You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:46 pm

-The semi-socially awkward Harvard grad with proven analytical brilliance but difficulties in translating it through effective communication or the top 50 state-school charismatic, attractive, "street-smart" grad who made up for lack of intrinsic ability with hard work?

This is just one of a thousand potential hypotheticals of course... but the underlying question is: What actually gets you the job, not the interview, but the job?

With the overwhelming emphasis on rankings, statistics, generalized notions/impressions of schools, etc, are we overlooking some of the more impactful traits that firms look for?

Every job I've ever gotten (100k+ finance) has been because of exhibiting great communication/people skills during the interiew. I made the owner/hiring manager laugh. I drop clever jokes, etc. Not a single company has ever asked any detailed question about my UG experience, major, GPA, etc. I'm an attractive looking guy. I also dress well. Are we overlooking the (albeit superficial/flawed) aspects of what actually gets you the job?
Last edited by reasonabledoubt on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby OGR3 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Do you jump on the hiring manager's couch like the real Tom Cruise?

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:49 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:-The semi-socially awkward Harvard grad with proven analytical brilliance but difficulties in translating it through effective communication or the top 50 state-school charismatic, attractive, "street-smart" grad who made up for lack of intrinsic ability with hard work?

This is just one of a thousand potential hypotheticals of course... but the underlying question is: What actually gets you the job, not the interview, but the job?

With the overwhelming emphasis on rankings, statistics, generalized notions/impressions of schools, etc, are we overlooking some of the more impactful traits that firms look for?

Every job I've ever gotten (100k+ finance) has been because of exhibiting great communication/people skills during the interiew. I made the owner/hiring manager laugh. I drop clever jokes, etc. Not a single company has ever asked any detailed question about my UG experience, major, GPA, etc. I'm an attractive looking guy. I also dress well. Are we overlooking the (albeit superficial/flawed) aspects of what actually gets you the job?


Nope. Law firm hiring is different. Harvard guy wins 99 times out of 100. Thread/

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:50 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Every job I've ever gotten (100k+ finance) has been because of exhibiting great communication/people skills during the interiew. I made the owner/hiring manager laugh. I drop clever jokes, etc. Not a single company has ever asked any detailed question about my UG experience, major, GPA, etc. I'm an attractive looking guy. I also dress well. Are we overlooking the (albeit superficial/flawed) aspects of what actually gets you the job?


Then why are you applying to law school? Sounds like you should be applying for an MBA, or better yet a real job

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Harvard

hth

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:50 pm

OGR3 wrote:Do you jump on the hiring manager's couch like the real Tom Cruise?


lol - no, you know what I'm attempting to get at ITT. In the real world, this is the stuff that lands you the job, for better or worse. You have to have the ability, yes, but some of what we're obsessing over on TLS isn't going to matter in three years.

Networking, relationships, communication skills, appearance.....

User avatar
manbearwig
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby manbearwig » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:50 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:-The semi-socially awkward Harvard grad with proven analytical brilliance but difficulties in translating it through effective communication or the top 50 state-school charismatic, attractive, "street-smart" grad who made up for lack of intrinsic ability with hard work?

This is just one of a thousand potential hypotheticals of course... but the underlying question is: What actually gets you the job, not the interview, but the job?

With the overwhelming emphasis on rankings, statistics, generalized notions/impressions of schools, etc, are we overlooking some of the more impactful traits that firms look for?

Every job I've ever gotten (100k+ finance) has been because of exhibiting great communication/people skills during the interiew. I made the owner/hiring manager laugh. I drop clever jokes, etc. Not a single company has ever asked any detailed question about my UG experience, major, GPA, etc. I'm an attractive looking guy. I also dress well. Are we overlooking the (albeit superficial/flawed) aspects of what actually gets you the job?


One of our friends of the family is a senior partner at a top firm, and he basically answered this question for me. He'd choose the T1 or T2 state school (as long as it was in his region) any day. He told us how he thinks that the T14 don't prep you as well for real world application as do some of the regional schools.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:51 pm

The guy with good grades who went to the same law school I did so I can pretend its just as good as Harvard.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby of Benito Cereno » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:51 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:-The semi-socially awkward Harvard grad with proven analytical brilliance but difficulties in translating it through effective communication or the top 50 state-school charismatic, attractive, "street-smart" grad who made up for lack of intrinsic ability with hard work?

This is just one of a thousand potential hypotheticals of course... but the underlying question is: What actually gets you the job, not the interview, but the job?

With the overwhelming emphasis on rankings, statistics, generalized notions/impressions of schools, etc, are we overlooking some of the more impactful traits that firms look for?

Every job I've ever gotten (100k+ finance) has been because of exhibiting great communication/people skills during the interiew. I made the owner/hiring manager laugh. I drop clever jokes, etc. Not a single company has ever asked any detailed question about my UG experience, major, GPA, etc. I'm an attractive looking guy. I also dress well. Are we overlooking the (albeit superficial/flawed) aspects of what actually gets you the job?


you do realize that Davis Polk isn't Entourage right?

cavebat2000
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby cavebat2000 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:52 pm

This reminds of a logic game where people can not be hired unless they are interviewed.

Which brings me to my point.. if they interview:

3 Harvard Grads
2 Stanford Grad
1 Duke Grad
1 Northwestern Grad

Then no matter how great that t40 applicant may be, he/she didn't get interviewed...

This is my delemna. I'd prefer not to drop 200k on a t14 law school education, but I would like to be on the interview list.

Is this a flawed perspective? I welcome advice, as I am still learning about all this.

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Every job I've ever gotten (100k+ finance) has been because of exhibiting great communication/people skills during the interiew. I made the owner/hiring manager laugh. I drop clever jokes, etc. Not a single company has ever asked any detailed question about my UG experience, major, GPA, etc. I'm an attractive looking guy. I also dress well. Are we overlooking the (albeit superficial/flawed) aspects of what actually gets you the job?


Then why are you applying to law school? Sounds like you should be applying for an MBA, or better yet a real job


"Why Law" is a compelling, 2 (sometimes 2+) page answer for me that's far beyond the scope of this thread. With that said, law is where I belong.

J-tow10
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby J-tow10 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:55 pm

OP, it seems like the answer you're looking for/believe is correct is the latter. I too hope this is true in the real world. However, TLS has somewhat biased me into believing the former :oops:

User avatar
Rowinguy2009
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:57 pm

IMHO I think the answer to this question is going to depend on what specific firm you are talking about, who the hiring partners are, and a couple dozen other things that we can't take into consideration ITT. I think that generally speaking TLS (or at least some people on TLS) don't realize how important networking, being able to interview well, and maybe even good looks can be to getting a job.

At the same time, most people in the real world don't even come close to realizing how important rankings and grades are. So the two even each other out. I think if it were me as the hiring partner, I would want the state school grad, but that's just me.

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:58 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:-The semi-socially awkward Harvard grad with proven analytical brilliance but difficulties in translating it through effective communication or the top 50 state-school charismatic, attractive, "street-smart" grad who made up for lack of intrinsic ability with hard work?

This is just one of a thousand potential hypotheticals of course... but the underlying question is: What actually gets you the job, not the interview, but the job?

With the overwhelming emphasis on rankings, statistics, generalized notions/impressions of schools, etc, are we overlooking some of the more impactful traits that firms look for?

Every job I've ever gotten (100k+ finance) has been because of exhibiting great communication/people skills during the interiew. I made the owner/hiring manager laugh. I drop clever jokes, etc. Not a single company has ever asked any detailed question about my UG experience, major, GPA, etc. I'm an attractive looking guy. I also dress well. Are we overlooking the (albeit superficial/flawed) aspects of what actually gets you the job?


you do realize that Davis Polk isn't Entourage right?


No, but take a look at DP's attorneys through their search feature and notice the wide range of law schools.... a considerable amount of lower ranking ls's, etc. --LinkRemoved--

nycparalegal
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:26 am

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm

The Harvard kid of course. You barely interact with people in the office in biglaw. The partners do all of the meetings with clients.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:17 pm

nycparalegal wrote:The Harvard kid of course. You barely interact with people in the office in biglaw. The partners do all of the meetings with clients.


Well..yeah...but all partners were once associates.

nycparalegal
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:26 am

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:The Harvard kid of course. You barely interact with people in the office in biglaw. The partners do all of the meetings with clients.


Well..yeah...but all partners were once associates.


Yes, but not all associates become partners. The kid could do alot of the difficult intellectual work, and he could then become of counsel or something like that.

pithypike
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby pithypike » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:33 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Do you jump on the hiring manager's couch like the real Tom Cruise?


lol - no, you know what I'm attempting to get at ITT. In the real world, this is the stuff that lands you the job, for better or worse. You have to have the ability, yes, but some of what we're obsessing over on TLS isn't going to matter in three years.


Good looks are fleeting - HYS is forever.

kevin261186
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby kevin261186 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:45 pm

pithypike wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Do you jump on the hiring manager's couch like the real Tom Cruise?


lol - no, you know what I'm attempting to get at ITT. In the real world, this is the stuff that lands you the job, for better or worse. You have to have the ability, yes, but some of what we're obsessing over on TLS isn't going to matter in three years.


Good looks are fleeting - HYS is forever.


not true for males. we get better looking with age, n ot worse.

older = more money = more expensive wardrobe = better looking (as long as you stay in decent shape, that is)

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby englawyer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:47 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:-The semi-socially awkward Harvard grad with proven analytical brilliance but difficulties in translating it through effective communication or the top 50 state-school charismatic, attractive, "street-smart" grad who made up for lack of intrinsic ability with hard work?


this is a false choice because I am sure the career services office at Harvard combined with social pressure from peers would help the semi-socially awkward person learn how to dress, play the interview game, etc. I really doubt any law school grad will show up to the interview with the wrong kind of suit, wrong color shoes, and whatnot.

And anyway, law firms are usually characterized as "type a nerds". cool kids work at investment banks.

housie07
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby housie07 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:06 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:-The semi-socially awkward Harvard grad with proven analytical brilliance but difficulties in translating it through effective communication or the top 50 state-school charismatic, attractive, "street-smart" grad who made up for lack of intrinsic ability with hard work?

This is just one of a thousand potential hypotheticals of course... but the underlying question is: What actually gets you the job, not the interview, but the job?

With the overwhelming emphasis on rankings, statistics, generalized notions/impressions of schools, etc, are we overlooking some of the more impactful traits that firms look for?

Every job I've ever gotten (100k+ finance) has been because of exhibiting great communication/people skills during the interiew. I made the owner/hiring manager laugh. I drop clever jokes, etc. Not a single company has ever asked any detailed question about my UG experience, major, GPA, etc. I'm an attractive looking guy. I also dress well. Are we overlooking the (albeit superficial/flawed) aspects of what actually gets you the job?


you do realize that Davis Polk isn't Entourage right?


No, but take a look at DP's attorneys through their search feature and notice the wide range of law schools.... a considerable amount of lower ranking ls's, etc. --LinkRemoved--


you're right, there is a wide range there...michigan, columbia, harvard, duke, stanford...and that was just the Es!

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby rayiner » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:24 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Do you jump on the hiring manager's couch like the real Tom Cruise?


lol - no, you know what I'm attempting to get at ITT. In the real world, this is the stuff that lands you the job, for better or worse. You have to have the ability, yes, but some of what we're obsessing over on TLS isn't going to matter in three years.

Networking, relationships, communication skills, appearance.....


By and large, Harvard grades have all those things + HLS on their resume.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:27 pm

rayiner wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Do you jump on the hiring manager's couch like the real Tom Cruise?


lol - no, you know what I'm attempting to get at ITT. In the real world, this is the stuff that lands you the job, for better or worse. You have to have the ability, yes, but some of what we're obsessing over on TLS isn't going to matter in three years.

Networking, relationships, communication skills, appearance.....


By and large, Harvard grades have all those things + HLS on their resume.

cr. The most socially awkward Harvard grad in the world still gets to go to alum functions at the Harvard Club and rub shoulders with some pretty useful people.

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Depends mostly, I think, on the personality of the hiring partner. I have a legal (non-lawyer) job now that I got because I talked about my thesis on semiotics with the hiring partner. Had I interviewed with another partner who was really in to sports (which i know nothing about---I have no idea who's playing in the super bowl, or even when it is), I may not have gotten the job. Personally, as someone who's more reserved by nature, I more easily find people like your second choice (irrespective of school) as "slick" and therefore not my style. I think this is really what people refer to when they talk about "fit"--law firms hire people with similar or compatible personalities, the "culture" of the firm emerges from the accumulation of similar people hiring similar people. Big firms, obviously, are diverse enough for this to lose force.

Just some thoughts, haven't exactly worked them out.

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: You're the hiring partner, who are you adding to the ship?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 pm

housie07 wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:-The semi-socially awkward Harvard grad with proven analytical brilliance but difficulties in translating it through effective communication or the top 50 state-school charismatic, attractive, "street-smart" grad who made up for lack of intrinsic ability with hard work?

This is just one of a thousand potential hypotheticals of course... but the underlying question is: What actually gets you the job, not the interview, but the job?

With the overwhelming emphasis on rankings, statistics, generalized notions/impressions of schools, etc, are we overlooking some of the more impactful traits that firms look for?

Every job I've ever gotten (100k+ finance) has been because of exhibiting great communication/people skills during the interiew. I made the owner/hiring manager laugh. I drop clever jokes, etc. Not a single company has ever asked any detailed question about my UG experience, major, GPA, etc. I'm an attractive looking guy. I also dress well. Are we overlooking the (albeit superficial/flawed) aspects of what actually gets you the job?


you do realize that Davis Polk isn't Entourage right?


No, but take a look at DP's attorneys through their search feature and notice the wide range of law schools.... a considerable amount of lower ranking ls's, etc. --LinkRemoved--


you're right, there is a wide range there...michigan, columbia, harvard, duke, stanford...and that was just the Es!


I think Michigan and Duke speaks more to my point.... not exactly, but somewhat.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest