Best Pet For Law School? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Which would you prefer?

Dog
26%
Cat
36%
Fish
25%
Bird
2%
Rabbit
2%
Other
10%

Total votes: 171

traehekat

Gold

Best Pet For Law School?

Post by traehekat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:11 am

There are a lot of threads out there about dogs and law school. But is a dog really the best pet?! I know it may depend on what school you are at, but in general, what would you prefer and why?

I wouldn't mind a cat... except I'm allergic.

PDaddy

Gold

Re: Best Pet For Law School?

Post by PDaddy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:17 am

Fish by far! Little to zero noise, little upkeep, relaxing to look at, no floors to clean, no shoes to worry about, no walking.

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:17 am

I'm going to get a cat. I'm not ready for the responsibility of a dog--having to find dogsitters when you go on weekend trips, making sure to walk them everyday. Plus, cat-friendly apartments are easier to find.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:19 am

My apartment is too small for a real pet. If I got anything right now it'd be a fish, and a small one at that.

(I'm aware that this apartment is large enough that I could keep a cat in it. However, it's not large enough that I wouldn't feel guilty for confining an animal I loved in such a small space.)

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:31 am

I voted for rabbit because why is it up there??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:38 am

I'm having both a dog and a fish tank. I'm lucky to be going to school in a cheap housing market with relatively large apartments, so my dog will have plenty of room to roam.

I'm a big animal lover, and I've never been able to have a pet of my own because I have lived in campus housing all four years of college. I'm ready to get a dog, though. Corgi, Jack Russell, and Sheltie are my top three choices right now.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:00 am

DOG

The answer to these questions is always dog, c'mon...

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:28 am

I would get that one breed of dog that stays an adorable and innocent puppy forever (minus the puppy breath), and who instinctively knows how to use a toilet on his own just so long as he has a little ramp to get up there. And his mouth is big enough for him to be able to go into the kitchen and grab me a beer when I'm tied from a long day of studying contracts. What's that breed of dog again?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:37 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:43 am

This is like asking, "what's the best disease to get on vacation?" If you don't have to have one, why would you get one just in time to distract you and suck your time 1L year?

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:06 am

Arctic Fox, if you don't know now you know.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:46 pm

bees wrote:I voted for rabbit because why is it up there??
You've never heard of people having pet rabbits!? We had one when I was little, and my friend and his girlfriend have one as well. They put him on a leash and everything, kind of funny.

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by traehekat on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:47 pm

Chia.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:48 pm

traehekat wrote:
You've never heard of people having pet rabbits!? We had one when I was little, and my friend and his girlfriend have one as well. They put him on a leash and everything, kind of funny.
I've never heard of someone in law school having a rabbit.

"I want to read for Torts but wait I have to clean my rabbit cage because if I don't clean it every few days my apartment is gonna smell like shit."

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:52 pm

The best pet for law school is a pet that belongs to someone else.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:55 pm

A tri-delt. :D

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:57 pm

chimp

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:01 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:A tri-delt. :D
Credited

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:02 pm

Pet rocks remind me of Office Space.

"That guy made a million dollars!"

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:04 pm

PDaddy wrote:Fish by far! Little to zero noise, little upkeep, relaxing to look at, no floors to clean, no shoes to worry about, no walking.
Well you still need to clean the tank every week and maintain the proper parameters. I wouldn't say there is NO work, unless you really don't care if it dies in a few months.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:06 pm

traehekat wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
Rabbits are great, but you have to get them when they're babies so you can potty train them; an adult rabbit up for adoption probably won't be.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:54 pm

kn6542 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
Rabbits are great, but you have to get them when they're babies so you can potty train them; an adult rabbit up for adoption probably won't be.

This is wrong. Rabbits are really easily potty trained - they tend to go in one corner and you stick the litter pan there. If you get it as a baby you probably WON'T be able to potty train it since they need to be neutered/spayed to do it (and they need it for health benefits too... girls almost certainly get cancer if they aren't spayed and boy bunnies spray)... and it's like $250. Getting one from a shelter is a much better choice. They tend to already be completely litter trained, or at least are learning. And you don't have to pay the huge expense of altering them.

But rabbits are more like dogs than hamsters or something. They'd make a terrible pet for someone who doesn't want to have to rush home every 6 hours. They're like dogs in that respect, but with the additional chore of having to buy them fresh veggies.

I had a foster rabbit sophomore year. His name was Todd. He was neutered and used his litter box without me having to bribe him to do it. But the first day I had him I left him in his cage to go get him vegetables. I got back 10 minutes later and he was out of his cage laying on my windowsill with his leg hanging down. It was cute. What wasn't cute was when he continuously chewed on his cage trying to get out around 5:30am, waking me up daily. They're not really caged pets and getting one with the expectation that you'll be able to leave it in a cage 24 hours a day except for when you want to play with it is really kind of cruel. Todd was out 4 or more hours a day and he still wasn't satisfied. I eventually switched him to a dog crate so he'd have a little more space (my dog's old one.. he liked her, would climb all over her and chew on her until she ran away).

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:25 pm

Tamagotchi, anyone?

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:34 pm

sibley wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

This is wrong. Rabbits are really easily potty trained - they tend to go in one corner and you stick the litter pan there. If you get it as a baby you probably WON'T be able to potty train it since they need to be neutered/spayed to do it (and they need it for health benefits too... girls almost certainly get cancer if they aren't spayed and boy bunnies spray)... and it's like $250. Getting one from a shelter is a much better choice. They tend to already be completely litter trained, or at least are learning. And you don't have to pay the huge expense of altering them.

But rabbits are more like dogs than hamsters or something. They'd make a terrible pet for someone who doesn't want to have to rush home every 6 hours. They're like dogs in that respect, but with the additional chore of having to buy them fresh veggies.

I had a foster rabbit sophomore year. His name was Todd. He was neutered and used his litter box without me having to bribe him to do it. But the first day I had him I left him in his cage to go get him vegetables. I got back 10 minutes later and he was out of his cage laying on my windowsill with his leg hanging down. It was cute. What wasn't cute was when he continuously chewed on his cage trying to get out around 5:30am, waking me up daily. They're not really caged pets and getting one with the expectation that you'll be able to leave it in a cage 24 hours a day except for when you want to play with it is really kind of cruel. Todd was out 4 or more hours a day and he still wasn't satisfied. I eventually switched him to a dog crate so he'd have a little more space (my dog's old one.. he liked her, would climb all over her and chew on her until she ran away).

They don't need to be neutered/spayed to potty train them. My mother bred rabbits, and I don't even know how many babies we trained before they were neutered/spayed. It's diff than potty training a slightly older animal, but it's not the case that you cannot do it.

Also, YOU might not have any problems potty training an older rabbit that has had no guidance for the duration of its life, but the average joe who picks an animal from the shelter that was given up because its owners never managed to teach it anything probably WILL.

Not sure what the problem is with kennel training. If you do that when the animal is young (again, you don't have to neuter/spay before you start teaching it how to function in your home), it will be fine hanging out in the kennel and can come and go as it pleases. You won't need to come home every 6 hrs if you train it properly.

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:37 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”