Why is law school so expensive? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
scionb4

Silver

Re: Why is law school so expensive?

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:45 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Because they know how many people will apply regardless of cost. They know that any given year well over twice as many people will apply than will be admitted, and then that number will be cut down significantly as well. If Pizza Hut knew that there were going to be 5 people fighting over every pizza they make, they would charge a shitload for pizza.
Yes well in a (supposed) free market, another pizza joint would notice this dynamic and create a better pizza with better ingredients, Pappa Johns. (send me the royalty check @ vtoodler's mom's house, thx) But seriously, I was going to add that they'd sell it for a lower price. Pizza hut might then attempt to justify it's higher price/profit margin by buying it's place in some manipulated ranking publication like US News and World Pizza Report. Yale, I mean, Pizza Hut would eventually be found out as imposters trying to sell inferior pizza at an inflated price through the guise of inflated rankings; an educated public would then start pouring into the equal-if-not-better quality pizza joints out there which charge far less. Alas, this doesn't take into account the seductive variable of "prestige." Academia is not a rational market and it certainly doesn't follow free-market laws. Much in the same way my wife tries to explain the value of $500 women's shoes when all I see is $5 dollars of raw material and the manufactured illusion of "status" and so forth, schools sell the public the same illusion, and much like market dynamics.... reality doesn't matter as much as how compelling the illusion is. Perception becomes reality. Give me $200k - maybe you'll have a job offer afterwards, or maybe you just ate some shitty pizza.
Yale = New York Style Pizza (revered though ultimately inferior to Chicago Deepdish)

Stanford = Chicago Deep Dish at its finest (best around, can't do better if "prestige" wasn't a factor)

Indiana = Stuffed Crust Pizza craze (popped up, got a lot of recognition, then people realized it wasn't all THAT great, and it went back to its place)

Case Western Reserve University = Hidden gem pizza place like The Pizza Cellar in Rock Island, MO (No one's heard of it, but it tastes great and has a huge payoff . . . that's just gross when talking about pizza)

Florida/Florida State/Arizona/Arizona State/other similarly ranked state schools = Pizza Hut pizza. It tastes good and gets the job done. Perfect for our pragmatic society.

Michigan State University = Dominoes (It changed its ingredients, but it still kinda tastes the same - there's something funny about it, but it is still pizza)

Stetson University = Casey's Pizza (Why does this gas station pizza actually taste really good - it makes no sense, but I like it!)

Cooley/Valpo/etc. = Lunchables Brand Pizza (Doesn't even really qualify as pizza, impossible to actually enjoy)

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 pm

scionb4 wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Because they know how many people will apply regardless of cost. They know that any given year well over twice as many people will apply than will be admitted, and then that number will be cut down significantly as well. If Pizza Hut knew that there were going to be 5 people fighting over every pizza they make, they would charge a shitload for pizza.
Yes well in a (supposed) free market, another pizza joint would notice this dynamic and create a better pizza with better ingredients, Pappa Johns. (send me the royalty check @ vtoodler's mom's house, thx) But seriously, I was going to add that they'd sell it for a lower price. Pizza hut might then attempt to justify it's higher price/profit margin by buying it's place in some manipulated ranking publication like US News and World Pizza Report. Yale, I mean, Pizza Hut would eventually be found out as imposters trying to sell inferior pizza at an inflated price through the guise of inflated rankings; an educated public would then start pouring into the equal-if-not-better quality pizza joints out there which charge far less. Alas, this doesn't take into account the seductive variable of "prestige." Academia is not a rational market and it certainly doesn't follow free-market laws. Much in the same way my wife tries to explain the value of $500 women's shoes when all I see is $5 dollars of raw material and the manufactured illusion of "status" and so forth, schools sell the public the same illusion, and much like market dynamics.... reality doesn't matter as much as how compelling the illusion is. Perception becomes reality. Give me $200k - maybe you'll have a job offer afterwards, or maybe you just ate some shitty pizza.
Yale = New York Style Pizza (revered though ultimately inferior to Chicago Deepdish)

Stanford = Chicago Deep Dish at its finest (best around, can't do better if "prestige" wasn't a factor)

Indiana = Stuffed Crust Pizza craze (popped up, got a lot of recognition, then people realized it wasn't all THAT great, and it went back to its place)

Case Western Reserve University = Hidden gem pizza place like The Pizza Cellar in Rock Island, MO (No one's heard of it, but it tastes great and has a huge payoff . . . that's just gross when talking about pizza)

Florida/Florida State/Arizona/Arizona State/other similarly ranked state schools = Pizza Hut pizza. It tastes good and gets the job done. Perfect for our pragmatic society.

Michigan State University = Dominoes (It changed its ingredients, but it still kinda tastes the same - there's something funny about it, but it is still pizza)

Stetson University = Casey's Pizza (Why does this gas station pizza actually taste really good - it makes no sense, but I like it!)

Cooley/Valpo/etc. = Lunchables Brand Pizza (Doesn't even really qualify as pizza, impossible to actually enjoy)
No way dude, Valpo has to be like Casey's Pizza.... not fair to lump it into the Cooley Lunchables category. Aside from that, I see what you're saying, not that I agree completely, but there's some pizza metaphor merit here. In fact, I'll be flamed for this, but I might think Valpo tastes (or at least smells) a lot like Pizza Hut.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:05 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:

No way dude, Valpo has to be like Casey's Pizza.... not fair to lump it into the Cooley Lunchables category. Aside from that, I see what you're saying, not that I agree completely, but there's some pizza metaphor merit here. In fact, I'll be flamed for this, but I might think Valpo tastes (or at least smells) a lot like Pizza Hut.
I go to Valpo undergrad. None of my pre-law friends want to stay here - and I mean NONE. It ain't Pizza Hut.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Poster above had it correct - schools like the uc's planned tuition raises before the BE, for the sake of rankings. Schools charge this because they can - as said above, thanks to loans.

Don't worry, its a bubble that will pop right after you graduate, with students seeing big loans aren't wise. So be proud to be a part of the last group that will get to borrow 200k - at least you can tease the next gen about their whimpy little loans...

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:54 pm

dont bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sophia.olive

Silver

dont bump

sophia.olive

Silver

dont bump

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:55 pm

sophia.olive wrote:dont bump
What is it that we're not supposed to do? I forgot.

vtoodler

Bronze

Post by vtoodler » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:08 am

Can anyone say "state schools?"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:13 am

If Ron Paul were president, law school would likely be substantially cheaper than it is now. Take from that what you will.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”