What are all the 0l's doing the summer before 1L?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
akili

Re: What are all the 0l's doing the summer before 1L?

Postby akili » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:15 am

Hopefully being a camp counselor in CA. Or I might just bum around and babysit/nanny.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:49 am

I'm going to Vegas.

Also, my girlfriend and I will be apartment hunting.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:31 pm

OGR3 wrote:I'm going to Vegas.

Be careful buddy. You don't wanna be financially screwed BEFORE you even start law school.

adora

Postby adora » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:35 pm

Going to Spain next month, then drinking lots of beer until August.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:37 pm

I'm also going to study up for 1L, read "Surviving Law School" books, learn about good study habits for law school, whatever can help me out. And I'll play fucktons of videogames.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:56 pm

parker09 wrote:currently debating between taking the quintessential cross-country roadtrip across america in which i will burn through whatever little savings i will have by then...

and getting a menial job to make a tiny bit of $.

currently leaning toward the former. because, really, when i'll come out of law school in 3.5 yrs with $200k in debt, how much will the +/- $2k i can either lose or gain really going to matter?

I'm thinking of going to Europe for a month or so. I went by myself when I was in HS so I figure I can do the same thing again... plus I miss it. And I was thinking "...you don't have money for that." But the next time I'll be able to do something like this I'll probably be over 30. I don't expect to have my summers free during ls, and once I get a job there's no way I'll get much vacation time for a few years.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:04 pm

1. shack up with parents for a well earned couple of months of dependency.
2. read a number of books I've been meaning to read.
3. very casually read a limited amount of law related books, primarily to get accustomed with the language and stuff like that (I think too many 0L prep haters don't distinguish enough between studying and just causally reading stuff; just because you read something doesn't make it laborious or mean that you're trying to retain tons of information).
4. go to the beach almost everyday
5. hike parts of the AT
6. JOB? Ha, probably not (I am quitting my current one for a reason after all).
7. Buy LEEWS
8. Allow LEEWS to gather dust.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Geist13 wrote:5. hike parts of the AT

The camp I work at is right next to the Appalachian Trail. It is beautiful out there. Good for you!

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:00 pm

scionb4 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:I'm going to Vegas.

Be careful buddy. You don't wanna be financially screwed BEFORE you even start law school.

I have Rain Man. I'll be fine.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Geist13 wrote:1. shack up with parents for a well earned couple of months of dependency.
3. very casually read a limited amount of law related books, primarily to get accustomed with the language and stuff like that (I think too many 0L prep haters don't distinguish enough between studying and just causally reading stuff; just because you read something doesn't make it laborious or mean that you're trying to retain tons of information).
5. hike parts of the AT
7. Buy LEEWS

Dude, don't you think you should do SOMETHING useful? This is a pretty pathetic list of activies for a grown-up to engage in while unemployed for anything beyond a Christmas vacation's worth of time.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:55 pm

scionb4 wrote:
Geist13 wrote:1. shack up with parents for a well earned couple of months of dependency.
5. hike parts of the AT
7. Buy LEEWS

Dude, don't you think you should do SOMETHING useful? This is a pretty pathetic list of activies for a grown-up to engage in while unemployed for anything beyond a Christmas vacation's worth of time.

95% of people who do some job do more damage than good. Unless you're in the other 5%, you are best to stick with harmless--and this plan sounds pretty harmless.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:58 pm

scionb4 wrote:
5. hike parts of the AT
7. Buy LEEWS

No I actually don't want to do anything useful (assuming reading, hiking and beaching aren't useful). Been working 55 hours a week for 20 months now. I'm due for a good break.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Geist13 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
5. hike parts of the AT
7. Buy LEEWS

No I actually don't want to do anything useful (assuming reading, hiking and beaching aren't useful). Been working 55 hours a week for 20 months now. I'm due for a good break.

When are you planning on quitting your job? I can't decide if I should work to the last minute or not. I really want to take 3 weeks and trek Europe (as I'll never have the opportunity again, quite likely) but flights are close in cost to what I make in a month... and I have loans.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:52 pm

continuing my internship, reading books and periodicals that have nothing to do with law, traveling, making the most of living in a wonderful city.

mountaineerlaw

Postby mountaineerlaw » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:02 pm

1. Accounting/Marketing work for a minor league baseball team.
2. Lacrosse coach for little kids.
3. Hang out with the gf.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:17 pm

sibley wrote:When are you planning on quitting your job? I can't decide if I should work to the last minute or not. I really want to take 3 weeks and trek Europe (as I'll never have the opportunity again, quite likely) but flights are close in cost to what I make in a month... and I have loans.

I'm quitting and moving back in with the folks when my current lease runs out, which is the end of May. I will move to my new city (don't know where yet!) in the beginning of August. Two months off sounds just right to me. Honestly, I couldn't imagine continuing my work schedule up to the last minute. I will need a month just to catch up on sleep. My parents though are generous enough to feed me for two months. Without that I would need to work much longer into the summer.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Geist13 wrote:
sibley wrote:When are you planning on quitting your job? I can't decide if I should work to the last minute or not. I really want to take 3 weeks and trek Europe (as I'll never have the opportunity again, quite likely) but flights are close in cost to what I make in a month... and I have loans.

I'm quitting and moving back in with the folks when my current lease runs out, which is the end of May. I will move to my new city (don't know where yet!) in the beginning of August. Two months off sounds just right to me. Honestly, I couldn't imagine continuing my work schedule up to the last minute. I will need a month just to catch up on sleep. My parents though are generous enough to feed me for two months. Without that I would need to work much longer into the summer.

Two months is perfect. More than that and you'll be bored... and you'll probably start getting fat, too. That's what happened when I worked for 2 months, quit, and then couldn't find a job for 2.5 months.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Geist13 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
5. hike parts of the AT
7. Buy LEEWS

Tell that to a seamstress in Indonesia who works 80 hours per week in a sweat shop that provides clothes for Wal-Mart making less in a month than you have in a day. She is due for a break like that, not you.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:18 pm

scionb4 wrote:
Geist13 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:

Tell that to a seamstress in Indonesia who works 80 hours per week in a sweat shop that provides clothes for Wal-Mart making less in a month than you have in a day. She is due for a break like that, not you.

If he doesn't want to or need to work for the last two months, there is no need for judgment. There are a lot of unemployed people out there. Him leaving his job 2 months early could be a Godsend for one lucky person who replaces him.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:19 pm

scionb4 wrote:
Geist13 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
5. hike parts of the AT
7. Buy LEEWS

Work smart not hard.

HTH

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:33 pm

scionb4 wrote:Tell that to a seamstress in Indonesia who works 80 hours per week in a sweat shop that provides clothes for Wal-Mart making less in a month than you have in a day. She is due for a break like that, not you.

I'm supposed to continue being miserable at two jobs I hate for the rest of the summer because there are other people in the world who are worse off than I am? Can you elaborate please?

I usually try to avoid the ad hominem route but:
scionb4 wrote:And I'll play fucktons of videogames.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:41 pm

working full-time until classes start....
Geist13 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:

...FF13,FF14, and demon's souls to start.

regatsrj

Postby regatsrj » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:48 pm

My inner Suze Orman says I should continue in my job making $$$ for most of the summer, but I'd really like to quit in April and spend the summer waiting tables in a beach town in exchange for modest housing. Sadly I don't think those gigs really exist any more, especially ITE. But a girl can dream.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Geist13 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Tell that to a seamstress in Indonesia who works 80 hours per week in a sweat shop that provides clothes for Wal-Mart making less in a month than you have in a day. She is due for a break like that, not you.

I'm supposed to continue being miserable at two jobs I hate for the rest of the summer because there are other people in the world who are worse off than I am? Can you elaborate please?

I usually try to avoid the ad hominem route but:

Along with working all across the country with GoupWorkCamps helping underprivilaged families with rebuilding thir houses. I'll play videogames on my laptop in my free time. Ass.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:04 am

Work my ass off, get drunk a lot. Apartment / rent house hunting.

Return to “Law School FAQ”