1L and trying to maintain a relationship

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
andi20

1L and trying to maintain a relationship

Postby andi20 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere before, but does anyone have any advice on how to study properly during 1L and also maintain a healthy relationship with a significant other? Right now that is one of my biggest concerns...if it will even be possible to keep up my relationship without my girlfriend feeling neglected. Especially since we will be living 6 hours away, so we won't get to see each other all the time.

JazzOne

Re: 1L and trying to maintain a relationship

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:50 pm

Six hours away? Maybe you could arrange to go home every other weekend or something. I don't see how you're going to spend much time with her unless you neglect your studies. Even if you do manage to go home or have her visit you, there will be much to do, especially as finals draw near. This may not be the answer you were looking for, but your relationship is probably going to suffer if you take law school seriously. Hopefully your SO is secure enough to understand.

Killacam18

Postby Killacam18 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:51 pm

First off I'm a 0L so take what I say with a grain of salt. I did do the LD thing in UG and it actually could almost be easier in a way. We were also ~6 hrs apart and she visited about once a month (I was an athlete and couldn't travel for most of the year). You just need to be disciplined and open with each other about how you're feeling. As with 1L and anything I'm sure if it is important enough to you then you can make it work. The key as with everything is discipline and time management, and on the relationship side just communicate openly and as often as your schedules allow.

Oh and one other suggestion, I would try and refrain from talking shop... you're time together/talking will be rare and important don't waste it talking about things that will be complete irrelevant to your SO.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Killacam18 wrote:First off I'm a 0L so take what I say with a grain of salt. I did do the LD thing in UG and it actually could almost be easier in a way. We were also ~6 hrs apart and she visited about once a month (I was an athlete and couldn't travel for most of the year). You just need to be disciplined and open with each other about how you're feeling. As with 1L and anything I'm sure if it is important enough to you then you can make it work. The key as with everything is discipline and time management, and on the relationship side just communicate openly and as often as your schedules allow.

Oh and one other suggestion, I would try and refrain from talking shop... you're time together/talking will be rare and important don't waste it talking about things that will be complete irrelevant to your SO.

Great response!!!

cao0008

Postby cao0008 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Skype!!!! Everyday at a set time :) I live 3 hours away from my bf but by plane! So be happy, it could be worse.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:51 pm

cao0008 wrote:Skype!!!! Everyday at a set time

Naughty

cao0008

Postby cao0008 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:53 pm

wow... What a dirty mind you have. lol

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:48 pm

i know a few people in 1L now that maintain long distance relationships, and they've been doing fine so far. a lot of them, though, have significant others that are just as busy (i.e., attending other law schools, med school, etc). but it can be done.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:1L should let your girlfriend and you find out a lot about your relationship. If it survives, then I think you have a good thing going.

+1

extempore88

Postby extempore88 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

housie07

Postby housie07 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm in my third year of long distance (coming to an end this summer, thank God), and, like a couple posts above, it will let you know a lot about your relationship. Are you looking forward to talking to her each night (and it better be each night, or it will be every other night, then every few nights, etc.), or does it seem like a burden--like one more thing to cross off your list? That, I think, is the only thing you need to ask yourself. I don't care how busy you are. There is always time to talk, even if it's just fifteen minutes to let her know you're thinking of her.

You get exactly what you give--no more or less.

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Hart did it. Then again, Hart is a god among lawyers.

Return to “Law School FAQ”