Best Pet For Law School?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Which would you prefer?

Dog
26%
Cat
35%
Fish
25%
Bird
2%
Rabbit
2%
Other
10%

Total votes: 169

kn6542

Re: Best Pet For Law School?

Postby kn6542 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:38 pm

ccs1702 wrote:Image

How did you get ahold of my family photos?

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

kn6542 wrote:How did you get ahold of my family photos?

I lived in the one-bedroom next door.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:51 pm

i'm getting a ball python. free neck rubs and you only have to feed them once a week!
Last edited by jayn3 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:54 pm

The only requirement is that you have to be as loving as a desert.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:00 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:02 pm

awesomepossum wrote:--ImageRemoved--

We're given a free one during orientation, right?

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:03 pm

awesomepossum wrote:Image

FTFY.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:10 pm

kn6542 wrote:
sibley wrote:
kn6542 wrote:Rabbits are great, but you have to get them when they're babies so you can potty train them; an adult rabbit up for adoption probably won't be.

This is wrong. Rabbits are really easily potty trained - they tend to go in one corner and you stick the litter pan there. If you get it as a baby you probably WON'T be able to potty train it since they need to be neutered/spayed to do it (and they need it for health benefits too... girls almost certainly get cancer if they aren't spayed and boy bunnies spray)... and it's like $250. Getting one from a shelter is a much better choice. They tend to already be completely litter trained, or at least are learning. And you don't have to pay the huge expense of altering them.

But rabbits are more like dogs than hamsters or something. They'd make a terrible pet for someone who doesn't want to have to rush home every 6 hours. They're like dogs in that respect, but with the additional chore of having to buy them fresh veggies.

I had a foster rabbit sophomore year. His name was Todd. He was neutered and used his litter box without me having to bribe him to do it. But the first day I had him I left him in his cage to go get him vegetables. I got back 10 minutes later and he was out of his cage laying on my windowsill with his leg hanging down. It was cute. What wasn't cute was when he continuously chewed on his cage trying to get out around 5:30am, waking me up daily. They're not really caged pets and getting one with the expectation that you'll be able to leave it in a cage 24 hours a day except for when you want to play with it is really kind of cruel. Todd was out 4 or more hours a day and he still wasn't satisfied. I eventually switched him to a dog crate so he'd have a little more space (my dog's old one.. he liked her, would climb all over her and chew on her until she ran away).

They don't need to be neutered/spayed to potty train them. My mother bred rabbits, and I don't even know how many babies we trained before they were neutered/spayed. It's diff than potty training a slightly older animal, but it's not the case that you cannot do it.

Also, YOU might not have any problems potty training an older rabbit that has had no guidance for the duration of its life, but the average joe who picks an animal from the shelter that was given up because its owners never managed to teach it anything probably WILL.

Not sure what the problem is with kennel training. If you do that when the animal is young (again, you don't have to neuter/spay before you start teaching it how to function in your home), it will be fine hanging out in the kennel and can come and go as it pleases. You won't need to come home every 6 hrs if you train it properly.

Your mother bred rabbits. Putting aside the humanitarian issues, that's your mother, not you. Also, as soon as those baby rabbits hit puberty they become un-potty trained. That's the issue. And a rabbit should never be allowed loose without supervision unless you have a completely bunny-proofed space. They eat wires. And they NEED fresh greens at least once daily, preferably twice. Todd used to even chew on insulation, and I can't tell you how many dvd wires he snapped even as I saw him going at them and shouted no.

You mention that an average joe might have trouble, but no one should get an animal without knowing about it. Todd was my first rabbit and I had no difficulties with his littler habbits. An average joe getting a pet rabbit should do his research, or else one would expect that he might keep it caged like a hamster, feed it nothing but pellets, and probably keep it in pine shavings (which, by the way, will lead to respiratory problems and kill it). And this was exactly my point. Don't just pick up a rabbit because you think it's gonna be a convenient pet for law school - it won't be.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:12 pm

^^Are you guys really arguing about rabbits?

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:12 pm

ccs1702 wrote:^^Are you guys really arguing about rabbits?

Yep =)
Ever since I took in a foster rabbit (he eventually went to some 16 year old girl who I think had no friends) I'm very sensitive about bunnies. People treat them like shit. They treat them the way that dogs would be treated if someone left them in a crate 24/7, including feeding them in it. As in, very badly.

faceman9000

Postby faceman9000 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:23 pm

There is nothing worse than a pet cat. Unless you wish to continue feeling the cold demonic gaze of heartless, soulless creatures once you've arrived home from a class full of law students.

bees

Postby bees » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:26 pm

faceman9000 wrote:There is nothing worse than a pet cat. Unless you wish to continue feeling the cold demonic gaze of heartless, soulless creatures once you've arrived home from a class full of law students.

+1

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:37 pm

bees wrote:
faceman9000 wrote:There is nothing worse than a pet cat. Unless you wish to continue feeling the cold demonic gaze of heartless, soulless creatures once you've arrived home from a class full of law students.

+1

lolll. I kinda want one. It can sit on my lap while I do my work. And I won't have to let it out at 6am like I do with my dog.

faceman9000

Postby faceman9000 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:49 pm

sibley wrote:
bees wrote:

+1

lolll. I kinda want one. It can sit on my lap while I do my work. And I won't have to let it out at 6am like I do with my dog.

The problem is you get one, and soon you have three, then the next thing you know you have thirty-two cats and spend your days trying to pinpoint when exactly you went insane.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:52 pm

faceman9000 wrote:
sibley wrote:
bees wrote:

+1

The problem is you get one, and soon you have three, then the next thing you know you have thirty-two cats and spend your days trying to pinpoint when exactly you went insane.

Everything in moderation!

I'm of the belief that it's okay to have a cat as long as you also have a significant other. I actually want a cat because I know I can leave it for a weekend if I want to go visit my bf....

beebs

Postby beebs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm going to go with no pet at all.

Unless you like the idea of spending money, time, and energy that's better spent on something else.

Hmm... like law school.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Get a pet black's law dictionary.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:--ImageRemoved--

We're given a free one during orientation, right?

It's like trial by fire. Those who survive having one in their hotel room overnight get a free ride.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:30 pm

If you can tame her.

--ImageRemoved--

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:31 pm

hermit crab

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:34 pm

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:39 pm

ccs1702 wrote:Image

Have you seen Chia Obama? that was one of the most unintentionally funny things I have ever seen.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:41 pm

scionb4 wrote:Have you seen Chia Obama? that was one of the most unintentionally funny things I have ever seen.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous:

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:43 pm

ccs1702 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Have you seen Chia Obama? that was one of the most unintentionally funny things I have ever seen.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous:

:lol:

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:56 pm

HA. i just saw this. made my day.

Return to “Law School FAQ”