Question about when to apply. Need advice.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Mark

Question about when to apply. Need advice.

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:33 pm

Ok, so here's my situation: I want to apply in fall 2010 for admission in fall 2011. I spent my first two years of undergrad at a community college and transferred (with a 3.9) to a large state school in Florida that's not UF or FSU (rearrange the letters FSU). My current institution GPA is a 4.0, and I have every reason to believe I can and will keep it there or, at worst, a 3.9 by graduation next May. I haven't taken the LSAT yet (shooting for September), but it doesn't matter for the purposes of this question anyway. You should also know that my goal is an acceptance at virtually every top 14 school (a man can dream, can't he?)

I'm not naive; I realize that the community college grades, despite being stellar, aren't going to impress anyone. And this leads me to my dilemma: If I apply this fall, I'll be applying with two years of near perfect community college grades and one year of "big boy college" perfect or near perfect grades. Will this put me at a disadvantage in admissions rather than if I waited to apply until after I graduate and have two years of CC grades and 2 full years of "big boy college" grades? I want to do everything I can to maximize my chances at getting into the schools that I want to go to. However, I'm not crazy about the idea of taking a year off. But if that's what it takes, I just may do that. I'm interested to know what you all think, especially if anyone has been in a similar situation and been successful.

Also, and not that this should matter if my numbers are good enough, but full disclosure: I would be a non-traditional applicant, but only by age. I'm 30, but I'm not married (never have been), have no kids, and no debt. There is, literally, nothing holding me back from up and moving to any school in the country (or in the world for that matter). Let me know. Thanks.

forty-two

Re: Question about when to apply. Need advice.

Postby forty-two » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:01 pm

There is absolutely no reason to wait. Your GPA is freaking awesome and it remained awesome after you transfered. I believe that's all the admins will ultimately care about. I'm sure you'll get into some amazing schools with that GPA.

Also, I know you didn't ask about this, but I would suggest shooting for the June LSAT. That way, you can still get your apps out early if you're sick, the proctor makes a mistake, or mauve dinos make a repeat showing. Just a thought.

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:25 pm

forty-two wrote:There is absolutely no reason to wait. Your GPA is freaking awesome and it remained awesome after you transfered. I believe that's all the admins will ultimately care about. I'm sure you'll get into some amazing schools with that GPA.

Also, I know you didn't ask about this, but I would suggest shooting for the June LSAT. That way, you can still get your apps out early if you're sick, the proctor makes a mistake, or mauve dinos make a repeat showing. Just a thought.

The problem is that I'll be out of the country in June, and I don't think that would be enough time for me to prepare properly, even if I were going to be here.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 am

Mark wrote:
forty-two wrote:There is absolutely no reason to wait. Your GPA is freaking awesome and it remained awesome after you transfered. I believe that's all the admins will ultimately care about. I'm sure you'll get into some amazing schools with that GPA.

The problem is that I'll be out of the country in June, and I don't think that would be enough time for me to prepare properly, even if I were going to be here.

Oh, that makes sense. I'm sure you'll do well and will glide into that T14/10/6... no problem.

Good luck!

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:26 am

congrats on the gpa
If I were you, I would apply to my top schools in the fall; the ones that you would be excited to go to no matter what other schools might come up (so for instance, columbia, harvard, yale, chicago, northwestern,, or some other list of schools you're in love with) and then if you dont get into any of those 5 or 3 or whatever next year, or you get a wait list at yale and they tell you you're high up or something like that, then so what. Withdraw your apps and apply again a year later.

So essentially, yes you should apply in the fall (given an lsat above 170) to just your top choices, and if you don't get in to them, no harm no foul, applly again the next year with your super stellar grades your senior year.

Though I have to echo the poster above me that applying early is essential. You can take the lsat out of the country but if you think that you wont have time in the next 5 months to study then take it in september and just have your stuff together so that everything can go into schools on october 1st.

-g

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:27 am

Ultimately, law schools don't care if your UGPA is from community college or HYP. Sure, a top school is a good soft to have, but it really comes down to the numbers and yours are awesome. If you can nail the LSAT, you have a great chance at anywhere.

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:23 pm

This is the feedback I was hoping for. I'm really not into the idea of waiting another year, especially at my age. I guess I just have to slay the LSAT now. No biggie :wink:

Return to “Law School FAQ”