Law School Debt Free

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
pinkzeppelin

Law School Debt Free

Postby pinkzeppelin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:40 am

Last edited by pinkzeppelin on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reinhardt

Re: Law School Debt Free

Postby Reinhardt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:43 am

I don't think you have a shot at the Hamilton, but NYU on down may offer you a full ride depending on the rest of your application package. 4.0 in engineering oughta impress them. Also, unless you have significant savings, parental help, or intend to work a part-time job during school, you'll almost certainly have some debt when you graduate even if you get a full tuition scholarship.
Last edited by Reinhardt on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:43 am

4.0 from GT is fucking stellar bro

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:51 am

msoftceo wrote:I don't think you have a shot at the Hamilton, but NYU on down may offer you a full ride depending on the rest of your application package. 4.0 in engineering oughta impress them. Also, unless you have significant savings, parental help, or intend to work a part-time job during school, you'll almost certainly have some debt when you graduate even if you get a full tuition scholarship.

My parents have no money and I don't plan on working part-time during law school (crazy!), but I am co-oping with a company and should have ~$10,000 on reserve. I figure that should get me through the first year's living expenses alright. Hopefully I can get a paying internship over the summer to pay from there? Is this realistic?

Thanks for the tips on NYU, etc. Does anyone have any data, or at least anecdotal evidence of what's required to get these scholarships? Is the general consensus that softs play a larger part in scholarships than admissions?

kittenmittons wrote:4.0 from GT is fucking stellar bro

Thanks! :mrgreen:

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:56 am

OP, 4.00 in engineering is awesome!, I would look at lawschoolnumbers and see this yr/last year the numbers of people in the t-14 who got full rides (most of these full rides don't cover books/housing/board, just tuition) But you can user ur 10k + summer earning to get pretty close to 5k or 0 debt when u graduate. Check out Vandy (i know they give some) Texas, maybe even Cornell. 4.00s are rare in engineering and every school, except the t6 would love to have another 170 too (u'll boost there lsat & gpa medians). Good luck

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:56 am

Good luck to ya. I'm a part of the TLS community that won't yell and scream at you for trying to take the best school you can get into with a full-ride. I think it's smart. I'm leaning on doing the same thing myself. My stats can't be compared with yours though so my options are vastly different. Anyhow, you'll still grad from a bad ass school with those numbers and no debt besides what you pull out for COL. That's nice.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:59 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:I've decided I don't want to have any debt when I graduate from law school.

I know most people on here will yell and scream that I should go to the best school I can regardless of cost, but I have a huge aversion to debt, and I don't want to be forced to accept a Big Law job just to pay off my mountain of debt.

So basically my goal is to graduate from the best law school I can without any debt.

Here are my stats:

170 LSAT, 4.0 GPA in Aerospace Engineering at GaTech

Since I'm from Georgia I will definitely be applying to Emory's Woodruff Fellowship and the University of Georgia Law Scholars Program.

What are the best law schools that offer full tuition scholarships to people with stats close to mine?

Thanks!

4.0 in AE, that's incredible.

off topic: You didn't happen to be in the AE building when the sword stabbing happened did you?

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:02 pm

I am a GA resident with a 171 and 3.9.

I recieved full tuition from UGA and Alabama.
I recieved full tuition plus stipend from Tennessee.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:04 pm

I should have mentioned this, but if you can improve your LSAT score by 6 points or so, you'll probably have options like the Hamilton at Columbia, or you could bend on your debt idea and take advantage of Yale's nice LRAP.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm

jerjon2 wrote:
4.0 in AE, that's incredible.

off topic: You didn't happen to be in the AE building when the sword stabbing happened did you?

Thanks again, for everyone congratulating me on my GPA, and also thanks for the tips on Cornell, etc :D

Luckily I wasn't. I was in Guggenheim at the time, so I heard the police and ambulances though.

rapstar wrote:I am a GA resident with a 171 and 3.9.

I recieved full tuition from UGA and Alabama.
I recieved full tuition plus stipend from Tennessee.

thanks for the info! That's great news, I hope I can get the same from UGA. Did you have any outstanding softs? Or did it mostly seem to be based on numbers?

I'm really interested in the relative importance of softs for scholarships. My softs are lacking (part of the sacrifice to get a 4.0), so I'm just worried about the impact of weak softs on scholarships.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:09 pm

Even with a full tuition scholarship you should budget between 40 and 50K for COL/misc expenses. That would be nothing compared to the 200K some would be spending for law school......

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:09 pm

I would think safeties for full ride for you would be WUSTL and Emory (though money can be harder to predict).

Check out lawschoolnumbers to see what schools give out full rides as opposed to just smaller scholarships for more people (i.e. like Columbia as opposed to Chicago.

My advice would be apply early and send out A LOT of applications. Since money is even harder to predict than admissions, you are going to need more applications to get the job done (esp since you can use money from one school to leverage the other). Send out fee waiver requests to at the very least T14+Vandy,TX,UCLA.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:10 pm

msoftceo wrote:I should have mentioned this, but if you can improve your LSAT score by 6 points or so, you'll probably have options like the Hamilton at Columbia, or you could bend on your debt idea and take advantage of Yale's nice LRAP.

I love responses like this :roll:

However, one hell of a job done with that 4.0 engineering degree!

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:12 pm

msoftceo wrote:I should have mentioned this, but if you can improve your LSAT score by 6 points or so, you'll probably have options like the Hamilton at Columbia, or you could bend on your debt idea and take advantage of Yale's nice LRAP.

Haha, not to imply that I don't appreciate your input, but I was wondering when someone would advise this (I'm pretty sure raising your lsat itcr for anything on these forums) :lol:

So yeah, I would love to do that too. The 170 is my score on December, and I actually just took it in February and we'll see how I did on that. (I'm not expecting much of an increase though... I thought the test was harder than December)

Threepeat

Postby Threepeat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:16 pm

kittenmittons wrote:4.0 from GT is fucking stellar bro

+1 That is just sicknasty.

That is all. I just couldn't resist to comment on that GPA from GT engineering.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:16 pm

I have average softs at best.

I think schools use scholarships to attract strong numbers and consider softs more in the admission decisions themselves.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:I would think safeties for full ride for you would be WUSTL and Emory (though money can be harder to predict).

Check out lawschoolnumbers to see what schools give out full rides as opposed to just smaller scholarships for more people (i.e. like Columbia as opposed to Chicago.

My advice would be apply early and send out A LOT of applications. Since money is even harder to predict than admissions, you are going to need more applications to get the job done (esp since you can use money from one school to leverage the other). Send out fee waiver requests to at the very least T14+Vandy,TX,UCLA.

Thanks for the advice! It sounds like this will be a long application process.

You mentioned lawschoolnumbers to see which schools give out full rides, is there a way to do this easily? I've been trying to do this, but I've just been going from green dot to green dot on the graphs and looking at the money people report.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:21 pm

I think you should be able to get a full ride from a lower T14. If not, one of the schools in the 15-20 range will certainly give you one (Boston University would be a very high probability of a full ride, for example).

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Click on the "Applicants" tab and you can easily see people who report six digit scholarships. You can also do a custom search at individual schools and filter for applicants who received $100k+. Do this for the 2008-2009 year and earlier, because many schools haven't awarded aid yet for the 2009-2010 cycle.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 pm

pinkzeppelin wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:I would think safeties for full ride for you would be WUSTL and Emory (though money can be harder to predict).

Thanks for the advice! It sounds like this will be a long application process.

You mentioned lawschoolnumbers to see which schools give out full rides, is there a way to do this easily? I've been trying to do this, but I've just been going from green dot to green dot on the graphs and looking at the money people report.

Hourumd provides a good breakdown by school of how people did both admissions and money wise (pulls it's date from LSN and actually links all the names to LSN profile). I would pay less attention to the older cycles and put more emphasis on the last year or two though.

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=169-171&gp ... o&range=no

Legalite

Postby Legalite » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:47 pm

Good luck OP! Debt fee is the choice to take :lol:

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Anyone else disheartened by the fact that a 4.0 engineering student from GT is going to waste away for 3 years in law school when he could be going out doing something useful for the world? :D .

Threepeat

Postby Threepeat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:56 pm

heyguys wrote:Anyone else disheartened by the fact that a 4.0 engineering student from GT is going to waste away for 3 years in law school when he could be going out doing something useful for the world? :D .

haha +1. I mean, a 4.0 from GT has to produce some ridiculous opportunities.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:00 pm

You have a 4.0 from GT, go build spaceships.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:09 pm

heyguys wrote:Anyone else disheartened by the fact that a 4.0 engineering student from GT is going to waste away for 3 years in law school when he could be going out doing something useful for the world? :D .

-1. OP should not be pressured into a career because he shows an aptitude in it. the study of engineering is very different than the practice.

in fact, i think some of the best engineers are quite frankly lousy in school; they have an aptitude for designing devices and visualizing what could be, but can't necessarily do the mathematical analysis found in the courses.

here are his primary options in aerospace engineering.

#1. go to a PhD program. 10 people enter each yr, 1 graduates each yr. out of the graduates, a small percentage will get "post docs". the rest will be off to defense contractors, where they will design weapons all day (the only companies that really care about a Ph.D. in aerospace engineering). if he manages to secure the post-doc after a 5 yr slog, he will then compete for academia positions where hundreds of candidates apply for each job. when he realizes that doesn't work out, he will head back to defense contracting.

#2. join a defense contractor immediately. engineer = cube farm job for the most part. most folk are lifers who put in their 9-5, and realize that most of the crap you are working on is a waste anyway, and will be canceled with the next defense budget. more money will be funneled into the next useless tech project.

#3. go work for a "prestigious" govt agency like NASA. woohoo, you get to design SPACESHIPS! if by spaceships you mean doing a computational thermodynamic analysis of the lower-left plate. oh btw, you won't be paid all that much, and the atmosphere is for the most part like defense contractors (see #2).

i don't mean to be abrasive or argumentative, but engineering has some major downsides that many might not know about. OP might realize these trade-offs now and realize that law or some other field better suits his career desires.

Return to “Law School FAQ”