What are all the 0l's doing the summer before 1L? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mhd08

Bronze

Re: What are all the 0l's doing the summer before 1L?

Post by mhd08 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:59 am

For now, I'm working and volunteering at a local rock climbing gym in exchange for a free membership. I'm quiting my job in either June or July and then going on a cross-country road trip with two friends. I don't know when I'll be able to just go for a whole month again, so I might as well do it now. The trip includes mountain biking and climbing in Moab, a WEEK in Yosemite, a couple days of climbing and rafting in Colorado, and the rest is all cities. I'm worried I might go to Yosemite and never come back :D . Any suggestions on things to do (other than the obvious) in the following cities would be *very* helpful: Chicago, San Francicsco, Santa Cruz, Austin, Nashville, and LA. Also, can anyone suggest a place to stay between LA and Austin?

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 am

Visiting the family in Greece/ going island hopping

In other words, maxing out credit cards

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:30 am

mhd08 wrote:For now, I'm working and volunteering at a local rock climbing gym in exchange for a free membership. I'm quiting my job in either June or July and then going on a cross-country road trip with two friends. I don't know when I'll be able to just go for a whole month again, so I might as well do it now. The trip includes mountain biking and climbing in Moab, a WEEK in Yosemite, a couple days of climbing and rafting in Colorado, and the rest is all cities. I'm worried I might go to Yosemite and never come back :D . Any suggestions on things to do (other than the obvious) in the following cities would be *very* helpful: Chicago, San Francicsco, Santa Cruz, Austin, Nashville, and LA. Also, can anyone suggest a place to stay between LA and Austin?
I'm very, very jealous.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:38 am

scionb4 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:For now, I'm working and volunteering at a local rock climbing gym in exchange for a free membership. I'm quiting my job in either June or July and then going on a cross-country road trip with two friends. I don't know when I'll be able to just go for a whole month again, so I might as well do it now. The trip includes mountain biking and climbing in Moab, a WEEK in Yosemite, a couple days of climbing and rafting in Colorado, and the rest is all cities. I'm worried I might go to Yosemite and never come back :D . Any suggestions on things to do (other than the obvious) in the following cities would be *very* helpful: Chicago, San Francicsco, Santa Cruz, Austin, Nashville, and LA. Also, can anyone suggest a place to stay between LA and Austin?
I'm very, very jealous.
You should bike or vespa from SF to Santa Cruz or vice versa. Very nice coastline. There's this great place in SF, like a Turkish bath, but it's females only. There's also a really good chinese place but I forget the name of it.....

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:39 am

scionb4 wrote:
Geist13 wrote:
scionb4 wrote: Tell that to a seamstress in Indonesia who works 80 hours per week in a sweat shop that provides clothes for Wal-Mart making less in a month than you have in a day. She is due for a break like that, not you.
I'm supposed to continue being miserable at two jobs I hate for the rest of the summer because there are other people in the world who are worse off than I am? Can you elaborate please?

I usually try to avoid the ad hominem route but:
scionb4 wrote:And I'll play fucktons of videogames.
Along with working all across the country with GoupWorkCamps helping underprivilaged families with rebuilding thir houses. I'll play videogames on my laptop in my free time. Ass.
Feeling a little important today aren't we? Does that assuage your white liberal guilt?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:56 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
Geist13 wrote:
scionb4 wrote: Tell that to a seamstress in Indonesia who works 80 hours per week in a sweat shop that provides clothes for Wal-Mart making less in a month than you have in a day. She is due for a break like that, not you.
I'm supposed to continue being miserable at two jobs I hate for the rest of the summer because there are other people in the world who are worse off than I am? Can you elaborate please?

I usually try to avoid the ad hominem route but:
scionb4 wrote:And I'll play fucktons of videogames.
Along with working all across the country with GoupWorkCamps helping underprivilaged families with rebuilding thir houses. I'll play videogames on my laptop in my free time. Ass.
Feeling a little important today aren't we? Does that assuage your white liberal guilt?
Wanting to help people DOES NOT make me a liberal. I would never consider myself liberal. I don't think it's the government's responsibility to to solve society's problems, mainly because they would just fuck it up like everything else they do. I am all for smaller government - more power to the people. With that power, as Peter Parker would say, comes responsibility. Instead of doing what most "conservatives" would do -demand the power, but never take the responsibility that comes with it- I elect to accept the responsibility that comes with greater freedom to try and do so good for society, whether it is a fruitless effort or not. Also, do not simply assume that just because a person wants to help others that they are white. I am a mix of caucasion and Mexican.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:58 pm

I help poor people by paying them to build my house, not by building their house.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I help poor people by paying them to build my house, not by building their house.
I'm sure you will enjoy your Big Law job. I'm sure you will love driving a BMW, vacationing in your summer home in Michigan. I'm sure you will tolerate the unhappy marriage you have because she was just a trophy anyways, and there are plenty of whores in whatever large city you will choose to practice in. When she divorces you, you won't mind all that much. After all, how screwed over in a divorce settlement could a Big Law attorney ever be? But, 25 years from now when you’re doing blow off of a hooker, you will realize that your life was boring, meaningless, and purely self-serving. But, you'll have a silk handkerchief to wipe your tears off with.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:08 pm

scionb4 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I help poor people by paying them to build my house, not by building their house.
I'm sure you will enjoy your Big Law job. I'm sure you will love driving a [strike]BMW[/strike]Audi, vacationing in your summer home in [strike]Michigan[/strike]Wisconsin. I'm sure you will tolerate the unhappy marriage you have because she was just a trophy anyways, and there are plenty of whores in whatever large city you will choose to practice in. When she divorces you, you won't mind all that much. After all, how screwed over in a divorce settlement could a Big Law attorney ever be. But, 25 years from now when you’re doing blow off of a hooker, you will realize that your life was boring, meaningless, and purely self-serving. But, you'll have a silk handkerchief to wipe your tears off of.
I will enjoy it.

Seriously though you aren't going to raise the standard of living of the poor through charity or welfare, but through commerce.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
I'm sure you will enjoy your Big Law job. I'm sure you will love driving a [strike]BMW[/strike]Audi, vacationing in your summer home in [strike]Michigan[/strike]Wisconsin. I'm sure you will tolerate the unhappy marriage you have because she was just a trophy anyways, and there are plenty of whores in whatever large city you will choose to practice in. When she divorces you, you won't mind all that much. After all, how screwed over in a divorce settlement could a Big Law attorney ever be. But, 25 years from now when you’re doing blow off of a hooker, you will realize that your life was boring, meaningless, and purely self-serving. But, you'll have a silk handkerchief to wipe your tears off of.
I will enjoy it.

Seriously though you aren't going to raise the standard of living of the poor through charity or welfare, but through commerce.
You do both. You don't simply ignore one in favor of the other. Have a high paying job, that's your choice. But, get out into your community and do something worthwhile for other people as well. It doesn't matter if it only helps a little. It's still the right thing to do.

dgouzoul

Bronze

Post by dgouzoul » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:13 pm

scionb4 wrote:
I'm sure you will enjoy your Big Law job. I'm sure you will love driving a BMW, vacationing in your summer home in Michigan. I'm sure you will tolerate the unhappy marriage you have because she was just a trophy anyways, and there are plenty of whores in whatever large city you will choose to practice in. When she divorces you, you won't mind all that much. After all, how screwed over in a divorce settlement could a Big Law attorney ever be? But, 25 years from now when you’re doing blow off of a hooker, you will realize that your life was boring, meaningless, and purely self-serving. But, you'll have a silk handkerchief to wipe your tears off with.
going into public interest?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:14 pm

scionb4 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
I will enjoy it.

You do both. You don't simply ignore one in favor of the other. Have a high paying job, that's your choice. But, get out into your community and do something worthwhile for other people as well. It doesn't matter if it only helps a little. It's still the right thing to do.
Eh, I'd rather not.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:14 pm

quitting my job in June and enjoying playing baseball healthy for the first time in 5 years (numerous injuries and surgeries)... probably also reading a lot and drinking heavily.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:28 pm

sibley wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
I'm very, very jealous.
You should bike or vespa from SF to Santa Cruz or vice versa. Very nice coastline. There's this great place in SF, like a Turkish bath, but it's females only. There's also a really good chinese place but I forget the name of it.....
Thanks for the suggestions! My trip is all girls so I might have to check out that Turkish bath type thing you're talking about.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:30 pm

mhd08 wrote:
sibley wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
I'm very, very jealous.
Thanks for the suggestions! My trip is all girls so I might have to check out that Turkish bath type thing you're talking about.
Oh! In that case, it's actually Japanese. I can't remember the name of it but if I remember I'll look when I get home - I have a file on SF on my computer leftover from spring break last year.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Eh, I'd rather not.
No snarkiness? Where'd it go?

chooch

New

Post by chooch » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:12 pm

ughOSU wrote:quitting my job in June and enjoying playing baseball healthy for the first time in 5 years (numerous injuries and surgeries)... probably also reading a lot and drinking heavily.
baseball in the heat of the summer FTW.
so is watching the Phillies go for another run at the WS 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 pm

dannybang wrote:
ughOSU wrote:quitting my job in June and enjoying playing baseball healthy for the first time in 5 years (numerous injuries and surgeries)... probably also reading a lot and drinking heavily.
Hell Yeah!!!!! I'm a huge phillies fan, although not currently located in philly... Part of the reason I'm so pumped about Penn is I can shamelessly wear my Howard jersey every day!

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:19 pm

eandy wrote:I am going to try to get some stupid job somewhere so that I can make money to upgrade the wardrobe/my furniture/pay for random items(Backpack, for example) that I need for law school but never needed in UG.

I also plan to tan by the pool and do tons of pleasure reading(to get my brain used to lots of reading). I think I will overload on Russian lit.
Leo Tolstoy is completely over rated

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:15 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
eandy wrote:I am going to try to get some stupid job somewhere so that I can make money to upgrade the wardrobe/my furniture/pay for random items(Backpack, for example) that I need for law school but never needed in UG.

I also plan to tan by the pool and do tons of pleasure reading(to get my brain used to lots of reading). I think I will overload on Russian lit.
Leo Tolstoy is completely over rated
agreed, but the other russians aren't

OnWisconsin

Bronze

Post by OnWisconsin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:27 pm

I'm surprised that no one has said this yet.

EVERY DRUG KNOWN TO MAN

But sersiously just continue working and taking it easy until then. Most importantly staying away from the needless accumulation of debt and hassle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:10 am

OnWisconsin wrote:I'm surprised that no one has said this yet.

EVERY DRUG KNOWN TO MAN

But sersiously just continue working and taking it easy until then. Most importantly staying away from the needless accumulation of debt and hassle.
Let me know how that works out.......

chooch

New

Post by chooch » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:28 pm

ughOSU wrote:
dannybang wrote:
Hell Yeah!!!!! I'm a huge phillies fan, although not currently located in philly... Part of the reason I'm so pumped about Penn is I can shamelessly wear my Howard jersey every day!
YES, you are going to love baseball season in Philadelphia! Great bars,food,weather,baseball= WIN

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:36 pm

i'll probably be bartending in a new city, saving mad $$ and blurring the line between work and play.

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:41 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:You people who are intent on training your brains in some way should just relax because the 3 years of law school will be bad enough.

I plan on playing lots of Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”