Part-time students - How many hours do YOU study? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
belkin00

New

Part-time students - How many hours do YOU study?

Post by belkin00 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:48 pm

belkin00

New

Re: Part-time students - How many hours do YOU study?

Post by belkin00 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:55 pm

bump

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:39 pm

bump bump.
I'd like to know too. :mrgreen:

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Wouldn't the obvious answer be 25% less then full-time students?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:06 pm

onthecusp wrote:Wouldn't the obvious answer be 25% less then full-time students?
That would depend on the school, and the number of hours the person works or interns. For us, it's one class less than a FT course load, so it's still a shit ton of work. My reading usually takes about two hours per day, then outlining, studying, and reading of supplements comes in. I work around the clock when LRW assignments are coming up, and have, on occasion, pulled two or three allnighters in a row (long memo-- I don't recommend doing this, if possible.) Closer to finals, most people who are working take off at least a week, and just study all day, if at all possible. In the final six weeks, my study time roughly doubles, and I studied around the clock in my final week. Note that I was not working full time, but had (and still have) a part time internship, in addition to a few projects that are less time sensitive.

The real credited answer is that PT students study as much as they can, given outside responsibilities and concurrent projects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:29 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
onthecusp wrote:Wouldn't the obvious answer be 25% less then full-time students?
That would depend on the school, and the number of hours the person works or interns. For us, it's one class less than a FT course load, so it's still a shit ton of work. My reading usually takes about two hours per day, then outlining, studying, and reading of supplements comes in. I work around the clock when LRW assignments are coming up, and have, on occasion, pulled two or three allnighters in a row (long memo-- I don't recommend doing this, if possible.) Closer to finals, most people who are working take off at least a week, and just study all day, if at all possible. In the final six weeks, my study time roughly doubles, and I studied around the clock in my final week. Note that I was not working full time, but had (and still have) a part time internship, in addition to a few projects that are less time sensitive.

The real credited answer is that PT students study as much as they can, given outside responsibilities and concurrent projects.
If this is the case why go PT? I have been debating PT/FT and I am not really sure how the two workloads measure up. If PT is only 1 fewer class then it would still be a LOT of work. My reason for going PT would be to work PT as well and if there is only a 1 class difference then it seems working PT and going to school PT would be more work than just going to school FT. I don't have a problem with the work itself but I need to figure out which way will give me the most free time to spend with my kids and my husband.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Man, it's tough to get an IBOS on these PT threads :lol: I think you need to add how many hours a day of TLS you work in as well...

OP, I went through and kind of still am what you are deciding last cycle - the main motive for me would be $$$. I have a six-fig job that would let me do PT, so how nice would it be to graduate with six-fig savings and no debt instead of six-fig debt? It also would also leave you freer for clerkships/any job you want.

But just before going that route a lawyer told me both it's not a good idea for studying and because PT progs fly lower on the employer radar. I decided to take this year and get a feel for which way would be best. I have to be honest, having built up five-figure savings in just six months makes it really feel like it would be awesome to do it this way. But the reality is, as someone who would be working a trying FT job, I think the toll on both health and grades would be too much, and 1L performance is said to set your career more than anything. If I had a previous job I had that was much more low key, maybe, but honestly FT emply with 4 nights a week of school, most nights for 4 hours - would you have time to crack books other than on Sat and Sun? And do you have enough those days to cover almost a full LS load?

Many go PT because they couldn't get into the FT prog - so as a prof told me at a school visit the other day, those actually working FT often feel at a disadvantage - you are competing with people who don't work or only work PT.

So I can't say 100% which is best - kill yourself for four years but then not have to kill yourself to pay off debt for the next 20, or do it FT. I just say realistically look at your life, go through a month or so thinking "What if I was at school four hours a night four nights a week, then had all the homework and study time." It is just two periods of 4 month periods a year. If you think you could push through, and don't mind 4 years of that, maybe do it.

Personally, I think I could have done it this year, and it may have been a smarter move than jumping in to debt and no job. With jobs unstable, my decision won't come until I see what FT progs I'm in and how secure/insane I feel my job will be.

belkin00

New

Post by belkin00 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:34 pm

ruleser wrote:Man, it's tough to get an IBOS on these PT threads :lol: I think you need to add how many hours a day of TLS you work in as well...

OP, I went through and kind of still am what you are deciding last cycle - the main motive for me would be $$$. I have a six-fig job that would let me do PT, so how nice would it be to graduate with six-fig savings and no debt instead of six-fig debt? It also would also leave you freer for clerkships/any job you want.

But just before going that route a lawyer told me both it's not a good idea for studying and because PT progs fly lower on the employer radar. I decided to take this year and get a feel for which way would be best. I have to be honest, having built up five-figure savings in just six months makes it really feel like it would be awesome to do it this way. But the reality is, as someone who would be working a trying FT job, I think the toll on both health and grades would be too much, and 1L performance is said to set your career more than anything. If I had a previous job I had that was much more low key, maybe, but honestly FT emply with 4 nights a week of school, most nights for 4 hours - would you have time to crack books other than on Sat and Sun? And do you have enough those days to cover almost a full LS load?

Many go PT because they couldn't get into the FT prog - so as a prof told me at a school visit the other day, those actually working FT often feel at a disadvantage - you are competing with people who don't work or only work PT.

So I can't say 100% which is best - kill yourself for four years but then not have to kill yourself to pay off debt for the next 20, or do it FT. I just say realistically look at your life, go through a month or so thinking "What if I was at school four hours a night four nights a week, then had all the homework and study time." It is just two periods of 4 month periods a year. If you think you could push through, and don't mind 4 years of that, maybe do it.

Personally, I think I could have done it this year, and it may have been a smarter move than jumping in to debt and no job. With jobs unstable, my decision won't come until I see what FT progs I'm in and how secure/insane I feel my job will be.
I am in the exact same position. Incredible job in a niche industry that I can't walk away from. More importantly, I want to use my law degree in that industry - walking away for 3 years would damage the possibility of that. I am just hoping that my job is as flexible as I think it is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”