Absolute Bottom of the Class...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sch6les

Postby sch6les » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:08 am

Last edited by sch6les on Tue May 01, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kohinoor

Re: Absolute Bottom of the Class...

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:11 am

sch6les wrote:LOL I am a freshman in UG.

I'm obviously not being racist or anything. :roll: I also don't understand the skepticism; isn't this just a logical connection to make? Lower performance in UG ---> lower performance in LS.

You're making flawed assumptions about the role of various factors in law school performance.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:14 am

sch6les wrote:I also don't understand the skepticism; isn't this just a logical connection to make? Lower performance in UG ---> lower performance in LS.

I'm living proof this is not true.

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:15 am

[quote="sch6les"]LOL I am a freshman in UG.quote]
OMG LOL!

Come back in a few years.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:16 am

The LSAT predicts law school performance twice as well as uGPA (although even taken together, these factors are nothing like a guarantee for the performance of individual students). Besides, this was brought up (by me) in the beginning of the thread.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:56 am

Kohinoor wrote:
sch6les wrote:I don't know why anyone has brought this up yet, but wouldn't people at the bottom most likely be URM's, splitters (but not reverse splitters), etc? After all, these are people who gained admission with lower standards than the rest of the class, and would thus be of lower caliber.

*Clicks Add Foe*

What does that do? I've been meaning to try it out...

Also...now I'm not racist...I'm actually black myself so unlike John Mayer I get a pass I think. But I think looking at performance in general I would expect lower LSATs to typically not perform as well as higher ones. This was posted here somewhere by someone...--LinkRemoved-- It's about URM performance in LS. It kinda makes sense that a bunch of 3.2/159 people don't do as well when competing against a bunch of 3.7/ 170 people IN GENERAL. I'm sure exceptions are a frequent because it's not an exact science (I am trying to be one of those exceptions!) but by and large it makes sense to me.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:08 am

sch6les wrote:LOL I am a freshman in UG.

I'm obviously not being racist or anything. :roll: I also don't understand the skepticism; isn't this just a logical connection to make? Lower performance in UG ---> lower performance in LS.

The LSAT has much more predictive validity than UGPA.

The LSAT + UGPA has even more predictive power. Still, it's not that much.

The people at the bottom of the class are the people at the bottom of the class. Yes, URMs are disproportionately in the lower reaches of the class. The fact that no URMs "diversitied" on to VLR last year is kind of a bad sign.

As for splitters, IDK. Other than my few best friends, people don't really exchange UGPA/LSAT once they're here because it doesn't really matter anymore and no one wants to be like that kid in undergrad who had to tell you about his 1600.

Return to “Law School FAQ”