Justice Administration Degree. Corporate Law? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jeremydc

Bronze

Justice Administration Degree. Corporate Law?

Post by jeremydc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Is it possible to go to law school to become a corporate lawyer if you have a Justice Ad/Criminal Justice degree?

It seems that only people with Business degrees are becoming corporate lawyers. Hopefully I can be able to become one.

SOCRATiC

Bronze

Re: Justice Administration Degree. Corporate Law?

Post by SOCRATiC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:22 pm

jeremydc wrote:Is it possible to go to law school to become a corporate lawyer if you have a Justice Ad/Criminal Justice degree?

It seems that only people with Business degrees are becoming corporate lawyers. Hopefully I can be able to become one.
What exactly is your idea of "corporate lawyer"?

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 pm

I was just browsing around. I don't know a definite answer but I am assuming its someone who deals with different aspects of a corporation.

LvingLegend

New

Post by LvingLegend » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:27 pm

I know someone that works for Google that started with a crim just degree. its possible

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Yes, no background in business is need

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SOCRATiC

Bronze

Post by SOCRATiC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:06 pm

jeremydc wrote:I was just browsing around. I don't know a definite answer but I am assuming its someone who deals with different aspects of a corporation.
It's very important to dump any preconceived notions about how various areas of practice differ (i.e. entertainment law, corporate law, international law, etc.), because, in the end, they're ALL related. For instance, if you work in the entertainment industry, you'll still be conducting legal research and drafting documents that are similar in nature to a lot of other fields of law. What matters most is that you're good at practicing the law, and whatever adjective that comes in front of the type of law that you practice just happens to be because you're in working in that industry (well there are a lot of exceptions to this, I suppose, such as tax law, since "tax" isn't an industry. But even tax can be divided into real estate, "corporate", etc.).

Your background won't keep you from working as a corporate lawyer insofar as lawyers are doing different types of work that are essentially the same. You go to law school in order to think like a lawyer, and once you gain exposure to the nature of laws that govern corporate practices, you'll know how to apply them.

EDIT:

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Thank you, you just put my question into perspective.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:40 pm

I will be doing transactional work in a large NY firm with a philosophy undergrad. Business background not required at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”