Deposit Deadlines Coming Up, But Still Waiting... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
traehekat

Gold

Deposit Deadlines Coming Up, But Still Waiting...

Post by traehekat » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:09 am

This may be a dumb question (meaning I feel there is an obvious answer I am either overlooking or have already come to), but what happens when the first deposit deadline rolls around for schools you have been accepted to, but you are still waiting to hear back from other schools which you would be interested in attending?

Is the answer as simple as you either pay the deposit at one or more schools and continue to wait to hear back from others on a decision (potentially being out a few hundred dollars), or you don't pay a deposit and just hope you are accepted to wherever you are still waiting on? Do most schools try to avoid this from happening by being aware of other schools' deposit deadlines (from what I can tell, most seem to be April 1 or April 15) and issuing out decisions before then?

Just curious, thanks.

TTTennis

Bronze

Re: Deposit Deadlines Coming Up, But Still Waiting...

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:11 am

traehekat wrote:This may be a dumb question (meaning I feel there is an obvious answer I am either overlooking or have already come to), but what happens when the first deposit deadline rolls around for schools you have been accepted to, but you are still waiting to hear back from other schools which you would be interested in attending?

Is the answer as simple as you either pay the deposit at one or more schools and continue to wait to hear back from others on a decision (potentially being out a few hundred dollars), or you don't pay a deposit and just hope you are accepted to wherever you are still waiting on? Do most schools try to avoid this from happening by being aware of other schools' deposit deadlines (from what I can tell, most seem to be April 1 or April 15) and issuing out decisions before then?

Just curious, thanks.
I'm guessing TITCR. I highly doubt schools take deposit deadlines into consideration, but they might.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:13 am

As I understand it, you make a deposit at the current front-runner of the schools you've been accepted too, and then wait to hear from the others. If you get into one of the ones you're waiting on, you're out the deposit, although it varies by school, some will give a partial refund. Technically by LSAC rules schools aren't supposed to mind if you put down multiple deposits, but in practice some schools do, so be aware what if your school is one of the ones that gets upset by it if you don't plan on withdrawing from one school immediately for the other.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:52 am

Just pick one school that you plan to attend, assuming you don't get off any waitlists. Then if you get the WL acceptance, you're out the deposit at one school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”