Are Admitted Students' Days worth it?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
pepsi

Are Admitted Students' Days worth it?

Postby pepsi » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:21 pm

So, for anyone who has been to or is planning on attending an Admitted Students Day, is it worth it? I have been seriously considering attending a few ASDs out of state, but after the cost of flight, hotel, etc., I am wondering if it is just a waste of money. Thoughts? Anyone have any stories that really prove that it is worth the cost? Also, if you are planning on attending ASDs, how many are you attending and when do you plan to attend them?

FYI- All of the schools I am considering do not over travel stipends.

Thanks!

ec2xs

Re: Are Admitted Students' Days worth it?

Postby ec2xs » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:22 pm

If you are legitimately considering a school, you really should visit it. May as well do it on admitted students' day.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Deciding on a particular school is serious business. To perform optimally, the learning environment should be a good fit for you. That said, I wouldn't attend any school without visiting it first.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:27 pm

i'll be the contrarian. if you are pretty happy and have no major concerns about your top-ranked school, i would say you are fine. most ASW are just marketing hypes to get you to attend.

however, if you do have a potentially major concern (for example, does suburban life in ann arbor provide the right atmosphere for me), then you should definitely visit to confront those concerns.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:33 pm

englawyer wrote:i'll be the contrarian. if you are pretty happy and have no major concerns about your top-ranked school, i would say you are fine. most ASW are just marketing hypes to get you to attend.

however, if you do have a potentially major concern (for example, does suburban life in ann arbor provide the right atmosphere for me), then you should definitely visit to confront those concerns.

Major concerns may not manifest themselves until the student visits the school. The literature that a school prints can be out of sync with reality. I researched several schools and fell in love with them, until I actually took a tour and sat in on some 1L classes. Of course, I will agree that schools in a certain range may be worth attending regardless of the setting or atmosphere. The OP might hate urban life for example, but the school's ranking could quickly overcome that concern.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Without answering your question, I'll give you something to think about. The cost of law school can be about the cost of a decent house (in some parts of the country). Taking out law school loans can therefore be just as big of an expense as a mortgage.

Would you buy a house without seeing it first?

pepsi

Postby pepsi » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks for the help, guys. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. So how many are you guys attending? I think I will do April/May visits once I have narrowed my list down. I am thinking I will visit 2 schools out of state. Sucks that everything about law school is so expensive. Can a kid catch a break?

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Especiially worth it if the school covers it. No reason not to attend.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:02 pm

ogman05 wrote:Especiially worth it if the school covers it. No reason not to attend.

WTF? They pay for travel/airfare/food/hotel?? :o :D

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:21 pm

if i weren't poor as fack I would attend these.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:34 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
ogman05 wrote:Especiially worth it if the school covers it. No reason not to attend.

WTF? They pay for travel/airfare/food/hotel?? :o :D

Some do (W&L apparently pays for your hotel, gives you up to $300 for travel, and might even pick you up at the airport), some give you a few hundred dollars that'll cover part of the cost, and some give nothing at all.

Return to “Law School FAQ”