Creativity and Law. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
reasonabledoubt

Silver

Creativity and Law.

Post by reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:10 pm

I've heard reports that law school is a destructive force to the creative-drive. Say it ain't so. Being able to think as well as be creative is something I hold quite dear. In many respects, it's something I almost consider as an essential component of free will.

In any case, what's your take on retaining (even developing) the creative drive and will while in law school? Will it have to be derived through some other channel, completely detached from school, or is it possible to incorporate it through the study of law?

Renzo

Gold

Re: Creativity and Law.

Post by Renzo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:34 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:I've heard reports that law school is a destructive force to the creative-drive. Say it ain't so. Being able to think as well as be creative is something I hold quite dear. In many respects, it's something I almost consider as an essential component of free will.

In any case, what's your take on retaining (even developing) the creative drive and will while in law school? Will it have to be derived through some other channel, completely detached from school, or is it possible to incorporate it through the study of law?
Law is the most anti-creative endeavor I have ever undertaken. Legal writing is the only kind of writing I've ever done where original thought is discouraged, and if you do have to have an original though you are supposed to find a way to make your idea look like it's someone else's idea. I thought I'd do some more creative writing outside of school (I've sold some magazine articles, and thought I'd keep it up), but I don't have any desire to spend one extra minute in front of the computer.

I took up watercolor painting.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Law school does not equal the practice of law.

While the first years of your career (any career) will involve mostly drudgery, you need to be creative to adapt to the needs of your clients, find solutions in legal problems, fuse differing ideas, connect with jurors and make new business connections.

I don't know if that sounds creative enough to you, or if that all ties into your idea of free will ( :roll: ). If you're expecting to have the freedom of a writer, then you're in the wrong field. However, I often find the most creative people are the ones who are able to be brilliant and original within a strict system.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:42 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Law school does not equal the practice of law.

While the first years of your career (any career) will involve mostly drudgery, you need to be creative to adapt to the needs of your clients, find solutions in legal problems, fuse differing ideas, connect with jurors and make new business connections.

I don't know if that sounds creative enough to you, or if that all ties into your idea of free will ( :roll: ). If you're expecting to have the freedom of a writer, then you're in the wrong field. However, I often find the most creative people are the ones who are able to be brilliant and original within a strict system.
Very nice - your last sentence is in line with my take on the subject as well.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Law school does not equal the practice of law.

All this is true, and the bolded part is the challenge that drew me to law school, but it isn't exactly most people's standard conception of creativity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:48 am

Creativity and law?

I don't know much about this, but I'm going to go make myself a peanut butter and ketchup sandwich. Be back later...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:10 pm

traehekat wrote:Creativity and law?

I don't know much about this, but I'm going to go make myself a peanut butter and ketchup sandwich. Be back later...
I'm not gonna lie. I threw up in my mouth a little.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Um...my take is (a) I feel like a truly creative person wouldn't have to think/ask this question and (b) creative people don't refer to themselves as such (by virtue of doing so they are in fact, uncreative, no?). $0.02.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:38 pm

And that response was just a tangent, I know it didn't answer the question and mayve came off harsh (or from left field). Sometimes I just get an eyeroll reaction when people talk about "creativity" because that just seems ironic to me (and I rarely ever use the word ironic).backing out of thread now...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:40 pm

Jewelry making FTW. I'm going to donate a bunch of pieces to my school's public service auction.

People who value creativity can usually find an outlet for it, and it helps a ton when it comes to managing stress. But yeah, Renzo is right about legal writing. *Sigh* No more channeling Victor Hugo if I actually want to pass LRW.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:55 pm

deadatheist wrote:Um...my take is (a) I feel like a truly creative person wouldn't have to think/ask this question and (b) creative people don't refer to themselves as such (by virtue of doing so they are in fact, uncreative, no?). $0.02.
Perhaps you're not creative enough to consider all the ironic possibilities that may have compelled a creative person to ask such a question. A or B? Those are the complete list of plausible reasons? Tsk tsk.... keep your 2 cents, they're a little too one-dimensional.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:10 pm

deadatheist wrote:And that response was just a tangent, I know it didn't answer the question and mayve came off harsh (or from left field). Sometimes I just get an eyeroll reaction when people talk about "creativity" because that just seems ironic to me (and I rarely ever use the word ironic).backing out of thread now...
Burn in pretentious hipster hell.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Renzo wrote:
deadatheist wrote:And that response was just a tangent, I know it didn't answer the question and mayve came off harsh (or from left field). Sometimes I just get an eyeroll reaction when people talk about "creativity" because that just seems ironic to me (and I rarely ever use the word ironic).backing out of thread now...
Burn in pretentious hipster hell.
zomg, that is EXACTLY what i sounded like. i in fact have heard far too many pretentious hipsters wax on about creativity, and perhaps that's where my strong (bad) opinions on the matter of merely discussing "creativity" come from. despite what i said i really didn't mean to offend or seem like a pretentious hipster - so i suppose i want to clarify that slash apologize for the e-bashing. so...let's all chill and write short stories now!?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArthurEdens

New

Post by ArthurEdens » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:32 pm

I don't anticipate law providing a creative outlet. Instead, I'm hoping to spend a little time on the side trying my hand at writing short stories for magazines.

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:45 pm

i iwsh i were creative. i wrote short stories when i was a kid.

now i play call of duty and read scotusblog. i dont even read books.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:28 pm

aIvin adams wrote:i iwsh i were creative. i wrote short stories when i was a kid.

Call of Duty is creative, right? ... Guys? RIGHT!?

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:37 pm

traehekat wrote:
aIvin adams wrote:i iwsh i were creative. i wrote short stories when i was a kid.

yesterday i watched the killcam of someone who got my semtex stuck on their riot shield, they dropped their riot shield by picking up a magnum gun, turned the corner, threw a knife into my buddy and then shot me with the magnum.

i felt inspired. to eat doritos

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Why do you want to go to law school?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:16 pm

aIvin adams wrote:
traehekat wrote:

yesterday i watched the killcam of someone who got my semtex stuck on their riot shield, they dropped their riot shield by picking up a magnum gun, turned the corner, threw a knife into my buddy and then shot me with the magnum.

More impressive than anything Dali has ever done, that is for sure.

jitsrenzo

Bronze

Post by jitsrenzo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:31 pm

I'm not into being "creative" in an artsy-fartsy sense, but I do consider myself creative. I also didn't believe the law could be much of an exercise in creative thinking, but I was wrong. The law allows you to be original, to think in a novel way, and will reward you for it. It's creativity in problem-solving, not artistic expression.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:36 pm

aIvin adams wrote:
traehekat wrote:

HOLLEEEEE SHIT! Tell me you made that up?!?

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”