Is this ok for a diversity statement topic?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
monkeyhead817

Is this ok for a diversity statement topic?

Postby monkeyhead817 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:07 pm

I'm a white male, but I'm going to Africa this summer as part of a self-organized three month charity trip, raising soccer balls and school supplies for distribution. Is this a suitable topic for a diversity statement?

queenofhearts

Re: Is this ok for a diversity statement topic?

Postby queenofhearts » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:10 pm

monkeyhead817 wrote:I'm a white male, but I'm going to Africa this summer as part of a self-organized three month charity trip, raising soccer balls and school supplies for distribution. Is this a suitable topic for a diversity statement?

Sure, depending on how you write it... but are you applying for next year? I wouldn't write about it for this year if you haven't gone yet.

monkeyhead817

Postby monkeyhead817 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:12 pm

Yeah I'm not applying until next year so it's still up in the air about how I'd write it. I just want to make sure the adcomms wouldn't frown on it.

queenofhearts

Postby queenofhearts » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:21 pm

I mean of course adcomms want a diverse class in terms of race, sexual orientation, etc., but i think that with some of the applications, it's an opportunity to show how you would fit into their goal of creating a class with a diverse set of opinions and experiences. (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)

Return to “Law School FAQ”