How does the process of re-applying next year work?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nycparalegal

How does the process of re-applying next year work?

Postby nycparalegal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:12 pm

I am thinking of re-applying next year, after re-taking the LSAT in June. Would I need to reinvent the wheel (redo personal statement, etc.?).

WhyBother?

Re: How does the process of re-applying next year work?

Postby WhyBother? » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:17 pm

It's basically just like applying all over again. I didn't acknowledge that I was a re-applicant other than to let the schools I was admitted to know that I was waiting and why. I made sure to contact the admissions office (usually via e-mail) and let them know that I was withdrawing, not to attend another law school, but because of [insert personal reason for deferring law school here]. It hasn't seemed to hurt me so far.

Good luck.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:24 pm

side question: what if you apply this year, get rejected, and apply again next year? any experiences?

WhyBother?

Postby WhyBother? » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:27 pm

I've been accepted to schools where I applied and was rejected previously. FWIW, My LSAT improved pretty dramatically, into the 99th percentile.

Edit: My cycle so far is consistent with my new LSAT score. It's almost as if I didn't have the old score and didn't apply previously, which makes me believe ad coms don't hold it against us re-applicants.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:35 pm

WhyBother? wrote:I've been accepted to schools where I applied and was rejected previously. FWIW, My LSAT improved pretty dramatically, into the 99th percentile.

Edit: My cycle so far is consistent with my new LSAT score. It's almost as if I didn't have the old score and didn't apply previously, which makes me believe ad coms don't hold it against us re-applicants.

+1, mine is the exact same. So much more than I expected, too.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Same here. I used old LORs and Personal Statement (but sent new copies). I just sent a note saying that I believed they still reflected my interest in/ability to study law. Didn't hurt me a bit.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:42 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:Same here. I used old LORs and Personal Statement (but sent new copies). I just sent a note saying that I believed they still reflected my interest in/ability to study law. Didn't hurt me a bit.

I'm not sure this is true--most schools require that you send a new PS, at least. Any school you didn't apply to previously won't care if you use an old PS, though.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:25 pm

If I were to register for the June LSAT, what happens to my current applications?

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:28 pm

BenJ wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:Same here. I used old LORs and Personal Statement (but sent new copies). I just sent a note saying that I believed they still reflected my interest in/ability to study law. Didn't hurt me a bit.

I'm not sure this is true--most schools require that you send a new PS, at least. Any school you didn't apply to previously won't care if you use an old PS, though.

I specifically asked two schools about this and they said a new PS isn't necessary. Might be different for different schools though.

Diskette15

Postby Diskette15 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm a re-applicant and I agree with virtually all the comments made so far. I will add that assuming that your LSAT increase is considered a "significant improvement", you should expect a cycle based on your GPA and highest LSAT. What is considered "significant improvement", however, seems to be quantified differently by the schools. For example, I seem to recall Cornell stating somewhere on their website that a 3+ increase is essentially in that loose category that I am calling a "significant improvement", while Michigan seemed to indicate that they considered a 5 or 6+ point improvement to be significant. Just keep that in mind.

In terms of personal statements, I think that if you are re-applying to schools from the previous cycle that you should at least make an effort to change your statement up a little bit. I believe that most schools (but not all) keep files from the previous cycle. If they see that you submitted duplicate personal statements it makes it look like you put no effort at all into your application. Contact each school that you are re-applying to and ask what their policy is about re-applicants and personal statements. I seem to remember Duke, for example, wanting an entirely new statement from re-applicants.

Also, it couldn't hurt to get a new LOR (assuming that it will still be a good recommendation) just to keep your re-applications from being redundant. Hope some of this is useful. Reapplying was definitely the right choice for me. Good luck if you decide to reapply too!

Edit: some glaring typos

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:03 pm

Last edited by jocelyne on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diskette15

Postby Diskette15 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:39 pm

jocelyne wrote:will you be accepted again if you were accepted this year?

If you had the stats to get in the first time around, then one would think your chances of being re-admitted are good. Nothing is for certain, but admissions are fairly predictable based on numbers after all....Granted, I think you would probably want to tell that school why you are unable to attend this year and why you anticipate the situation that prevented you from attending the first time around will have been resolved a year from now.

This is my personal opinion, but schools don't want to be "rejected" either and they may not take too kindly to you turning them down with no explanation as to why, only for you to reapply the following year. Again, this is just my personal opinion/experience however limited. (I applied to one school I was accepted at last cycle and have been readmitted) Hopefully other reapplicants will chime in and either agree with me or prove me wrong.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 pm

I asked a question earlier that I was hoping to get answered. If I register for the June test, what happens to my current applications? Will they be placed on hold?

sayruss11

Postby sayruss11 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:52 am

nycparalegal wrote:I asked a question earlier that I was hoping to get answered. If I register for the June test, what happens to my current applications? Will they be placed on hold?

I wouldn´t think so, its not like LSAC would release the fact that you are merely signed up again. Besides your score would come out way too late for them to even care.

But I am in a very similar situation. I am pretty sure that I will be reapplying next year so I can improve my LSAT. Just trying to figure out what I can put on my resume for the year gap besides ¨studying¨

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm in a similar situation, but with a notable exception -- I'm nervous that late submission (most within a week or two of the deadlines) is going to hamstring my otherwise solid application, and am considering waiting a year and applying the day apps open up at my top choices. I won't be retaking the LSAT, as it's solid. Any thoughts?

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 pm

I had a BAAAAAD LSAT, 147, and got rejected at my top choice, and waitlisted for a regional choice. I set up a meeting with the admissions office of the regional school to ask what I needed to do if I were to reapply. She said most schools (them included) scan in and keep records of all prior applications. She told me to do both new LORs and a new personal statement, and re-test for a higher score. She wasn't clear what "higher" score would be. :?

TUhustler

Postby TUhustler » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:52 am

I applied to ten schools last year, was rejected at nine and wait listed at one. FWIW here is some advice, go to the LSAC forum and talk to the individual schools you want to reapply to, there is a good chance (at least in my experience) that they will give you a fee waiver. I spent over $700 my first cycle to get rejected across the board and less than $200 this time around applying to the same number of schools. I think it depends on the school but from what I have observed the ad coms will usually at least look at last years application mainly to see what has changed. I added another LOR and I feel it is a good idea to write a new personal statement. You have over six months to come up with a great essay, even if what you have already is excellent you can always let it sit for a couple of months and then edit it. Also from what I have been told usually when you are rejected from a school it is not because one element of your application was weak. Good luck!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:01 pm

Good to hear that there is some success among re-applicants. I'm a Feb-SnowDelay If I can get the score I got on my most recent PT, I may be reapplying next cycle :-). If that happens, will probably try and get an additional LOR and do tailored Personal Statements. I do like the schools I got into and will be fine if I go to them, but it would be nice to get into a top school (or conversely, get $$$$ and not have BIG debt).

kinch

Postby kinch » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:04 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:side question: what if you apply this year, get rejected, and apply again next year? any experiences?

I was accepted to some schools that rejected me last year. But I also retook the LSAT...

TUhustler

Postby TUhustler » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 pm

kinch wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:side question: what if you apply this year, get rejected, and apply again next year? any experiences?

I was accepted to some schools that rejected me last year. But I also retook the LSAT...

+1 I forgot to mention this in my post I retook the lsat too. I think that in general it is the biggest thing you can do to increase your chances.

Return to “Law School FAQ”