Law that is corporate in nature

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Law that is corporate in nature

Postby Doritos » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Ok, so there's lots of talk about Biglaw which is basically corporate law. I understand the compensation is quite respectable which would lead me to believe that's why a lot of people want to do it. But why else? Is there any other reason you (or people you know) want to get into corporate law other than the bread?

Re: Law that is corporate in nature

Postby ughOSU » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:11 pm

You have more exit options. If you're doing personal injury litigation, for example, it will be tough to transition into anything but litigation. It doesn't give you any other marketable skills. With corporate law you can transition into the business side of things as well as botique firms.

The credibility you earn by working in a prestigious law firm can help future job prospects as well.

Postby eudaimondaimon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:21 pm

ughOSU wrote:You have more exit options.

This. Also the challenge.

Postby dibs » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

i want to practice corporate law, as it were, because i'm already engaged in it. i work in supply management for an oil and gas company and i deal with contracts all the time. i'd rather be the legal counsel than the contract admin, regardless of how deep my involvement goes at the current time.

Return to “Law School FAQ”