Live like a student now Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gwuorbust

Gold

Live like a student now

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:18 pm

... or live like one later?

For some of the schools I am considering I could either get an apartment w/ some rando roomates and drop like $500 a month on housing or I could get a pretty good single apartment for say $1,200 a month. Do you all think that it would be wise to save the extra about 5k a year or, for the sake of QoL, pay the extra 15k total?

Am looking at biglaw after LS, if I am able to get a job.

cubswin

Silver

Re: Live like a student now

Post by cubswin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:20 pm

It depends on who your roommate will be, and if you would like the option of studying at home. If you think living by yourself will be a significant boost to your grades, perhaps you could jusify the cost.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm

I suppose if you think that living with a bunch of randoms would have seriously negative effects on your study habits and your QOL, then shelling out the extra money might be justifiable for the sake of enjoying the next three years and keeping your grades up.

Personally I am going to try to find at least one roommate, just because I think I would get bored living by myself. But this will really depend on you and what you prefer.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm starting to think about this now.

I live in downtown San Francisco, and needless to say, housing can be expensive. However, I live in a pretty bad neighborhood, and jumped on a pretty good deal, so I'm living relatively cheaply.

With the enormity of the loans I'll be taking out, I wonder if it's worth still slumming it up, or if it makes sense to pony up another $200 a month to get somewhere nicer.

I figure the biggest consideration is: what is best for my academic and professional pursuits?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:59 pm

gwuorbust wrote:... or live like one later?

For some of the schools I am considering I could either get an apartment w/ some rando roomates and drop like $500 a month on housing or I could get a pretty good single apartment for say $1,200 a month. Do you all think that it would be wise to save the extra about 5k a year or, for the sake of QoL, pay the extra 15k total?

Am looking at biglaw after LS, if I am able to get a job.
live by yourself. i dont think the quotation is quite referring to this kind of tradeoff, but rather taking out loans to buy a bmw during school or living in a luxury apartment in a pristine area for 2k+/month.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”