm like................oops.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:38 pm

scoobers wrote:
Otunga wrote:

i like you.

i've done a lot of gender theory reading on my own, in addition to just like, plain philosophy. i find the gender theory stuff WAY more intellectually rigorous.

that being said: my thesis class. 5 credits to sit there and do nothing until someone asks "hey, do you have an advisor yet?" and i'm like................oops.

What gender theory would you recommend? I've found most of it that I've read relatively unsatisfactory.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:40 pm

scoobers wrote:
Otunga wrote:

i like you.

I can't speak to gender philosophy much, but philosophy of math was more rigorous than anything else I did in philosophy.

ShrimpToastMasters

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:54 pm

1) bad taste - on kitsch and east german culture
2) science fiction and philosophy - enough said

Return to “Law School FAQ”